Magnatec 0w20 4k miles, Scion xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle is 2009 Scion xB with 80k miles on it at the time of sampling. Looks like the lab missed a zero and assumed it was 8k miles on the vehicle. Regardless, looks good to me, but it's my first UOA. Any tips or comments are welcomed and appreciated. OCI was a hair over 4k miles. Mostly 40-60 minute bumper to bumper traffic trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You can certainly go much further on the oil.

You really should get a TBN when extending an OCI. If the TBN is a tad too low (I use one third of VOA, rather than just the one figure Blackstone use for a warning), but the rest of the report is good then I often use a major brand idle only oil flush additive just before an oil & filter change to make sure the block stays clean.

Castrol Mag is nearly as good as Edge, but seems to have slightly less in the way of detergent additives. Some versions are low ash (Less Zinc and Phos), as appears to be the case in this UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Great report. Oil Starting to thin.

It's a good report, but the oil is still in limits for a 20 grade. 0.5% fuel is not significant in wear terms and might just be a sampling error caused by lack of at least 30 mins cruise before sampling, or a non mid stream sample.

Very nice report. Still in-grade and showing low wear metals. Even without a TBN reading, i would feel comfortable extending to 7500 miles. Especially knowing these results were garnered after a severe service regimen.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Great report. Oil Starting to thin.

It's a good report, but the oil is still in limits for a 20 grade. 0.5% fuel is not significant in wear terms and might just be a sampling error caused by lack of at least 30 mins cruise before sampling, or a non mid stream sample.
Just noting for the op that the vis starts out at about 9.1 and it's down 1 point. I think it's a great report there's no wear.... the al came in the oil bottle.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Only 0.5 ppm iron per 1000 miles. Are you kidding me?!!

Looks great.

Was surprised too, considering the fact that this engine saw A LOT of WOT and redline smashing. I'm impressed and now want to see how the Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 compares to this.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Very nice report. Still in-grade and showing low wear metals. Even without a TBN reading, i would feel comfortable extending to 7500 miles. Especially knowing these results were garnered after a severe service regimen.

I'm doing the Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis program, and if Pennzoil 0w20 scores worse against the Magnatec on a similar 4k run, then the winner will get a 10k run with a UOA afterwards.

Great to know since I have 16 quarts of it but in the 10w30 variety compliments of the AAP clearance. I'd rather have 0w20, 5w20 or 5w30 but this was all they had left.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Great to know since I have 16 quarts of it but in the 10w30 variety compliments of the AAP clearance. I'd rather have 0w20, 5w20 or 5w30 but this was all they had left.
It will serve you well. A few of my friends have cured valvetrain noises in their engines (Kia and Huyndai vehicles, but still) with the 10w30 and 5w30 flavors. 0w20 and 5w20 worked well too, but the 30 weights just seemed to be a tad better in the noise bandaid task.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: salcuta88
What's up, tyoska! Nice report.
May I ask - Vladislav or Vladimir?

Vladislav

Nice to know how they run quiet with the 30 wts. On the 20 wt bottles it says full synthetic and on the 30 wt bottles it says synthetic blend which is kind of interesting. The 0w20 I'm running in the Matrix now during the winter is pretty loud but fires right up in the morning. I'm almost tempted to see if I can exchange the 10w30 for 5w30 at Walmart, Autozone etc. since it's so cold here now. Will need an oil change in March and probably on the first if not sooner. Already have 7000 miles on the full syn Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
What's up, tyoska! Nice report.
May I ask - Vladislav or Vladimir?

Vladislav

Sweet. Tochno tyoski. What part of NC are you from?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm almost tempted to see if I can exchange the 10w30 for 5w30 at Walmart, Autozone etc. since it's so cold here now.
Worth a try. The worst they can tell you is "NO", or they might swap it out or give you store credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back