OK XJ Owners... Weigh In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for a while, asking questions regarding others' auto matters, but now it's time for my vehicle's next oil change.

Vehicle Info:

• 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited
  • 92,XXX miles (I'm the 2nd owner. 1st owner was a Jeep Dealership mechanic, bought it off the lot, took extremely good care of it and kept records. Buuuut, never washed it during the Pittsburgh winters and thus the underbelly is covered in rust)
  • Driven in Virginia; lives on a dirt road; sees a bit of light off road, but mainly driving up and down the foothills of the Blue Ridge and long shots up and back to NYC
  • Driven conservatively...that in-car computer is always tuned to the Avg MPG display... and relatively babied. I'm just looking for solid engine protection and efficiency
  • Only issue seems to be a worn out kick down cable that causes the transmission to not kickdown when desired. No leaks, no burning oil, nada.

Since I have all the service records (in Excel to boot!), I know the car had religious OCI's of 3,000 miles. None but the last entry prior to my owning it listed the type of oil used. So when I bought it in 6/2015 it was running PYB 10W-40 with a Fram Tough Guard.

My history
Mobil 1 0W-40 with an M1-301 filter at 79,000 miles. The 0W-40 created a lot of valve chatter. Made me nervous.
Drove 500 miles, put in a new M1-301 (read somewhere it was a good idea...who knows).
1,000 miles later, changed the oil and filter to Mobil 1 5W-30 & M1-301.
Next OCI was 7,000 miles (7 months) later with the 5W-30 & M1-301.

I'm right at 5,000 miles since the last OCI and thinking I'm wanting to change the oil now before winter sets in. I'll be ordering a UOA (have the kit) to see what's what, but in the interim, I'd like some opinions and input. For what it's worth, I'm happy with the current Mobil 1 5W-30, M1-301 setup. That being said, I've read on here that M1's 5W-30 may not be all that stellar. I've also read that some XJ folks have had good luck with Castrol and Rotella (T6, I think, which is now TS??).

If you're not yet rolling your eyes, or even if you are... let's have it! Oil is getting changed in the next day or two.

Last edited:
3K OCI's before, now you are doing 5K OCI's, right? Any of your mentioned oil's would do just fine. PYB seems to doing fine so far. What does owner's manual say on what grade oil to use?

I thought you were goinna talk about a Jag XJ ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
I'm happy with the current Mobil 1 5W-30, M1-301 setup. That being said, I've read on here that M1's 5W-30 may not be all that stellar. I've also read that some XJ folks have had good luck with Castrol and Rotella (T6, I think, which is now TS??).

That about sums it up I guess
laugh.gif

The T6 5w40 will serve very well in this engine, and has put out some very good UOAs.

In my '04 Grand Cherokee with the same engine I did a 5000 mile test with M1, Amsoil, ST Syn and VWB, all 5w30. All were very close in ppm wear metals, but notably the M1 had more than twice the Iron of any of the other oils. Not bashing the M1, it's a great oil - just not in this engine - and this has been verified by numerous members and their UOAs. Sorry to whiz in your cornflakes there....

Since the mechanic had it with 10w40 and it's doing well, you may want to stick with the same but that's completely up to you....a couple of UOAs will likely tell the tale of which oil is best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
3K OCI's before, now you are doing 5K OCI's, right? Any of your mentioned oil's would do just fine. PYB seems to doing fine so far. What does owner's manual say on what grade oil to use?

I haven't chosen a set OCI, but, I'm comfortable with a 5K OCI. That may change (in either direction) once the UOA comes back.

The workshop / service manual says 10W30 is preferred, but also says that 5W-30 is preferred in cold weather. See here: https://manuals.co/workshop/jeep/cherokee/jeep-cherokee-2001-workshop-manual/5525965/1219

I don't see a need for 40 weight oils in these, although it isn't really going to hurt. My Jeep has seen a bit of MaxLife 10w40 and I'm running Mobil 1 HM 10w30 in it now. I had a really small oil leak and it has completely stopped now with this oil.

