USPS stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I mailed a UOA sample 2 weeks ago (11/22/16) from NY to Ohio and it is still "In Transit" according to USPS tracking.

The First Class receipt said "Expected delivery on 11/25/16"....and as of today it still hasn't arrived....is it any wonder the USPS is FAILING....

They seem to be overwhelmed by all the Amazon traffic, especially during Thanksgiving/black friday and Christmas time. This is the time of the year when they miss the expected delivery dates the most, in my experience.

Many have found that the best way to avoid delays like this, is to disguise what it is that you're sending. If the USPS thinks it is something that they don't want to transport, it'll take forever. That's how they "get even" with you.

When I send a sample to Blackstone Labs, I drop the word "Labs" and simply put "Blackstone" along with the address on the label. I also never send it using the black plastic tube container, I put the tube inside of a small cardboard box, and stuff newspaper around it so it doesn't rattle, and so the oil can't be heard inside when shaken.

If I do this, it arrives in three days or less... every time.

I sent some cartridge filters to another member in Kansas City in a reused Amazon box in February, first class only. Arrived in two days. Thought that was great service at the lowest cost.

Recently sent an oil sample to Atlanta, lab Wix/Napa Gold uses. Took two weeks but in fairness they put a warning that if not in an envelope or box it would be 'delayed' and take that long. So no surprise because I shipped in original round container. I now see BlSt uses rectangular container, perhaps for that reason.

So think it may depend on package. I've got no complaints about USPS.

i buy tons of stuff online and sell some on ebay and never ever had problems with USPS except for one package with a major delay when seller didn't put enough postage on it.
fedex "smartpost" is a different story. slow, slow, slow. they are the cheapest though.

They handle billions of packages monthly and I really can't complain at the service I have received.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Many have found that the best way to avoid delays like this, is to disguise what it is that you're sending. If the USPS thinks it is something that they don't want to transport, it'll take forever. That's how they "get even" with you.

When I send a sample to Blackstone Labs, I drop the word "Labs" and simply put "Blackstone" along with the address on the label. I also never send it using the black plastic tube container, I put the tube inside of a small cardboard box, and stuff newspaper around it so it doesn't rattle, and so the oil can't be heard inside when shaken.

To clarify, the USPS considers UOA samples to be hazardous in nature because they are flammable and the containers can leak. The above post is the best way to mail any UOA sample. If you're too lazy to do so, you have no room to complain.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I mailed a UOA sample 2 weeks ago (11/22/16) from NY to Ohio and it is still "In Transit" according to USPS tracking.

The First Class receipt said "Expected delivery on 11/25/16"....and as of today it still hasn't arrived....is it any wonder the USPS is FAILING....
The excessive retirement benefits is why the Post Office is failing . Just like all government jobs huge retirement costs. Some day the taxpayers will wake up ... never mind Californis is really in bad shape because of the retirement costs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They seem to be overwhelmed by all the Amazon traffic, especially during Thanksgiving/black friday and Christmas time. This is the time of the year when they miss the expected delivery dates the most, in my experience.

UPS and FedEx do the same heavy volume and are far more efficient than our government run post office....I wonder why?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

To clarify, the USPS considers UOA samples to be hazardous in nature because they are flammable and the containers can leak. The above post is the best way to mail any UOA sample. If you're too lazy to do so, you have no room to complain.

I followed the instructions....maybe the UOA labs need to change (disguise) their containers....at any rate 'following instructions' does not make a person 'lazy'. I reiterate my statement that the USPS suc*s.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
To clarify, the USPS considers UOA samples to be hazardous in nature because they are flammable and the containers can leak.

Incorrect.

Post%20Office%20Letter(2).jpg

I post this regularly in response to USPS UOA gripes:
  • Get an account at the USPS website

• Print out a prepaid Priority Mail label

• Attach the label to a plain box or padded envelope and put the package in your mailbox, or request free pickup and leave it on your porch
The extra $3 that you spent on Priority Mail just saved you a trip to the Post Office, a possible argument about hazardous materials, and the stress from package delays. I don't have a lot of spare time, so the 10 minutes of driving each way plus time spent in line is worth $3 to me.

First Class isn't guranteed for any time frame; expect it to take a while and be pleased if it gets somewhere expediently.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

UPS and FedEx do the same heavy volume and are far more efficient than our government run post office....I wonder why?
For starters, because they hand off the undesirable deliveries to the USPS. Next time you get an Amazon or UPS package delivered, check who *really* did the final delivery.

They also don't deliver weekends. USPS does.

I'm currently waiting for a UPS package that was supposed to be delivered by 12/1. UPS' reason for the delay, a late trailer - one late trailer and almost a week's delay? So they're not all that and a bag of chips either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back