Disagreement with mechanic over trans oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
He's somewhat "right" in "theory" for very high mileage transmissions that have never had the fluid changed.....often on their last legs. Is that what you have? But most Bitogers would generally agree to at least a filter and pan drop for such a high mileage transmission to minimize the "shock."

+1 I kinda agree with him but on a very very very small portion. Most transmissions will benefit from a fluid/filter change unless it is a very high mileage where zero work has ever been done. Otherwise it'll be a good thing to introduce new fluids

Mechanics understand that a certain number of people looking for fluid changes have already noticed something about the transmission operation which indicates a problem. They don't want own it if it blows up just AFTER they do a fluid change.

Mechanics usually have a very poor understanding of engineering principals because their training doesn't include it. They draw their conclusions from personal observations working on used cars, and with lack of fundamental engineering training it is no surprise that these conclusions are usually wrong, although based on valid observations. That's IMO, not an indication that there people are bad mechanics.
Is it really their fault for not recommending something that, from their experience, has a good chance of a come back and blaming them for a bad tranny?

It's easy to play the know it all on BITOG with google at your fingertips.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
He's somewhat "right" in "theory" for very high mileage transmissions that have never had the fluid changed.....often on their last legs. Is that what you have? But most Bitogers would generally agree to at least a filter and pan drop for such a high mileage transmission to minimize the "shock."

+1 I kinda agree with him but on a very very very small portion. Most transmissions will benefit from a fluid/filter change unless it is a very high mileage where zero work has ever been done. Otherwise it'll be a good thing to introduce new fluids

Yeah, I think it's a situational thing where a respectable transmission man would offer that unless there's an underlying issue with a worn transmission he can often make the determination if you're better off leaving the fluid in there for 20-30K more miles ( expected remaining life ) or change the fluid and invite problems. This issue doesn't seem to be one of those situations. Unfortunately, I don't how many "respectable", "honest", "great guy" transmission people are out there if it was a simpler circumstance.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Just for good measure, maybe you could add some powdered newt and dance a little jig while pouring the old fluid back in.

Are you using the same shop on the corner? The older fellow there dices up banana peels to push down the AT fill tube. Smooooth shifts are so nice!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Mechanics understand that a certain number of people looking for fluid changes have already noticed something about the transmission operation which indicates a problem. They don't want own it if it blows up just AFTER they do a fluid change.

Agree, and I would understand the mechanic not wanting to do anything to the trans at all, but suggesting changing the filter and reusing the old fluid makes no sense at all. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing that; if anything you'd get more contamination of the fluid. Either don't touch it, or use new fluid.

I've heard this same "theory" numerous times. Earlier this year I called a local transmission shop with a good reputation and asked them about it. The guy there said he's probably changed the fluid in 10,000 high mileage transmissions and if it was doing any harm he'd know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back