4.0Ls supposedly like a 10w30 since they're more shear stable. With today's top quality oils, it probably isn't an issue. But I bought 2 cases of 10w30 Napa Conventional a few weeks ago for $1 a quart so that's what my Jeep will run for the next couple years. My climate allows for a 10w30 year round.

Your climate a 5w30 is probably more suitable for winter. I'd change it every 3,000-4,000 miles in the winter with a synthetic 5w30. That way if it's going to shear, it'll be changed before that happens. I'd probably use Mobil 1 HM 5w30 for the winter and 10w30 in the summer. In the summer with 10w30, 5,000 is probably a good time to change.

If you want to try something a bit different than Mobil 1, Pennzoil has their Platinum synthetic HM in 5w30. I'm currently running that in a Trailblazer Inline-6.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm happy with the current Mobil 1 5W-30, M1-301 setup. That being said, I've read on here that M1's 5W-30 may not be all that stellar. I've also read that some XJ folks have had good luck with Castrol and Rotella (T6, I think, which is now TS??).

That about sums it up I guess
laugh.gif

The T6 5w40 will serve very well in this engine, and has put out some very good UOAs.

In my '04 Grand Cherokee with the same engine I did a 5000 mile test with M1, Amsoil, ST Syn and VWB, all 5w30. All were very close in ppm wear metals, but notably the M1 had more than twice the Iron of any of the other oils. Not bashing the M1, it's a great oil - just not in this engine - and this has been verified by numerous members and their UOAs. Sorry to whiz in your cornflakes there....

Since the mechanic had it with 10w40 and it's doing well, you may want to stick with the same but that's completely up to you....a couple of UOAs will likely tell the tale of which oil is best.

Yea, I'm not married to the M1. I'm thinking I'll switch up the oil this change (happy with the filter) if only to have something different to compare against this M1 run.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't see a need for 40 weight oils in these, although it isn't really going to hurt. My Jeep has seen a bit of MaxLife 10w40 and I'm running Mobil 1 HM 10w30 in it now. I had a really small oil leak and it has completely stopped now with this oil.

4.0Ls supposedly like a 10w30 since they're more shear stable. With today's top quality oils, it probably isn't an issue. But I bought 2 cases of 10w30 Napa Conventional a few weeks ago for $1 a quart so that's what my Jeep will run for the next couple years. My climate allows for a 10w30 year round.

Your climate a 5w30 is probably more suitable for winter. I'd change it every 3,000-4,000 miles in the winter with a synthetic 5w30. That way if it's going to shear, it'll be changed before that happens. I'd probably use Mobil 1 HM 5w30 for the winter and 10w30 in the summer. In the summer with 10w30, 5,000 is probably a good time to change.

If you want to try something a bit different than Mobil 1, Pennzoil has their Platinum synthetic HM in 5w30. I'm currently running that in a Trailblazer Inline-6.

Thanks. I like this line of thought.

Not all M1 oils are the same. And I don't know why regular M1 5w-30 would cause high wear in any particular engine. It is a high magnesium oil which is not the norm. Then again, Valvoline and NAPA are high sodium oils, and not the norm either. Who can say if they don't exhibit higher wear over the high calcium oils? Not sure if the current M1 HM 5w-30 is using the magnesium blend of the other M1 30 grades, or the no magnesium/high calcium blend. You can compare them all by looking at current VOA's via google.

Older thread

To sum up a long winded [censored] match:
10w30 or any HDEO. (5)1515/XG8A

Last edited:
I've been lurking for a while, asking questions regarding others' auto matters, but now it's time for my vehicle's next oil change.

