Under Valve Cover Photos - '96 Maxima 3.0L w/ 220k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a 1996 Maxima GXE w/ the VQ30DE and 4sp AT, one of the first years for this engine. I got it at 200K, it currently has 220k. I replaced all suspension components, and now am focusing on refreshing the engine. It has very uneven fuel trims and a code for knock sensor and EGR something-or-other. Found a mouse nest in the valley which chewed apart the knock sensor wiring, and I think it needs a good EGR cleaning and refurbed injectors. While doing this work, I'm replacing valve cover gaskets. They're not leaking, but for preventative maint.-- this engine is a total (insert expletive) nightmare to work on in this car-- very 1990's-- lots of vacuum hoses, redundant sensors, terrible EGR plumbing, just things you don't find on modern cars. I don't want to take off the intake again if I can avoid it!

Figured I'd post some pics under the valve covers. My mom bought the car around 2000 with 30k on the clock. She used Big O Tires for service (Pennzoil oil I think, not exactly sure what they use) up to about 100k. It spent that time in Southern Nevada, then she moved to St. Louis, MO area and started using Valvoline Quick-Lube (white bottle till about 175k, then Maxlife after that). I've used GC 0w-30, and the last OC was with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 (the Dodge SRT branded stuff). Engine has no major leaks, just minor seeping around the front cover / crankshaft seal area that you'd expect on a car this old. Car runs great otherwise and looks to a contender for reaching 300k+!

Let me know what you think-- photos below:

Front bank:
engine1.jpg

Rear bank:
engine2.jpg

Engine bay:
engine3.jpg

I agree,for a 220,000 mile engine without knowing the history it looks great actually! Keep running a goos 40wt in it and you'll go into the 400,000+mile range and beyond. If it were mine,I'd go with Castrol Edge 40wt.

I'm very familiar with that job as ive done it twice on my VQ30. I would hate to do it again. I would agree they could of made it super easier.

I have a long mounted VQ35 in my g35 and its so much easier to do VC gaskets on that one. But with spark plug tube gaskets being built in to the VC, its a lot more $$. OEM is like $250 per plastic VC.

Overall looks clean for a VQ, the main that that kills a 4th gen maxima is rust. Plenty of them in the 300k range with little work. Ive seen and driven like 3 myself.

Looking good. My '96 Arctic Pearl 5 speed is at 329,000 miles right now. I just replaced an OEM Nissan clutch (not sure if original though) last weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back