Aftermarket GM 4T65E / 4T60 Tranny Filter Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I noticed the aftermarket tranny filter for my 4T65E tranny did not seat all the way into the tranny and looked a little off, I noticed that a metal edge of the filter was hanging up against the inside of the tranny, so I took it out and bent over the metal edge til it cleared.

May not affect every "brand" of aftermarket filter, but since even GM gets it's filters from China, anything is possible!

Just found out other folks noticed the same thing. There's Pics in the PDF below:

"ALERT: AFTERMARKET TRANSMISSION FILTERS"

Link: https://app.box.com/s/sqsa3zk7pshzojavmkg9

Since the metal edge is not a considered part of the critical "fit/function" check, the chinese had no tranny to realize the edge does not hang in space but contacts the tranny inside, it looks like a .050" interference.

Boo to pro king ( and whatever limited investment partnership may own them) for no quality on the product for installation.
quick to go to china but slow to do QC work

I just installed a Autozone Duralast tf207 a month ago and the fit was fine. No issues, I shoved it up all the way and it cleared just fine. It was made in China.

I recently used a NAPA kit and everything fit fine.I would bet the pan may not fit if it hung down too low anyways.

Last edited:
The last filter I got from CarQuest had that issue, I just bent that piece to clear the inside, no issues the 30K I ran it. I purchased a AcDelco Filtran filter and it fit right this time. I think they are made in china also but Filtran is supposedly a better name brand...

Originally Posted By: Huie83
The last filter I got from CarQuest had that issue, I just bent that piece to clear the inside, no issues the 30K I ran it. I purchased a AcDelco Filtran filter and it fit right this time. I think they are made in china also but Filtran is supposedly a better name brand...

Yes Filtran is probably the "best" of the Chinese parts if you can compare them directly, but the quality of how well the filter seats into the tranny is what suffered the most from them shipping off shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back