Vehicle Info:

• 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited
  • 92,XXX miles (I'm the 2nd owner. 1st owner was a Jeep Dealership mechanic, bought it off the lot, took extremely good care of it and kept records. Buuuut, never washed it during the Pittsburgh winters and thus the underbelly is covered in rust)
  • Driven in Virginia; lives on a dirt road; sees a bit of light off road, but mainly driving up and down the foothills of the Blue Ridge and long shots up and back to NYC
  • Driven conservatively...that in-car computer is always tuned to the Avg MPG display... and relatively babied. I'm just looking for solid engine protection and efficiency
  • Only issue seems to be a worn out kick down cable that causes the transmission to not kickdown when desired. No leaks, no burning oil, nada.

Since I have all the service records (in Excel to boot!), I know the car had religious OCI's of 3,000 miles. None but the last entry prior to my owning it listed the type of oil used. So when I bought it in 6/2015 it was running PYB 10W-40 with a Fram Tough Guard.

My history
Mobil 1 0W-40 with an M1-301 filter at 79,000 miles. The 0W-40 created a lot of valve chatter. Made me nervous.
Drove 500 miles, put in a new M1-301 (read somewhere it was a good idea...who knows).
1,000 miles later, changed the oil and filter to Mobil 1 5W-30 & M1-301.
Next OCI was 7,000 miles (7 months) later with the 5W-30 & M1-301.

I'm right at 5,000 miles since the last OCI and thinking I'm wanting to change the oil now before winter sets in. I'll be ordering a UOA (have the kit) to see what's what, but in the interim, I'd like some opinions and input. For what it's worth, I'm happy with the current Mobil 1 5W-30, M1-301 setup. That being said, I've read on here that M1's 5W-30 may not be all that stellar. I've also read that some XJ folks have had good luck with Castrol and Rotella (T6, I think, which is now TS??).

If you're not yet rolling your eyes, or even if you are... let's have it! Oil is getting changed in the next day or two.

To be honest, if the underbody is covered in rust, Id just run the cheapest quality dino 10w40 on sale as the body will fall apart before any oil related wear will happen.

And yes 10w40 dino is fine for your winter.

I'm a fan of Ow-40 PCMO and 5w-40 HDEO in the 4.0L.

FL400S or XG8A for filter.

Your kickdown cable is adjustable. It's called TV cable (Throttle valve). It's quick and painless to adjust.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I thought you were goinna talk about a Jag XJ ...
laugh.gif

Me too and I was freaked out because I had just been researching them.

The workshop / service manual says 10W30 is preferred, but also says that 5W-30 is preferred in cold weather. See here: https://manuals.co/workshop/jeep/cherokee/jeep-cherokee-2001-workshop-manual/5525965/1219

You've answered your own question.
Just about any 5W-30 or 10W-30 will be okay for your vehicle. You do have the 4.0/6, don't you?
I live off the beaten path and I've got three Jeeps with the 4.0 engine. I'm not a Jeep fanatic by any means, I just happened to pick these up. I usually use a conventional or a blend oil, mostly 10W-30. Lately, I've been using TropArtic or Peak oil, simply because the local stores have some good deals on it. Between my three Jeeps, I've racked up more than 600K miles. While the application book calls for a shorty filter, the 8A-sized filter will work. Just don't drive a Jeep thinking that it's the most reliable vehicle in the world.

I've tried numerous oils in the 3 different Jeep 4.0s that I service. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle has been the quietest running oil in the 4.0 I've experienced. I also did UOAs with it and with PYB 10w30 I had single digit iron wear numbers, which is very unusual for this engine. Usually they shed a lot of iron especially with Mobil 1.

I'm not a fan of Rotella in the Jeep 4.0 engine. It is way too thick, at least for my climate. My oil pressure was maxed out for the first 2 miles of driving with T6 5w40 in the winter, and valve train noise was pretty loud.

I'd run PYB 5w30 in the winter and PYB 10w30 in the summer.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
To sum up a long winded [censored] match:
10w30 or any HDEO. (5)1515/XG8A

I get the XG8A, but... (5)1515? That's still Greek to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back