How much oil to put in 08 Honda Element?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this sounds like a silly question. The owner's manual says that oil capacity including filter is 4.4 quarts but I have read on Honda forums that Elements and CRVs will often take 5 quarts to get to the full line and 4.4 quarts often just registers at the low level. It's hard to see where I'm hitting on the dipstick after putting in approx 4.4 quarts because it is such light colored oil. Should I stick with the 4.4 quarts or should I put in the full 5 quarts?

PS. I did a pretty long drain (several hours) with the car jacked up in the front while I was trying to figure out the stuck oil filter.

You can add more later, but it's hard to take it out if you overfill. Check it in the morning when the oil has settled and it's cold, it'll be easier to see.

We don't know how much drained out nor the volume of the filter youre using so can't quote a volume to put in.
Best advice is to shoot for the full mark on the dipstick, shine a light to help you see better.

My 07 element takes a full 5 quarts to get pretty close to the full line (with filter change). Makes it easy. It's noticeable less to get to full when I leave the filter on every other OCI.

There is one simple check you can do to see if the oil drains well well out of your specific vehicle. When you've let it drain for a while just like you did, pour in a couple of ounces of new oil while the engine is still warm and the drain plug is out and watch the oil drain out. If it comes out clean and clear like when it went in chances are it's draining well. If it's dark then maybe it does not all drain out very well.

Some vehicles trap a bit of oil in the pan that stays when you do an oil change. And there is oil trapped in various other places within the engine. If your rated capacity is 4.4 quarts I'd just pour in 5 quarts and be down with it.

My old Civic calls for 3.7 quarts and I just use 4. I've also had to replace the dipstick because the shoulder that holds the o-ring broke lose. The new dipstick is a different length and I use a different full mark, right at 4 quarts.

What an oil change saga! First, the oil filter wont come off then another thread about the oil capacity.....We're going to get through this Gary!

It's very, very rare for an owners manual to be wrong. Alas it's common for owners to check the oil level incorrectly, as they fail to screw the oil cap in or push the dipstick fully down. Just read the owners manual or ask a dealer if it's not mentioned.

So, I would just add 4.4 liters and then check again when cold.

Gary, as others have stated above, your owner's manual indicates your engine takes 4.4 quarts of oil with a filter change. However, as you and many others have discovered, 4.4 quarts will seldom result in the oil level reaching the "full" mark on the dipstick.

Several reasons for this. First, you should know that a K-Series engine actually holds a TOTAL of 5.4 quarts. That fact used to be stated in the specifications section of Honda owners' manuals in addition to specifications for an oil change with and without a filter change. (With, 4.4; without 4.2). (Honda owners' manuals no longer state the total engine oil capacity because it confused owners.) Thus, if you simply drain the sump with the car level, approximately 4.4 quarts will come out. However -- pay attention now -- if you raise one side of the car or the other, more than 4.4 quarts will pour out. That's simply because there's invariably approximately half to three-quarters of a quart left in the engine block in addition to the oil in the sump. Consequently, as others have discovered, it often takes more than 4.4 quarts to re-fill the sump and whatever may have drained from the block if the oil was drained with one side of the car raised.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Gary, as others have stated above, your owner's manual indicates your engine takes 4.4 quarts of oil with a filter change. However, as you and many others have discovered, 4.4 quarts will seldom result in the oil level reaching the "full" mark on the dipstick.

Several reasons for this. First, you should know that a K-Series engine actually holds a TOTAL of 5.4 quarts. That fact used to be stated in the specifications section of Honda owners' manuals in addition to specifications for an oil change with and without a filter change. (With, 4.4; without 4.2). (Honda owners' manuals no longer state the total engine oil capacity because it confused owners.) Thus, if you simply drain the sump with the car level, approximately 4.4 quarts will come out. However -- pay attention now -- if you raise one side of the car or the other, more than 4.4 quarts will pour out. That's simply because there's invariably approximately half to three-quarters of a quart left in the engine block in addition to the oil in the sump. Consequently, as others have discovered, it often takes more than 4.4 quarts to re-fill the sump and whatever may have drained from the block if the oil was drained with one side of the car raised.

When you say "side of the car is raised" do you mean having the front jacked up or do you mean that the left or right side of the car is raised up? I jacked the car up in the front as high as my jack would go on to jack stands and it drained for several hours. So I'm guessing I got most of the oil out.

When I was taking it to the dealer, they of course drained the oil from a level position on their lift. I am trying to locate my invoices to see if it states how much oil they put in.

Originally Posted By: jayg
What an oil change saga! First, the oil filter wont come off then another thread about the oil capacity.....We're going to get through this Gary!

Ha ha! The problem I'm actually having is that no matter how I pull the dipstick out, the oil gets smeared so it's hard to tell exactly where the demarcation line of oil is on it. Couple that with new, much lighter color oil than what was usually put in the car, I'm having trouble telling where it's at on the dipstick. This has because an unexpected "saga". Of all the many American and Import cars that I have changed the oil on, I have never encountered an oil filter tucked up in a tight space like this one. Usually Honda's are a breeze to change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garyd
It's hard to see where I'm hitting on the dipstick

Check it using one of those blue shop towels. Place the wet dipstick on the towel and roll it.... exposing the wet spot and then line it up with the markings on the dipstick.

Even though the absorption could make the wetting run a little wider than the actual level, that's a pretty good idea!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Garyd
It's hard to see where I'm hitting on the dipstick

Check it using one of those blue shop towels. Place the wet dipstick on the towel and roll it.... exposing the wet spot and then line it up with the markings on the dipstick.

Tried this and it worked pretty good. Looks like it's hitting at just above the low hole on the dipstick with 4.5 quarts in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back