Mobil 1 now containing GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
My C5 ran all of its previous owner life (90k miles) with dino at 10k miles Oci. 15w40 or 20w50 mineral SJ or SL. It has just a hint of a little varnish. Manual calls for fully synthetic Total Quartz 9000 5w40. I'm trying a dexos 1 for cleaning, but the thin varnish is still there, untoucheable.

I almost freaked out thinking this was a Corvette. That definitely would have been a mistake. I take it this is some diesel Citroen we are talking about. lol
Yes, it is Citroen C5 diesel LOL.
Actually very good car.

I decided to ponder the absurd. What if light varnish were actually good for your engine creating a nice non porous polymer surface like teflon improving oil flow and reducing friction. Now sludge on the other hand.,.

Soot particles are not pure carbon, but carbon-rich hydrocarbons with varying C:H ratios and structures. Electrostatic agglomeration is a real phenomenon which dispersants are designed to counter.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Soot particles are not pure carbon, but carbon-rich hydrocarbons with varying C:H ratios and structures. Electrostatic agglomeration is a real phenomenon which dispersants are designed to counter.

Yeah, I know that. What we studied were the exact composition of those attached complexes (many of them sulfur compounds) and how they could be altered to affect water adsorption and dispersion within a polymer. We also looked a lot at the formation of agglomerates from the parent aggregates and what shear and impact forces were required to separate the agglomerates.

Since Ohle_Manezzini essentially posted that the van der Waals force was sufficient to make them abrasive, I was wondering if there was any proof of that.

The other statement that was made was: "Now, the soot tend to agglomerare and together bake over time, making clusters that are harmfull to parts clearances, where the wear appears" which implies the agglomerations are created in the oil. I would like to see evidence of that. We never saw agglomerations produced in a media, in fact due to shearing and stress the agglomerations were disrupted. I would think it would be similar in an operating engine.

That's a fair challenge; I have nothing to hand.

Another regime that is touted is that the larger particles bridge the oil film and disrupt the oil film formation, leading to micro oil starvation. This is clearly not an abrasive wear regime, but in the end, wear is wear.

I'll see if I can find anything about the robustness of agglomerated particles.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I decided to ponder the absurd. What if light varnish were actually good for your engine creating a nice non porous polymer surface like teflon improving oil flow and reducing friction. Now sludge on the other hand.,.

I've seen it suggested that light varnish protects from corrosion. The context was light aircraft, which are parked up a lot of the time. This was one of the reasons given for the claimed superiority of straight weight mineral oils in light aircraft.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: slybunda
its now 18% NOACK

Where'd you find that number?

He did it in his head, 3 + 6 = 18

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
its now 18% NOACK

Prove it.

Prove what? That he's making a joke?

Take it easy, guys.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
its now 18% NOACK

Where'd you find that number?
slybunda knows things.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Not the best oil, since is a compromise between cost production and gross profit...

They all are
21.gif

Unless there's some sort of secret charity uber oil blender out there giving away good stuff. Somehow I doubt it. Still, some live in an economic wonderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back