Newer "Doc" video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice plane and all that but those stop/start video's go on my nerves. Whats up with all the dents around the windows and unpolished panels? Maybe I don't understand the point of the restoration but to me its like leaving the dents in the fender of a old car being restored and only rechroming one bumper. The engine noise doesn't sound right for an engine at speed.
The whole thing disturbs me so I shut it off.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nice plane and all that but those stop/start video's go on my nerves. Whats up with all the dents around the windows and unpolished panels? Maybe I don't understand the point of the restoration but to me its like leaving the dents in the fender of a old car being restored and only rechroming one bumper. The engine noise doesn't sound right for an engine at speed.
The whole thing disturbs me so I shut it off.

The dents and different colored panels bother me a bit. I was thinking something like that would be dent free and have matching panels. Maybe its me.

Stop/Start? On its appearance I think the financial aspects of the restoration have been critical as they are still seeking donations on a very active basis. The unpolished panels and other undone touches may be evidence of that. Getting her flying may have been more important to getting more funding. She looks awfully good though to have been restored on a shoe string by volunteers. This isn't Red Bull after all and nothing like as well funded. I thought you Eurocrats were more against over-restoration.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
This is not intended to be a Smithsonian quality restoration such as the one done to Enola Gay.

That's probably it, to keep costs in line. It is a nice looking plane either way.

I don't see any need for a #1 restoration as seen at major auto shows. It's not Pebble Beach. The cost to take a restoration from say a very presentable and showable #2/#3 stage to a strong #1 is ridiculous. Looks fine to me.

For comparison, how about the $300,000 needed (and raised) to restore Judy Garland's Wizard of Oz - Ruby Red Slippers?

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Stop/Start? On its appearance I think the financial aspects of the restoration have been critical as they are still seeking donations on a very active basis. The unpolished panels and other undone touches may be evidence of that. Getting her flying may have been more important to getting more funding. She looks awfully good though to have been restored on a shoe string by volunteers. This isn't Red Bull after all and nothing like as well funded. I thought you Eurocrats were more against over-restoration.

The video is not a real video but more of a slide show. Its a nice looking plane and have nothing against an oily rag restoration if that's what they were going after, as you say they had limited budget.

Trav, there must be more than one thing to click on Flying Magazine's page. Go look for a box (well) labeled B29 Doc in flight by Scott Slocum. (From Aero Media Group).

It is 3:24 of continuous video, not some slide show. Let the page fully load, I think you might be having some sort of problem.

Your right. I did have the video but for some reason this laptop doesn't seem to like Vimeo video's all the others play fine. I will try another machine later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back