Ummmm well that's scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent in a sample to Blackstone on my truck and this is the report I got back today. I took the sample about 2.5 months ago and just got around to sending it in. I think what happened was I got my sample mixed up with my mother in laws sample that I took about 5 months ago. She has a 2012 Kia Optima turbo and was running dealer oil. She doesn't take great care of her car and she lives several hours away so I can't change her oil as often as it needs and she apparently won't take it in. Here's the results that got my heart pumping till I realized what I might (hopefully) have done. The sample I meant to send in of my truck has mostly highway miles. For reference, the first sample at 3880 miles was Mobil Super synthetic and the sample at 3945 miles is Pennzoil Platinum. This sample was supposed to also be Pennzoil Platinum but if it is indeed my mother in laws sample then its whatever her dealership uses.

Last edited:
Good luck explaining that to the MIL.

You could try explaining it to the wife, and then she can explain it to the MIL.

That should work splendidly.

More than 2% fuel contamination is bad news. The oil also thinned down, so I would cut the OCI in half or move up one grade.
No real harm done yet, but try a can of direct feed injection cleaner like LM Diesel Purge (If it's a diesel), or a can of a major brand fuel additive designed for cleaning gum from the injectors.

The latest sample has a lot more sodium than previous samples. Which oil has more sodium in the add-pack, the M1 or the platinum? That's one way to tell which oil was tested.

I found my other sample on my work bench a few minutes ago. I remember the sample I sent in being very very dark black which I thought was unusual (because mine is usually a brownish color). The sample I just found in my bench was my usual brown color so I think it's very likely I sent in her sample. I'll chock that up to being better organized in my garage. I'll send in the correct sample tomorrow and see if they can delete this one from my sheet so it doesn't mess up my averages.

I don't think M1 or Penn Platt use Sodium in their adds, but I've not looked at all the different VOA's of the less popular cheaper versions.
It's a bad idea to use an oil with cheap Na adds if you are a UOA fan, as anti freeze contains Na (Some also has Potassium).

I think PP 0w40 has around 2000 of Ca and M1 0w30 around 3000 ppm. The Fe will probably be higher in the M1 sample due to the cheaper HC synthetic base stock. Incoming!

PS: The present UOA is not M1 0w30 (A3/B4) as the Ca is too low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

I think PP 0w40 has around 2000 of Ca and M1 0w30 around 3000 ppm. The Fe will probably be higher in the M1 sample due to the cheaper HC synthetic base stock. Incoming!

PS: The present UOA is not M1 0w30 (A3/B4) as the Ca is too low.

I think you're responding to too many posts too quickly for your own good and failing to do some basic reading and thinking.

His mother in law's oil is dealer oil from a Kia dealer. His oil is Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

Why you're even talking about Pennzoil Platinum 0w40 is beyond me. As is why you're talking about M1 0w30 Euro oil which is not even sold in the US.

Did you get confused with the signature of the other poster who runs M1 0w30 AFE?

Like I said, going too fast, responding to too many posts. What are they putting in your tea?

LOL!

Yep, gotta love someone spouting off about a oil and a UOA when they know 0, that's ZERO about the oils. Simply amazing

Yea, that Iron level jump is suspicious. Flash point down 105 and fuel % different. If you have not noticed a change in drivability your assumption of a switched sample is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back