Wix vs Purolator "One"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I said German made Mann do some research.

Makes no difference.

You don't want to use Purolator because they are owned by Mann+Hammel (plus the tearing and ADV issues).
You don't want to use Wix just because they are owned by Mann+Hammel.
You will use Mann filters, but they are also owned by Mann+Hammel.

What more research do I need to do? Sure Purolator's are having issues, is it a Mann+Hammel issue, sure, because they are the parent company, but nothing has appeared with Wix filters as far a quality since the buyout.

Or is there something I am missing that you can show me?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Out of those two only - Wix because it isn't a Purolator.

Probably not the only one cut open here, but I wasn't too impressed:

Cut Open Puro PL14610 - Virgin (BLUE, Slotted)

There have been reports of cut ADBV on some of the "new" Puros...

I never thought I would see myself write this, but - I'd put a FRAM on it...
Nothing like showing the OP a cut away of a filter he isn't interested in.

DA. He asked about a Purolator "ONE" and i showed him one.

Guess if the dots aren't numbered it's hard to see what's going on.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Nothing like showing the OP a cut away of a filter he isn't interested in.
DA. He asked about a Purolator "ONE" and i showed him one.
Guess if the dots aren't numbered it's hard to see what's going on.
grin.gif

LOL!

Dealer supplied OEM if it's under warranty!

Otherwise just pick the most expensive of the 2 that Wallymart stock. Steer clear of their oil filter specials unless you can figure out when the filter was made, just look for the use by date or get the bar code read.

I use Mann oil and air filters and when sold in Germany and stamped made in Germany (2 year warranty), they are Gods own filter and will stop anything you don't want in your old block.
I don't use their fuel filters as my Twingo does not have one and my TDI needs a Bosch zig zag special.

Mann own several US companies that make cheaper filters using cheaper components, hence the media tears, blown cans and Iffy valves. Some have made in the US or Mexico as a warning clearly stamped on the can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TmanP
Wix (or the identical Napa Gold) because of the high quality construction and reliability.

This.

No need to point out the differences between Wix(Napa Gold) and Puro currently as blupupher's two posts detail them accurately.

I use the Napa Gold version because I can obtain them

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I have always used Wix but now they are made by Tearolator not anymore. Now I use Mahle, FU, German made Mann, Hengst and a couple of others for trucks or OE.

No, they are made by Wix. Purolator is made by Purolator.
Both Wix and Purolator are owned by the same parent company (Mann+Hummel), but the companies (as of now) are still separate and share no manufacturing facilities or processes. There has not been any posts of decreased quality of Wix filters.

+1

blupupher, I agree with you on this.

Makes no difference.

You don't want to use Purolator because they are owned by Mann+Hammel (plus the tearing and ADV issues).
You don't want to use Wix just because they are owned by Mann+Hammel.
You will use Mann filters, but they are also owned by Mann+Hammel.

What more research do I need to do? Sure Purolator's are having issues, is it a Mann+Hammel issue, sure, because they are the parent company, but nothing has appeared with Wix filters as far a quality since the buyout.

Or is there something I am missing that you can show me?

You need to do a lot of research if you think there is no difference between a German Mann and a US produced Mann.
German made Mann are a whole different animal, they are Mann factory produced filters not made by a company they own using low grade materials with the Mann name slapped on it. Do you know for a fact that Wix is producing all their own filter numbers or have any been farmed out to Purolator? You don't know and that's the point.

The problem isn't with the Mann brand name other than they own a filter brand with poor QC and have done nothing to fix the issues, its that Mann may at some point have Purolater produce other filter brands they own and all of a sudden Wix starts showing up with tears and cut ADBV.
Someone posted a bad Wix on here a few months back.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3823278/1

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

No, they are made by Wix. Purolator is made by Purolator.
Both Wix and Purolator are owned by the same parent company (Mann+Hummel), but the companies (as of now) are still separate and share no manufacturing facilities or processes. There has not been any posts of decreased quality of Wix filters.

+1

blupupher, I agree with you on this.

+2 And unfortunately another bogus thought pushed by the same poster that brought us louvered centertube 'molecular shearing' and Fram Ultra burred centertube holes.
animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

It is true that anecdotal Purolator issues posted, (tears and adbv slits) time wise can be directly tied Mann&Hummel taking sole ownership of Purolator US. That said, as noted there's no evidence that Purolator is currently making any Wix applications. Or that there has been a decrease in the quality of Wix made filters. Until proven otherwise, I'll continue to use Wix/Napa Gold with complete confidence.

You need to do a lot of research if you think there is no difference between a German Mann and a US produced Mann.
German made Mann are a whole different animal, they are Mann factory produced filters not made by a company they own using low grade materials with the Mann name slapped on it. Do you know for a fact that Wix is producing all their own filter numbers or have any been farmed out to Purolator? You don't know and that's the point.

