2 easy to get greases for home use: name them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are two greases that could cover all aspects of greasing in the automotive world. Say like rubber bushings, bearings, u-joints etc. Im sure there may be the need for three greases but I can live with two and sacrificing POTENTIAL issues later on. I mean come on guys, something is better than nothing and if there was THAT big of an issue using the "wrong" grease, we would hear more failures about that. I dont think its as bad as say 50 years ago...

Earwax and lard. Both widely available and rubber-compatible. Earwax is more stable.

I wouldn't use either of them in bearings unless it was a real emergency, though. I have heard of butter being used in a gearbox in the Australian outback, but lard would be better in that application.

Earwax would be difficult to source in sufficient quantity, unless one was stranded for a really long time, or harvested bovine or ovine earwax.

Last edited:
There is a huge untapped market for earwax. We need to get together and start a non-profit ear wax co-op.

The purple cartridge that Sta-Lube makes seems to survive the hot CA summers quite well. I'll never buy the red stuff ever again.

You need some silicon grease to use on rubber and wheel bearing grease. That's it. White lithium grease is good to keep things from rotting if you drive in salt, just smear it on.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The purple cartridge that Sta-Lube makes seems to survive the hot CA summers quite well. I'll never buy the red stuff ever again.

The black catridge also seems to hold up well.

I've had fine luck with the SuperTech Moly-Lithium grease that Wal-Mart sells, pretty much use it on everything from zerks on front ends, to the bearings on the mower decks and trailer wheel bearings.

Less than $3 a tube, and it doesn't tend to liquify and ooze out of the grease gun.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
There is a huge untapped market for earwax. We need to get together and start a non-profit ear wax co-op.

We need to put our heads together and start a non-profit ear wax co-op.

- Fixed that for ya.

Here are the greases you need:

1. General purpose grease - Mystik JT6 Hi temp

2. Silicone grease - Napa silgylde, liquid wrench dielectric anti-seize or CRC di-electric grease - Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back