Holiday luncheon @ work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let's just say you work at a large company that is having a holiday luncheon and you don't want to attend because you can't stand the sight of most of them... what's a good excuse not to go? It's in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday so it's not like having "family plans" will work.

You could always say you are sick...

We have one every year at work. I usually end up sitting with a table of technicians instead of my own department. We get to hear the GM talk about all the money we didn't make but that parts department is the best thing in the world, actually we are the highest grossing department at all of our owners stores. Then they hand out the bonuses, but parts always gets the shaft because ours are based on inventory numbers which is done in January.

As is typical every year, as soon as everyone gets to the showroom for the meeting someone comes for parts and then one of us parts people gets yelled at for not being at the counter. I had to come in my day off for a meeting. I was going to bail but my boss insisted I "had to" be there. I get there obviously not in work clothes and a sales person grabbed me and told me to help a customer, I answered in my usual not at work tone and he looked all shocked as our GM announced I was the employee of the year.

Like Doug on King of Queens, you could fake a heart attack!
25.gif

Sounds like you need to update your resume. I wouldn't want to work in a place that I can't stand to eat lunch with my coworkers.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
You go. Part of being an adult is tolerating people you don't like.

Another part of being an adult is making your own decisions on who you eat with, and since this is something off company property, at a restaurant that has nothing that I'm willing to eat, I don't feel the need to go.

I agree with the others that you go because it is the adult thing to do.

You also eat the food that is served to you without complaining.

Either work from home, call out sick that day or go. No other way around it.

It sounds like you need a career change. If you cant stand the people you work with are you really doing good work with them? I am a fairly high up manager in my company and I have seen countless times groups collapse because there are issues with the team members.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sounds like you need to update your resume. I wouldn't want to work in a place that I can't stand to eat lunch with my coworkers.

Agreed

Originally Posted By: montero1
So let's just say you work at a large company that is having a holiday luncheon and you don't want to attend because you can't stand the sight of most of them... what's a good excuse not to go? It's in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday so it's not like having "family plans" will work.

Dentist appointment always works.

I've been telecommuting for almost 10 years, but when I did work in the office I had one simple rule:I am here TO WORK...AND NOTHING ELSE. As long as there is WORK to do then I will be WORKING. The rest can eat or play silly games but as for me, either let me WORK or let me LEAVE. I do not require the Company to feed me, and I can waste my time better than the Company can. Furthermore, after you insist that we waste time with this nonsense DO NOT come to me with the idea that you are offering extra hours or worse, mandatory overtime because you are in danger of missing a client deadline and don't plead with me with those puppy-dog eyes or hint that failure to comply will cause bad vibes with management. It's INSULTING!!! I have my own deadlines and schedules.

Last edited:

You should've known better than to ask that type of question around here. People around here get all high and mighty faster than Snoop Dogg smokes a joint.

You're an adult, you don't need an excuse.

Simply don't go.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I've been telecommuting for almost 10 years, but when I did work in the office I had one simple rule:I am here TO WORK...AND NOTHING ELSE. As long as there is WORK to do then I will be WORKING. The rest can eat or play silly games but as for me, either let me WORK or let me LEAVE. I do not require the Company to feed me, and I can waste my time better than the Company can. Furthermore, after you insist that we waste time with this nonsense DO NOT come to me with the idea that you are offering extra hours or worse, mandatory overtime because you are in danger of missing a client deadline and don't plead with me with those puppy-dog eyes or hint that failure to comply will cause bad vibes with management. It's INSULTING!!! I have my own deadlines and schedules.

Love it. I feel the exact same way.

Get drunk and make a huge a$$ out of yourself. Fall over some tables and break a few things.

Next year they will just give everyone gift cards instead of a party.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Get drunk and make a huge a$$ out of yourself. Fall over some tables and break a few things.

Next year they will just give everyone gift cards instead of a party.

just make sure you get a taxi for the ride home, or tell someone else your plan so they can get you a taxi so you don't end up at the morgue and take a few innocent people with you...

other wise this was kind'er funny there srt20! made me laugh until i thought of the consequences
smile.gif

What sort of person works at a job where he can't stand the sight of most of his coworkers? Man up and go-you're part of a team at work, and if you don't think that way then find a job where you fit in better.

Timely... I had one today.

I showed up on time, ate, made sure my boss saw me there, grabbed a cup of coffee on the way out, quietly left, and got back to work.

The room that it was held in was way too loud, and the two women who continually kept trying to laugh louder than the other one (like it was some sort of competition), helped me to decide when it was time to depart.

As far as the two women, these two are annoying like that. Unfortunately, it could be easily expected out of both of them. There's never any doubt when they're in a room. And there weren't any Rum balls either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back