Thinking about a new Tourer. Harley or Indian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me there are are Harley horror stories. My dad's friend had his one year soft tail in twice for primary and transmission failures. It was a 2015 model. He sold it after the second time and got a Honda. Everyone has a lemon sneak out from time to time.

i rode a HD and don't really get it. i was constantly told "you have to ride one to understand"

it wasn't bad (2015 RK 103). it seemed to be assembled pretty darn well and looked really good; like the style had obviously been refined over the years to a fine point. it just didn't really do anything in particular really well. ended up on a kawasaki 1700, which was pretty anonymous in all facets, but was incredibly smooth and something like 30% cheaper with plenty of dealer support. i'll prob change my mind at some point. it all came down to feel. what actually matters is that you ride whatever you buy, and don't just leave it in the garage all season.

Wondering if it's worth bringing into the dealer at 1k for the fluid change and checkup.... Who knows what may have rattled loose by then lol.

I addressed the same issue you did regarding the 1000 mile check. I hate bringing anything to a dealer.
It was the one check I brought it in for, however I changed the oil myself before taking it in. So I only paid for the check, no fluids.

Good luck on your new ride, yes, its a great feeling, best decision my wife and I ever made and for the record, Im not a long term Harley guy.
Its my first one, Im not getting any younger, owned metrics before, the Road King now over 2 years old and still running awesome, over 15,000 miles now and has not needed any warranty work other then a saddlebag latch recall, all maintenance I do myself..

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Trust me there are are Harley horror stories. My dad's friend had his one year soft tail in twice for primary and transmission failures. It was a 2015 model. He sold it after the second time and got a Honda. Everyone has a lemon sneak out from time to time.

I've heard some bad things about some of the newer bikes also. I'm keeping my 2007 (has been almost flawlessly reliable except for compensator sprocket). Newer bikes have a better compensator, though.

Ducati horror stories > Harley horror stories

But I still love my Duc.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I went through the same thing last month. The wife and I rode our Electra Glide to Biketoberfest and saw the Indian Roadmaster. It was love at first sight!

We test rode it and I almost bought one on the spot to ride home. I'm glad that I didn't because after a little reflection, I came to my senses and realized that our Electra Glide suits our needs just fine and 30 grand is a LOT of coin.

The old girl is getting a little aged but I like the evo engine with the gear driven cam. The Harley is paid for, runs great and still looks pretty good.

Good luck with the Roadmaster.

2015-03-29%2018.04.11-L.jpg

Beautiful bike BD, any experience with the HD trikes, looking at one as a future ride.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I've heard some bad things about some of the newer bikes also. I'm keeping my 2007 (has been almost flawlessly reliable except for compensator sprocket). Newer bikes have a better compensator, though.

I've never heard of the MoCo fighting both the customer AND the dealer on a warranty repair.

Everyone has a problem now and then, it is how they deal with it that is enlightening...

I own a Sporty and rent RoadKings. My wife and I love to rack up the miles on a RoadKing. The ergonomics with teh Mustang Saddle on that frame is where the deal comes from. They are just so comfortable. We're both over 60 and we can still do 8 hours in the saddle (with breaks now and then).

I can't do that on either my buds Victory or any of the earlier Indians I have ridden...

For that kind of layout, you gotta ride them and see what fits best. Specs and re-calls are all secondary to actual fit and comfort, and they are all different ...

I put over 245,000 miles on a 1998 Heritage. Wife on the back [censored]' all the way. They don't call them marshmellows for nothing. I have never liked how glide series looked, and my first bike was a 1969 FLH cop bike bought at the New Orleans Police auction in 1976. The new Indians are almost trouble free, but they have too much plastic for me. But they have way more power and torque than the Hogs, and they ride better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back