Magnefine Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, How many months/miles can i use a Magnefine transmission/P.s. filter and how long before it needs to be changed? Thanks.

Depends on your driving habits.

If you're a city driver, I'd inspect it at 15-20k miles and decide from there. If you spend a ton of time on the highway, it could be good for 80k miles or even more.

It really depends on how you drive and the actual transmission (ie, how much clutch material it sheds)

You want to changed it before it clogs, basically.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Try looking in your owners manual or downloading a copy. A local stealer will also know better than most.

Why would an owner's manual have any relevant information on how long an aftermarket filter should be used?

The OEM didn't install it, the OP did.

Answer depends on the 'current' condition of the fluid(s).
Transmission: Was the Filter (in Pan) ever changed ? ? ?

I installed a Magnafine on my Transmission and Power Steering.
I changed the Transmission (Magnafine) Filter when it had 33,000 miles.
The Magnet had a 'very thin' layer of black paste on it.
The Paper Element looked clean.

I figure I'll go 50,000 next time.

The Power Steering (Magnifine) Filter I'll go 50,000 miles.

20k easily, maybe 36k.

When you pull it and unscrew and look you will probably find not much in media section and metal paste on magnet.

Do not reinstall one after you have unscrewed it.

I would shoot for 20k to 25k.

Magnefine has recommendations on the filter change intervals . They would be the best source for the proper information .

I've run these for several years on various cars of mine that made it to ~250K+ miles before the automatic transmissions finally died. I currently run it on my Optima SX now at 56K miles. I initially installed it at ~8K miles and then when I changed (drain/fill) my ATF, I replaced it at ~36K miles. Upon inspection, I was surprised at how fine the metal "mush" was and how clean the filter media was so I felt pretty good at saying in my application I could go 50K miles. These are super cheap (~$15) to purchase and replace so do whatever you feel comfortable with doing. I think these are excellent aftermarket devices, just make sure you buy a "real" one direct from the USA distributor. Never had any issues with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back