Synthetic Oil : OK At First Oil Change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the updated opinion of switching to synthetic oil anytime after 500 miles for your first oil change on a brand new 2016 / 2017 vehicle ? With some high end vehicles shipping from the factory with M1 synthetic oil - is the myth / notion still real that switching to a synthetic too early in a new engine will not allow the engine to break in properly ?

You can run syn in a brand new engine. An engine can't help but to break in no matter what the uninformed seem to think. The difference between syn and conventional oils these days are only at the extremes.

High end cars come from the factory with synthetic. It is safe.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
What is the updated opinion of switching to synthetic oil anytime after 500 miles for your first oil change on a brand new 2016 / 2017 vehicle ? With some high end vehicles shipping from the factory with M1 synthetic oil - is the myth / notion still real that switching to a synthetic too early in a new engine will not allow the engine to break in properly ?

Just do exactly what your new vehicle warranty terms list, OR go to your nearest stealer to get the oil change and service book stamped early if the engine has a problem that trashes the oil, like a HG or injector issue.

No need to change from M1 HC synthetic (It's a fried and filtered dino) to a high tech major brand GTL or G4 Synthoil until the warranty is expired. Then go chase the lowest UOA wear numbers!

Another invalid warranty expert!

Dumping the FF or OEM approved oil far too early can stop the rings bedding in correctly, it's nearly as bad as too much time at idle or severe right boot use on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn

Our $19K Prius did too when new. Pretty exotic vehicles.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Dumping the FF or OEM approved oil far too early can stop the rings bedding in correctly, it's nearly as bad as too much time at idle or severe right boot use on a regular basis.
That is absolute B.S.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: mcrn

Our $19K Prius did too when new. Pretty exotic vehicles.
whistle.gif

It is exotic.

I ran the factory fill until the olm told me it was time to change, and went to Mobil1 0w20 afe.

Yes, no worries...EXCEPT FOR HONDAS because Honda puts anti wear additives in their factory fill and should be run at least 5000 miles before changing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8

That is absolute B.S.

Some of the stuff this guy posts, and then abandons.

The board is littered with it.

You'all do what you want. I break in on a stout Dino.

What's the rush to syn? The thing won't even loosen up until 40,000.

The first fill is based on the metallurgy. Mostly ring material, but also Ni content in the liners or the block, and the final hone pattern/finish.

Now I agree with getting the first oil out, and installing a magnetic drain plug, and slapping a plate magnet on the bottom of the pan. But, if it were my car/truck - it'd get syn-blend at best unless it came from the factory with synthetic, in which case I would know they had it factored in.

Maybe I'm old school (yeah I am ...), but reciprocating aircraft engines don't break in on synthetics, nor marine engines. Almost all the re-man shops and the OEM crate engines come with "use 10W-30 something" to break in. Or straight 30 HD, or something. I supose most OEM MFG's use a blend nowdays...

High end cars almost assuredly come with motors that have been dyno'd. That's a whole different beast than the Kia that was bolted in cold and expected to run first time off the line ...

Plasma faced rings and fine hone finish, yeah, I guess I'd use synthetic if I was pusged into it.

And when I say synthetic, I'm not talking HC Grp III. I mean Ester or PAO based oils ...

If you are going to put in HC Grp III, that's OK by me as it's just fancy Dino oil as far as I'm concerned
laugh.gif

Last edited:
lol......
I guess if you dump out the ff early the engine would blow up.
So I suggest putting oil back in before you use the car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8

That is absolute B.S.

Some of the stuff this guy posts, and then abandons.

The board is littered with it.

I'll give you my real world two cents.
Both the '97 Aersostar 3.0 and the '99 Accord 2.3 VTEC we bought new got their first changes at 1K using synthetic oil.
Both were ultimately totaled by sons at around 175K, with no injuries to either son, thankfully.
Neither emgine showed any consumption up to that point, so I'd say that at least for those engines, the idea of early syn use as well as early FF drains being somehow deleterious is a fairy tale.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Either way matters little.

Gotta be the right answer unless otherwise specified. Beyond the Honda break-in oil mentioned previously and a few others that have a particular protocol ( usually non-mainstream vehicles ), I don't know of too many standard vehicles these days that make an issue out of doing anything oil or break-in related after you're over 1000 miles. When to dump the FF seems generally up to you - I've only seen a few vehicles where it's specifically mentioned to keep it at least 2500 miles or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back