Dealer rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's a 2 piece lugnut?

Generally, a nut that has a chrome "sleeve" over top of it making it actually two pieces.

yeah, I have those too. Never had a car with them before.

Cant say I'm a fan.

What's a 2 piece lugnut?

Generally, a nut that has a chrome "sleeve" over top of it making it actually two pieces.

My Trofeo had these and the chrome sleeves eventually all fell off :p

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
What's a 2 piece lugnut?

Cant say I'm a fan.

I also have them. The OEM ones are fine, but the cheap replacements suck and the chrome piece falls off eventually.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Your torque wrench may not be accurate to 10 ft-lbs (it's ft-lbs, not ft/lbs.)

Did you actually check at 10 ft-lbs and note movement or are you guessing, because you got movement when you checked at normal torque spec? If the latter, how much movement did you note?

One nut took 1.5 turns, the other took about 1/5.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Rather than a childish rant about it on a discussion forum, why not call the service department and discuss it with them first?

I get a kick out of people like you thinking your the world's nanny..........LOL
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
What's a 2 piece lugnut?

Cant say I'm a fan.

I'm not a fan either. They would swell and need to be replaced on the wife's Charger and they weren't cheap. I was inclined to replace them with non-covered ones, which are available aftermarket, and a fair bit less expensive than OEM.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Your torque wrench may not be accurate to 10 ft-lbs (it's ft-lbs, not ft/lbs.)

Did you actually check at 10 ft-lbs and note movement or are you guessing, because you got movement when you checked at normal torque spec? If the latter, how much movement did you note?

Did you read the post before responding to it?

I'm confused; did I miss something? He said he took his torque wrench and found three loose. My question was, in other words:

1. Did OP check with his torque wrench set at normal spec (e.g., something like 85 ft-lbs) and, as he checked them tight, noticed three of them actually rotated excessively before reaching the final torque value?; OR

2. Did OP check with his torque wrench set initially to a low torque value,

Originally Posted By: Doog
3....count em THREE loose lug nuts
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
They didn't have 10 ft/lbs on them.
mad.gif

Good question: The torque setting is 77 ft lbs. So, I always take my TW and set it at 80 ft lbs. then hit all the lug nuts. 99% of the time the wrench simply clicks off with moderate pressure so I know they are at 80. I had 1 take 1.5 complete turns (loose) and 2 take about 1/5 of a turn before clicking off. (so my guesstimate is 10 ft.lbs. )

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
are your lugnuts of the 2 piece variety? about half of mine will feel lose but its only the looseness between the two seprate pieces of my lugnuts.

I have had 8 Toyotas...all have the 2 piece. The only way they get ruined is if some jamoke cranks them over 100 ft-lbs with an air wrench. Then they seperate. You can tell because they get deformed and difficult to get out of your socket.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
You don't speak for me sir, I also think it is childish and bad form, but then again 1/3 of most posts in the off topic forum fit this definition.

Oh my.
Are you not entertained?

You read the post, and all the replies to it.
And you even decided to contribute.

Yet, you're complaining about an off topic thread in the off topic section of the forum.
Technically, this probably should have been posted in the Tires & Wheels section, but no one seemed to complain about the incorrect location of the post at all.

Maybe you and Pop_Rivit just like to complain more than the average forum member?

BC.

Just because a mechanic or tire changer uses a torque wrench does not guarantee the wrench was set at the proper torque for that particular application.
After any wheel removal, I always double check with my accurately calibrated torque wrench.
Nothing like having a lug nut so tight it will not back off with a lug wrench on a dark and rainy night in Georgia.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back