Neglected car- part 3 '95 Caprice 5.7l LT1 970 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know by now, this car was neglected by the previous owner.
Part 1 can be seen here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4222798/1

Part 2: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4223427/1

First time using Wix UOA. Previous 2 were UOA's were by blackstone.

This OCI was ran for 970 miles. Maxlife 5w-30 with CQ Red filter was used for this OCI, therefore, explaining the high sodium. After 970 miles the oil still came out dark. Yes I know darkness doesn't always equate to dirtiness but I believe in this circumstance it does. The
silicon is down from before but still high (78, 91, now 71).
Aluminum (27, 13, now 6),
chromium (7, 5, now 3),
copper (7, 5, now 2),
lead (17, 9, now 6), and
iron (75, 35, now 16)
are all down compared to the previous report. That silicon still worries me.

Mileage at time of change: 58,060
Replacement oil and filter: Mag1 dino 5w-30, NAPA Silver

What is that caution sign in the bottom of the report referring to?

The Need for regular short spaced sampling.
Short run (less than 1k) for such condition?
Below average wearing or contamination?

Last edited:
I would read more under "diagnosis" but I say it looks better and is slowly getting better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gallydif
As some of you may know by now, this car was neglected by the previous owner.
Part 1 can be seen here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4222798/1

Part 2: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4223427/1

First time using Wix UOA. Previous 2 were UOA's were by blackstone.

This OCI was ran for 970 miles. Maxlife 5w-30 with CQ Red filter was used for this OCI, therefore, explaining the high sodium. After 970 miles the oil still came out dark. Yes I know darkness doesn't always equate to dirtiness but I believe in this circumstance it does. The
silicon is down from before but still high (78, 91, now 71).
Aluminum (27, 13, now 6),
chromium (7, 5, now 3),
copper (7, 5, now 2),
lead (17, 9, now 6), and
iron (75, 35, now 16)
are all down compared to the previous report. That silicon still worries me.

Mileage at time of change: 58,060
Replacement oil and filter: Mag1 dino 5w-30, NAPA Silver

What is that caution sign in the bottom of the report referring to?

The caution sign is for the Si, it's boxed on the report. As long as your air filter, assorted plumbing, & PCV is good, I wouldn't worry too much, just keep changing with the cheapest name brand oil you can find, I would try to run a high efficiency filter if possible (Fram EG, TG, Mobil 1, etc.).

High efficency filter may indeed be a good idea. Or change a cheap one every 1000 miles. I agree, oil going black doesn't mean much but on old engines that have been neglected it seems to get darker far quicker and sometimes instantly! In an old mx6 I once owned, the oil went black the minute I changed it! Engine was superb though!

Hi,

why not give Mobil1 0w40 a try for next 1 or 2 k miles?
Its strong TBN>11 will help to clean the engine while viscosity is close to XXw30

Originally Posted By: Bobby_x
Hi,

why not give Mobil1 0w40 a try for next 1 or 2 k miles?
Its strong TBN>11 will help to clean the engine while viscosity is close to XXw30

Because that would be a waste of money even more so than the 1k interval changes on dino oil.. High TBN doesn't make a it a solvent to clean out internals. If he throws a 0w40 in it , it should be run at least 7-8k to get the full benefit of the money and cleaning ability of a stronger oil.

Just run the cheapest name brand dino for 3k intervals and after a few bump up to 5k and run it. I wouldn't even bother with a UOA in the meantime.

You live in Miami, silicon is going to be higher than normal. Just keep your filtration system as tight as possible - look for air cleaner gaps and use grease around the edge of the air filter. For oil, I'd just use any cheap SN 10W-30 and any cheap filter - keep your OCIs at 3000 miles and over a few years your engine will be significantly cleaner. Your only real concern should be that it runs well and will last, not what the inside looks like.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
. Your only real concern should be that it runs well and will last, not what the inside looks like.

^^this^^. 1,000 times ^^this^^

Looks like it is coming along! In your place I would be inclined to use the same oil several times in a row. Maybe PYB which is known for its cleaning ability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Are you using any LC20 in the mix?

How's LC20 work on varnish? I don't have sludge problems bu have a pretty good coating of varnish on the heads...

Maybe a run of Delo 15w40 this time ? Should suspend any contaminates very well maybe even clean some. At any rate it's cheap enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back