Glycol Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the better glycol testers that don't utilize specific gravity charts? This would be for ethylene & propylene glycol. I would prefer that it be made in the USA.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I personally like refractometers. More accurate.

As to where to find a us one....

+1 Specific gravity testers don't work reliably on anything but ethylene glycol. Refractometers generally have a reliable scale for both major types of antifreeze. Plus, you can check their basic accuracy with some tap water.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Here is one refractometer. http://www.extech.com/display/?id=14687

I've been using that one for years without a problem. The OP says he wants one made in the US.
Graingers has a few in the $450 range that are made in Japan. I don't see any made in the US at any price.
Amazon has cheapies for $20 and I'd bet they work ok. These are simple devices, no rocket science here.

Go to ebay and pick up a used Misco refractometer. Very high quality. I got a like new one for 30 bucks last year. I see there are a few on there for $25 now. There's one buy it now for 14 with 12 shipping. They're made in India.

Forgot to say, we've used a Misco at work for the last 15 years and my dad has used his for 20 years. I got tired of the plastic housing cracking on my float style, so I got myself one. Mine is a newer model than the other's I've used but quality feels the same and mine has a light built into it, makes it easier to use than the older models.

Originally Posted By: Kgrant
Go to ebay and pick up a used Misco refractometer. Very high quality. I got a like new one for 30 bucks last year. I see there are a few on there for $25 now. There's one buy it now for 14 with 12 shipping. They're made in India.

Which one?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What are some of the better glycol testers that don't utilize specific gravity charts? This would be for ethylene & propylene glycol. I would prefer that it be made in the USA.

Thanks,

Found the Leica dc70, it's made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Originally Posted By: Kgrant

Which one?

The 7084VP

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I personally like refractometers. More accurate.

As to where to find a us one....

The older red Reichert refractometers are made in the USA. I found a few like new ones on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back