use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 in diesel engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nyumski
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I can't speak for your specific engine, but I used Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40 in a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke without issue in winter. I suspect that oil was close to Helix since it was the oil Ferrari used in the U.S. dealerships for a while (Quaker State, like Pennzoil, is a U.S. company owned by Shell and they badge their Helix products here as one of the two)...

hallo Nickdfresh, hmm that kind of oil you mentioned before, Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40, it is never sold here. i wish i could have more options of oil in my place. hmm you mean rebadge the oil? interesting.

Shell acquired the Pennzoil-Quaker State oil companies in the 1990's I think. Both were at one time independent lubricant companies and were purchased because of their name recognition here. Shell does badge some of their oils here as Shell, but mainly their Helix line is sold as Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultra Durability (QUSD) synthetics. For a while the QS side was used as the US equivalent of Ultra Shell Helix for US Ferrari dealerships. They decided to use the senior Pennzoil name for their top tier synthetics line and the Euro Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum syns are harder to find here. In 2011 when this happened, they began to dump their QSUD 5W-40 at discount stores here so I picked up a lot of it cheap and I think Pennzoil Platinum Euro is now the equivalent of Shell Helix Ultra...

Platinum Euro 5W-40

Originally Posted By: nyumski
I can't speak for your specific engine, but I used Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40 in a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke without issue in winter. I suspect that oil was close to Helix since it was the oil Ferrari used in the U.S. dealerships for a while (Quaker State, like Pennzoil, is a U.S. company owned by Shell and they badge their Helix products here as one of the two)...

hallo Nickdfresh, hmm that kind of oil you mentioned before, Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40, it is never sold here. i wish i could have more options of oil in my place. hmm you mean rebadge the oil? interesting.

Shell acquired the Pennzoil-Quaker State oil companies in the 1990's I think. Both were at one time independent lubricant companies and were purchased because of their name recognition here. Shell does badge some of their oils here as Shell, but mainly their Helix line is sold as Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultra Durability (QUSD) synthetics. For a while the QS side was used as the US equivalent of Ultra Shell Helix for US Ferrari dealerships. They decided to use the senior Pennzoil name for their top tier synthetics line and the Euro Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum syns are harder to find here. In 2011 when this happened, they began to dump their QSUD 5W-40 at discount stores here so I picked up a lot of it cheap and I think Pennzoil Platinum Euro is now the equivalent of Shell Helix Ultra...

Platinum Euro 5W-40

hmm thanks mate for the info, seems like i will run right oil..2k km before change the oil.

Originally Posted By: dexos
Yes, with this oil you can get an OCI of 10k km.

thx mate
laugh.gif

Hello,

I'm also using Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5w-40 in my 2014 Hyundai Accent 1.6 CRDI (U-II engine). I usually change OEM oil filter every 6mos. Is it okay to change it annually since I could not hit 10,000 kms per year?

Thank you so much.

It depends on the quality of your fuel I guess, do you know how much sulphur you have ?

You can also try a one year OCI and submit an UOA to monitor.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
It depends on the quality of your fuel I guess, do you know how much sulphur you have ?

You can also try a one year OCI and submit an UOA to monitor.

We have Euro 4 fuels or 50 ppm max sulphur content.

Then it should be doable, but it will also depend on many other factor, temperature, driving style, sump capacity, etc.
Wait for other opinions
wink.gif

Then it should be doable, but it will also depend on many other factor, temperature, driving style, sump capacity, etc.
Wait for other opinions
wink.gif

Thanks mate, will also wait for other opinions.

I do OCI at 15.000kms...same engines as yours... Beyond that valve rattle become to noisy...

But OCI in your case really depends on quality of your diesel...if you have low sulphur diesel then proceed with 15kkm oci... If not split your oci by half

Originally Posted By: andrewnathaniel
Hello,

I'm also using Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5w-40 in my 2014 Hyundai Accent 1.6 CRDI (U-II engine). I usually change OEM oil filter every 6mos. Is it okay to change it annually since I could not hit 10,000 kms per year?

Thank you so much.

Hello kuya,

Yes the oil filter can go 20.000 km or 1 year. Some cars have a 30.000 km interval with that same filter 26320-2A500. However, I don't recommend a 20,000 km interval for the oil. Not if you intend to keep the engine past 200,000 km. replacing the timing chain is a very expensive affair if you need to use Hyundai/Kia parts.

If your engine doesn't use a DPF, I would even go with an A3/B4 oil.

