Literally Long Lasting Bulbs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today my 01 Pontiac Sunfire had a blown out headlight. The car was manufactured in Sept. of 2000. After looking at this Sylvania head light it was made in June 27 2000! This light comes on as soon as the car goes in gear because it doubles as a DRL. So is this the original bulb? Can a bulb really last 16 years and 140,000 miles? I don't think I have ever heard of an bulb lasting that long.

Wow - factory bulb. I tried the brighter Sylvania bulbs and dead in a year ...

While 16 years is pretty impressive, you also have to consider that it was a fraction of brightness of what it was 16 years ago. It was probably no better then a candle on your hood. I would replace them both. I generally like the cheaper sylvanias. While not at bright as the silverstars etc. they will certainly outlast anything brighter. Bright bulb = less service life

10-4 ... just went back to running a notch above basic now - they almost look yellow after having the nice ones - but reckon that does not hurt in the fog we get on the coast here ... and I have DRL going too ...

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
While 16 years is pretty impressive, you also have to consider that it was a fraction of brightness of what it was 16 years ago. It was probably no better then a candle on your hood. I would replace them both. I generally like the cheaper sylvanias. While not at bright as the silverstars etc. they will certainly outlast anything brighter. Bridget bulb = less service life

Yeah, they weren't very bright. They were OK to drive at night but not all that good. I will mostly like go get some $10 sylvanias

I replaced the OEM bulbs on my 1995 Nissan truck after about 15 years, and then only because the reflector material was flaking off.

I hate Sylvania bulbs. They burn out quickly on my (former) Civic and current CR-V. My Wagner or GE branded bulbs last about 4 times longer.

I agree. Sylvania's OEM bulbs are great but their retail replacements are garbage. Their 'Long Life' bulbs are laughably NOT so.

Go with something else. GE, Wagner, Philips, etc.

I've got a 97 civic and I'm the original owner. I don't think I've ever changed the headlight bulbs and they also are daytime running lights too.

OEM bulbs are more oriented towards long life than brightness. Therefore, it's no surprise at all that the original bulb lasted that long.

DRL usage has essentially zero effect on bulb life, since life is proportional to the -13 (negative 13th) power of voltage. For example, if you double the input voltage, the bulb will last 2^(-13) times as long. Going the other way, running it at half-voltage, the lifespan is (1/2)^(-13) times standard. From this, you can see why the DRL will not shorten the bulb life at all.

Suppose the standard bulb life is 1000 hours when run at standard voltage.
When run at double the voltage, the lifespan would be 1000 * 2^-13 or about 5 minutes.
When run at half-voltage like a DRL, the lifespan would be 1000 * .5^-13 which is almost 1000 years

My 98 S-10 has only had one bulb changed. Not a headlight... Just one rear flasher/tail light bulb.

The high beams are used for DRLs. No issues.

DRLs are also the lesser-used highbeam filament and on your car one bulb does both.

Are you still on your original headlight switch? Those are notoriously bad on J-bodies.

I don't know why, but to me it seems bulbs lasted forever on cars built before 2000. I've never changed them before, now it seems every month on one of the cars.
H7 seems the worst.

My 2 cents on H7's:
1) The plugs are weak and loosen which causes buzzing/heat/resistance so crack the cheap plastic away and crimp the connector and then slide 'em on each blade.
2) And use dielectric grease.

1980 Toyota pickup with Hella 55/100 bulbs. I installed these in October 1980 and I had one burn out finally. I also use relays which must help. I replaced both and I will have to replace the housings next because of pitting in the glass

Originally Posted By: Mitch
1980 Toyota pickup with Hella 55/100 bulbs. I installed these in October 1980 and I had one burn out finally. I also use relays which must help. I replaced both and I will have to replace the housings next because of pitting in the glass

If relays are used and the wiring is done correctly, then that will reduce the lifespan of the bulb.

Relays help deliver higher voltage to the bulb for higher output which reduces bulb life.

LIG010F4.jpg

Halogen bulbs can have their lives shortened by UNDER volting. The cycle which redeposits Tungsten on the filament to prolong life doesn't start until the bulb reaches a high temperature.
Google "Tungsten-halogen cycle". Ever wonder why halogen DRL systems using the headlamp bulbs don't last very long?

Originally Posted By: Mitch

Well this must be some sort of a record! 1980!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back