Fram Ultra vs. M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! The turd yellow can of death.
First they ditch the orange can of death for a black one, then they try white to make owners think it's an OEM job, but now they think they are in the army on a desert operation.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I'm looking for an oil filter that will do more than the 30K km one on my Renault Twingo 1.2 (16V) town car

Get a Fram Ultra. Your Twingo will fall apart before it does.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I'm looking for an oil filter that will do more than the 30K km one on my Renault Twingo 1.2 (16V) town car

His username contains "Ultrafan", but seems he's really not.
21.gif

What's a twingo? lol

Fram Ultra is a wire-backed synthetic media filter. M1 is just a semi-syn non-backed filter. I'd go with the Ultra since the price is similar.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

What's a twingo? lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=Renault+...KHfU-Cv0QsAQIJw

I am not trying to give you a hard time here. I am just curious about the following question. Has there ever been a documented failure of a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter due to it not having wired back media?? I highly doubt that.
Wired backed media is a good feature for sure. But it's not totally necessary either. Looking at the recent number of Fram orange cans that have looked great without wire backed media.

Fram ultra is what i would use... Synthetic wire backed Media and built very well. Not to mention the ultra does Not use louvers.

I'm stocked up on FU - but just organizing the shelves - the M1 feels like a brick compared to Fram ...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am not trying to give you a hard time here. I am just curious about the following question. Has there ever been a documented failure of a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter due to it not having wired back media?? I highly doubt that.
Wired backed media is a good feature for sure. But it's not totally necessary either. Looking at the recent number of Fram orange cans that have looked great without wire backed media.

Wire backing is only used on full synthetic media because it doesn't have enough structural integrity by itself like cellulose or synthetic/cellulose blend. M1 and Fram orange cans are not full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Fram Ultra is a wire-backed synthetic media filter. M1 is just a semi-syn non-backed filter. I'd go with the Ultra since the price is similar.

But the Ultra appears to have far less pleats.

Well yeah.... of course Fram orange and Mobil 1 EP aren't full synthetic filters. That's known. It is good to learn why the synthetic filters have a backing to them.
Again are there or have there been any issues with a Mobil 1 EP filter? I just don't think so.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Full synthetic media means "depth filtering" vs "surface filtering" with cellulose media. Therefore, don't need as much pleat area with full synthetic media to do the same or better job.

I would NOT use the M1. The reason is, the louvers in the one I have are barely open and many of them closed. Manufacturing flaw no doubt, but when at the store, it makes little to no sense to break the plastic packaging and inspect each filter before purchasing.

FRAM Ultra is better bang for the buck anyway.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

His username contains "Ultrafan", but seems he's really not.
21.gif

SHELL ULTRA 0 or 5w40 (A3/B4) !!

Gods own liquid Gold and almost as good as Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 in UOA terms.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: tig1

Full synthetic media means "depth filtering" vs "surface filtering" with cellulose media. Therefore, don't need as much pleat area with full synthetic media to do the same or better job.

Oddly enough a well made (Expensive) FS oil filter will have almost the same efficiency when new as when they are nearly blocked. So if you change oil filters too often (A common bad habit) FS oil filters make sense.
As far as I'm aware they do not last as long and the reason a new FS filter can stop smaller particles when new is that the media has both small and big holes, so it can stop both small and big particles when new. With a cardboard job, the filter needs to be dirty so that some of the media holes have been reduced in size allowing it to stop smaller particles. So both conventional oil and normal air filters should not be changed too early.

Last edited:
Good to know.

Shell Ultra is no better or worse than any other similarly approved oil.

The Fram Ultra on the other hand is clearly superior to its direct competitors.

Oddly enough a well made (Expensive) FS oil filter will have almost the same efficiency when new as when they are nearly blocked. So if you change oil filters too often (A common bad habit) FS oil filters make sense. As far as I'm aware they do not last as long and the reason a new FS filter can stop smaller particles when new is that the media has both small and big holes, so it can stop both small and big particles when new.

Don't last as long? All FS filters have a high mileage rating (ie, Ultra rated to 15K miles).

I do agree with sir 1900 about Mobil one extended performance filters having the louvers not opened well enough at times. The top picture is of a Carquest Premium oil filter which the louvers were opened good. The bottom is of the Mobil one in which the louvers were not opened as they should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back