In any event, if the oil smells sooty, change it out or be prepared to change gaskets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Hello kuya,

Yes the oil filter can go 20.000 km or 1 year. Some cars have a 30.000 km interval with that same filter 26320-2A500. However, I don't recommend a 20,000 km interval for the oil. Not if you intend to keep the engine past 200,000 km. replacing the timing chain is a very expensive affair if you need to use Hyundai/Kia parts.
In any event, if the oil smells sooty, change it out or be prepared to change gaskets.

Umm, Err, Although Shell Ultra is a real good oil, the only way of knowing if it is good for an extended OCI is to do a few UOA's. The critical figure to check is Fe per mile and if the block is in good condition, it might well be that the figures are better for a longer OCI.

You can't tell if the soot in the oil is an issue as Carbon does not smell. It will make no difference to the HG unless it's so bad that the block starts to sludge up and block the oil pump intake screen (Overheating the top end). You can smell petrol or diesel in engine oil if it's more than around 5%, but only a trained dog could detect the 2% condemnation limit.

Acea A3/B4 is the best oil spec around for a non DPF afflicted engine that is post warranty. It's a fraction better than the E cat and way better than the low ash C cats. Both cats have specific warning about engine wear with certain engine types.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I do OCI at 15.000kms...same engines as yours... Beyond that valve rattle become to noisy...

But OCI in your case really depends on quality of your diesel...if you have low sulphur diesel then proceed with 15kkm oci... If not split your oci by half

Sulphur contamination in diesel is only an issue if you short trip or spend a lot of time at idle. The Sulphur forms an acid at lower temps, but a gas when hotter. The acid is real bad news for the valve guide oil seals, exhaust valve seats and rings.
Luckily all non marine diesel in the EU should be low Sulphur and I think the same is now true in the USA.

If a diesel (Same can be true of a gasser) does start to rattle when warm towards the end of the OCI, the viscosity of the oil is probably at least one grade lower than the initial figure and should be changed.
If the UOA results are OK apart from being too thin, try moving up one SAE grade if you don't want to reduce the OCI.

Last edited:
No I will stay on 5w40 grade... Because I like to do OCI on 15kkm...MAX 20kkm (if not short tripped) anyway

I also forgot to mention that is wise to change fuel (diesel) filter on 40-60kkm (that is not just Hyundai specific!)

It's funny how nowadays the tiny (IMO) diesel fuel filter last 40-60K Km, vs 20 years ago big fuel filter were supposed to last ~15000Km (the manual on my car says replace fuel filter every 15-20000Km, and that filters hold almost 1 Liter!). It is a wise advice.

20 years ago there were no piezzo injectors with tight tolerances...even basic injectors have tighter tolerances nowadays

VS "spray nozzles" in lets say vw G2 engine 20-30 years ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Hello kuya,

Umm, Err, Although Shell Ultra is a real good oil, the only way of knowing if it is good for an extended OCI is to do a few UOA's. The critical figure to check is Fe per mile and if the block is in good condition, it might well be that the figures are better for a longer OCI.

You can't tell if the soot in the oil is an issue as Carbon does not smell. It will make no difference to the HG unless it's so bad that the block starts to sludge up and block the oil pump intake screen (Overheating the top end). You can smell petrol or diesel in engine oil if it's more than around 5%, but only a trained dog could detect the 2% condemnation limit.

Acea A3/B4 is the best oil spec around for a non DPF afflicted engine that is post warranty. It's a fraction better than the E cat and way better than the low ash C cats. Both cats have specific warning about engine wear with certain engine types.

wipe your finger through some egr crud, smell it and THEN tell me again that you can't smell soot....

Indeed - soot is not carbon. It is carboniferous, being a carbon-rich mixture of all sorts of stuff.

What is in "Soot" will vary according to the fuel used and where the deposit is. In the cylinders it's 99% Carbon, in the EGR it's about 90% Carbon and the rest is mostly diesel (Or half burnt petrol). There will also be some oil additives if the engine is an oil burner.
Sludge is also mostly Carbon, BUT does have more fuel and oil in it than soot.

It's funny how nowadays the tiny (IMO) diesel fuel filter last 40-60K Km, vs 20 years ago big fuel filter were supposed to last ~15000Km (the manual on my car says replace fuel filter every 15-20000Km, and that filters hold almost 1 Liter!). It is a wise advice.

How long a fuel filter lasts depends on how dirty the fuel is and sometimes how dirty the tank itself is.

Max change limits vary a lot, Renault say 20K km for my 1.9 TDI, BUT the filter looks OK in visual terms for about 30 to 40K km, although I use Aral, Shell or BP fuel only AND my tank is real clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back