The problem isn't with the Mann brand name other than they own a filter brand with poor QC and have done nothing to fix the issues, its that Mann may at some point have Purolater produce other filter brands they own and all of a sudden Wix starts showing up with tears and cut ADBV.
Someone posted a bad Wix on here a few months back.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3823278/1

I never said German made Mann filters were better or worse than any other filter. My point is that you say Wix has gone to [censored] since being bought out by Mann+Hummel, but offer no proof. The link you posted only talks about the sale, not a single "bad" Wix shown that I could see.
Based on your original comment, any Mann+Hummel owned company that makes filters should be avoided, yet you then turn around and recommend a filter made by a Mann+Hummel company.

Nothing has shown that Wix filters are made by a Putolator factory. Baseplates and other materials for Wix still look like Wix. If Wix filters start showing up with Purolator baseplates and other materials that are known to be Purolator, then we will have proof. Maybe Mann+Hummel will start having some of the cheaper Wix filters (The jobbers, Napa Silver, proselect, Supertech etc) made at a Purolator factory, but again, no proof this is happening.

If you don't want to use Wix because they are owned by Mann+Hamel, fine, your choice, but when you start spreading mis-information, then you will be corrected.

The only problem I've ever had with an oil filter was a NAPA Gold that had a gasket that was too thin and would not seal against the mounting surface. I had to replace it after only two days.

I had a large stash of P1's that I continued to use after the tearing issue popped up and had no problems with any of them. I autopsied all, but never found any tears. I still have all of them and might get around to posting pics someday, but they are very boring, and I would likely be accused of being a shill - so I haven't gotten around to it.

Using Fram Ultras now.

I said..
Quote:
I have always used Wix but now they are made by Tearolator not anymore

Where do I say its not still a good filter or Wix has gone to [censored]? I don't use them anymore simply because I don't trust them to maintain the original quality.
There is a huge difference between a German made Mann and filters produced by their subsidiaries in the US, what is so difficult to understand about that?
You seem to have a serious comprehension problem or you just cant read.

I said..
Quote:
I have always used Wix but now they are made by Tearolator not anymore

Where do I say its not still a good filter or Wix has gone to [censored]? I don't use them anymore simply because I don't trust them to maintain the original quality.
There is a huge difference between a German made Mann and filters produced by their subsidiaries in the US, what is so difficult to understand about that?
You seem to have a serious comprehension problem or you just cant read.

You stated that Wix filters are now made by Purolator and that you won't use them anymore. You don't know that Wix filters are made by Purolator, but you stated it anyway. That's why blupupher and others responded to your post to point it out as misinformation. Like blupupher pointed out, it will be evident if and when Wix/NAPA Gold filters start being made like Purolator filters.

What is the group consensus on the Purolator "BOSS" upgraded filter over the Purolator "ONE" filter?

I just changed the wife Rogue and it had a "ONE" filter in it. I should cut it open to see what I can see.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
What is the group consensus on the Purolator "BOSS" upgraded filter over the Purolator "ONE" filter?

I just changed the wife Rogue and it had a "ONE" filter in it. I should cut it open to see what I can see.

Wix XP/Napa Platinum and Fram Ultra are better, cheaper, and more widely available.

I believe that there is another member on here who would gladly run a German made Mann filter but wouldn't touch a US made Mann filter. This is due to where those filters are being constructed.
There's also a big difference between Japanese made Nissan oil filters and Nissan filters made elsewhere in Asia. The Japanese Nissan filters are of much better quality construction.
So, Trav has a valid point on this part of it all.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I believe that there is another member on here who would gladly run a German made Mann filter but wouldn't touch a US made Mann filter. This is due to where those filters are being constructed.
There's also a big difference between Japanese made Nissan oil filters and Nissan filters made elsewhere in Asia. The Japanese Nissan filters are of much better quality construction.

This thread is about Wix vs Purolator One, and he stated that he would not use Wix filters anymore because they are made by Purolator, which is not something anyone can state as fact yet. There is no evidence that Wix filters are being made at Purolator facilities, and this assumption cannot be made just because they both have the same parent company, Mann+Hummel. And like has been stated, that's what started this "discussion" (which took a turn for the worse when a poster insulted blupupher) to begin with and lead to the responses that followed by blupupher, Sayjac, etc. I am now exiting this thread as I don't see any reason to follow it anymore.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I am certainly one of those people. The 2 filters aren't even in the same league. The media and designs are completely different.

Take a German Mann and a Purolator Classic Mann and run them both to 10k to see which ones are higher quality.

Again I was addressing this particular point..... not ANY of the other part of what you are talking about. That was NOT part of what I addressed in my post here. Good, bad or indifferent the fact remains there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between Mann filters made in Germany and Mann filters made in the US. Just like the Japanese filters are FAR better in quality of construction than the ones made in China or elsewhere in southeast Asia.

Again, I am not talking about US made Wix, Purolator, Motorcraft, Microgard, Humpty Dumpty oil filters etc.... This is about United States made vs German made Mann filters. Which Trav would be and is correct about this point. And this point in particular.

As for the rest of yalls back and forth about US made Wix by M/H... I believe that given all available evidence at this point Wix, Napa oil filters are still very good quality products.

This is a case where I think both sides have valid points are being made and valid concerns are understandable as well. Great day in the morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back