Would you use 4 1/2 year old Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated before our shop has 100s of cases of mobil one unused (1989) SF! (Indy car program) We dont sell it but use it in the shop fleet..No issues what so ever. Even in the newer cars and trucks here its fine. i laugh at questions of 5 year old oil.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I would use it.
But first, SHAKE the bottles.
Reason: To mix the Additive Pack with the Oil.

And you'all don't think a spinning engine at say 3,000 RPM will do all the mixing you could ever want ...

Yeah, I'd use it a heart beat if I had anything in the driveway under 100,000 miles (I don't). Too thin for my fleet ...

It won't mix it if the additives have settled to the bottom of the bottle and don't get poured out when added to the engine. The bottles needed to be really warm and they need to be shaken vigorously and then added. I have seen settling with my own eyes and doing this method gets everything going again. If they are in a cold garage they need to be brought up to slightly more than room temperature, preferably over night before added.

I'm running 44 year old Quaker State conventional in my Datsun so I think these threads are sort of silly. Of course 4 year old oil is fine. Stored in a dark, cool environment, it'll last quite a while. (IE longer than us)

Dang, wouldn't that old QS be worth more on eBay than in your motor - what is the container ?

Use it, Im using 5 year old PP with no issue, have more in stock. It happens when you have an oil stash.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Carbide
I keep all my oil in the freezer for maximum freshness.

Post a picture. And you do know that could do more harm than good?

Storing something at lowered temperatures is to inhibit chemical reactions from taking place. That's not happing for new oil in a sealed container.

I was kidding.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Zsa Zsa says, "Use it, daahling!"

Nagyon jo!
lol.gif

Amsoil for example recommends storing oil 10°F above it's pour point, so as long as your stash didn't come from a woodshed in the Yukon you'll be fine. I'd use it without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
give it a good shake and go nuts

...and the oil too.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back