rhinogear rhino ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on the level ground proviso.

With a car driven onto the driveway from the street (perpendicular apron-nothin' fancy)
My driveway is slightly "uphill" which I think is OK but it tips or leans to the left (downhill side).

I've seen my Rhino ramps warping a bit under load. I just wish they were "stronger".
By that I mean stiffer and firmer-less prone to "trapazoiding". Kira

I tried some pieces of toolbox liner under my Rhino ramps to keep them from sliding and the ramps cut through the material after a few uses. I ended up buying some cheap and ugly rubber backed bath mats at Walmart, put them rubber side down on the concrete and the ramps on top. Worked like a charm.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I bought a set of RR from PepBoys a few months ago but I find that they slip when I try to drive up on them just like metal ones.
Does anybody know how to avoid having them slip?

I've found using the park brake instead of the brake pedal keeps the ramps from kicking out. Just remember to use it as well when backing off. I've had my ramps since the week they were first available for sale.

I've had a set for a couple years now, great for oil changes. There are two things I need to note, always use them on solid ground. I did an oil change on a gravel driveway and it was super sketchy. Another is it might not hurt to have someone spot you. The back-stops are a little lacking; I've went over them once.

In action:

20161015_132645_zpsws6aqvji.jpg

JC: Yes - Google homemade car ramps on "Image" ... the first to come up look like mine. It is important to make first "step" long enough so the vehicle pins the ramp.
I have used them all: steel I welded, steel formed, composites etc ...
Best results in tougher cases (4WD/AWD going up 4 ramps, or even RWD) has been stair stepper woodies ...
(Screw and glue normal lumber, not treated).

Probably not a popular option in this thread, but nobody has mentioned it.

I just make up some cribbing and set the vehicle on it. Last stuff I made was from 2x6, but 2x4 or anything would work fine. I think I used 3-4 "levels" to get our Mazda off the ground far enough.

Probably not as easy as drive on, but I'm also skeered of driving over the ramps.

I don't use anything on the 4Runner, but with all its skid plates I might start using cribbing there as well. It's just high enough to work, but would be a lot nicer if it was a little higher.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I bought a set of RR from PepBoys a few months ago but I find that they slip when I try to drive up on them just like metal ones.
Does anybody know how to avoid having them slip?

Do yours have soft rubber squares on the front underside? That's an important element.

I typically drive up to about where I want the car to be, then put the ramps at the tires, and kick them in to wedge them tight. Then go slow. Have not had issues with them moving along when Ive done that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I typically drive up to about where I want the car to be, then put the ramps at the tires, and kick them in to wedge them tight. Then go slow. Have not had issues with them moving along when Ive done that.

x2 This is exactly my practice, been using these ramps for 15 years and have never had an issue with slipping, driving over them, etc.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp

x2 This is exactly my practice, been using these ramps for 15 years and have never had an issue with slipping, driving over them, etc.

jeff

Out of curiosity, what is the life limit on plastic ramps???

Mine are about 13 years old... never left outdoors/with UV exposure, and are generally between 20-80F... Not abusive. Wonder if they expire....

Out of curiosity, what is the life limit on plastic ramps???

Good question! I actually used the first set (older style 12,000 lb model) for about 13 years, then got a newer set of the higher capacity ones last summer. Sold my 2003 9-5 Aero and bought the wife an Odyssey
31.gif
leaving me with the Accord so I no longer needed the lower profile of the old ones and figured a new pair couldn't be a bad idea. Mine have been kept in an unconditioned garage the whole time.

As to the question, the Hopkins/Flotool website and catalogue do not mention a useful lifespan.

jeff

I have an old set of the RhinoRamps. They are probably 20 years old now. I've only used them a half dozen times to date because I've never had to raise the front end of the car to do an oil change. Now that we have our 2015 Corolla with the low clearance bumper, I have to raise the front end. I don't like the RhinoRamps too much. I'm always extremely nervous revving the engine to get it to go up the short incline ramp and then stopping immediately before I fear it is about to go over the ends! I think the incline distance you have to work with is too small. I'm trying to find a better set with a longer incline you can more gradually drive up on. I found a set of aluminum ramps on DiscountRamps but they were made overseas and were over $200 as I recall. I looked online at a set of RaceRamps but they too are some sort of plastic composite.

Why not make a set - just make sure the first board the tire hits is long enough for the first 1-1/2" of lift - and from there the car has pinned the ramp for the climb. I do everything in my signature with these - and do 4 of them on 4WD/AWD ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back