2004 Malibu Maxx 160K head pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I recently did some work on my daughter's (formerly my wife's) 2004 Maxx with just a tick over 160,000 miles and decided to snap a picture in the oil fill hole after I checked the oil. The current change ( Pennwood 5W30 bulk) has about 1200 miles on it.

As I have been a member here for over a decade, many of you know that this engine has mostly seen discount/bargain oils. In fact, I would say it's probably seen at least 80% of Supertech 5W30 in both the XOM and WPP flavors. Most of these changes have been to the factory OLM. In winter, the OLM typically expires around 6500 miles and in summer, 7500+/- miles. I will admit that I usually add a bit of MMO here and there, mostly in the winter.

The car has been really good to us, which is why my daughter has it. Don't worry, her 1994 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3.1L is still in the stable! She appreciates the leather and heated butt warmer seats over the Olds, but as I haven't had time to install her new tires, the Olds saved her day in the snow today.

The Maxx has been OK overall and to date I've done an Alternator, Throttle Body, and a full exhaust, including the front flex pipe. I did have to weld on a new flange to the factory down pipe, but I simply cut off a similar flange from a junk pipe and welded it on. No biggie.

My daughter is a junior in college now and hopefully the 'Bu keeps going to see her through school. The body and underpinnings are actually very nice for a Western Mass vehicle. Looking at the engine, I think our goal will be 200,000 miles. That may not seem high to some, but keep in mind that my wife works locally and over the years the car has seen continuous stop and go driving with the kids. Except for a few trips out west to see family (I'm a Packers fan BTW...) and trips to the White mountains, most trips have been local. I think we're in good shape!

Clean%20Engine_zpswa3pq01d.jpg

At that age and the goal of keeping it running till 200k + I would start using a quality name brand oil like PYB, Valvoline Maxlife syn-blend etc. That way the engine will get some decent cleaning action going which it probably needs by now. Probably dump a can of Chevron Tech Fuel System Cleaner in there right before the next oil change.

It probably needs cleaning action? The head looks new!

The point of this thread was to demonstrate that even value SM/SN rated oils can perform well and keep your engine clean.

I think because the picture is dark that it looks like it's full of heavy varnish.

Maybe a brighter picture?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think because the picture is dark that it looks like it's full of heavy varnish.

Maybe a brighter picture?

All I see is bright aluminum and a used oil pool in the head.
21.gif

Picture looks great! I see no varnish or discoloration at all,pure clean silver. The leftover oil residue looks clean as can be too.

Thanks! She was running when I took the picture and oil was flowing from the rockers.

One thing I've noticed from the Penwood is that it gets dark pretty quick, although I did have the led light on when I grabbed the pic.
I have about 50+ gallons of 5W30 left, so that's all this engine is going to see.

Bought one of these in 2005. Wish there were more mid sized hatches out there today. The Super Tech looks like it's doing the job to me. That 3.5 ohv engine was one of my favorites. Who needed an overhead cam? Bet the rest of the car will fail before the engine gives out.

Last edited:
I would think that 250k or more would be possible here Zaedock. Does look pretty good indeed man. Well done sir
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
At that age and the goal of keeping it running till 200k + I would start using a quality name brand oil like PYB, Valvoline Maxlife syn-blend etc. That way the engine will get some decent cleaning action going which it probably needs by now. Probably dump a can of Chevron Tech Fuel System Cleaner in there right before the next oil change.

????

Does this site have bots that seek out under valve cover pics and automatically tell you to run a "clean up cycle" with a name brand?

The condition of the engine just from the small glimpse through the filler neck looks perfect. In fact if that casting looked any newer than it does right now it would still be glowing at the foundry...

I'll just assume you didn't see the pic...

In an effort to keep this on topic. OP, I wouldn't change a thing, what you are doing is working, you have a very clean engine by the looks of things. I agree with another poster, once the intake gaskets get sorted out these engines really are runners and assuming the transmission is in as good of shape as your engine you shouldn't have any issue surpassing 200K with ease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Some people just can't help but give their advice where its not needed.

Just for my learning (seems that I am always in that mode), What data qualifies a (let's say) SN oil as 'better cleaning' than another SN oil? There seems to be a lot of parroting of some of the better marketing, but little scientific evidence (or any evidence other than heresay).

Edit: Never mind. I know all the standard answers that will come from this question. This is not the thread to answer this . Disregard and carry on.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing,the wife 05 Malibu 6cly has about 120k on the clock.She drives less than 5k per year,so i change oil with Mobil 1 5w30 ep and Mobil 1 filter. At that time the dip stick shows about 1/2 qt. down.We plan on keeping it until June of 2020 at that time i will purchase my leased Camry for hear,give the Malibu to charity with less than 150k on the odometer. Your results show us are plan can be possible . Thanks again!

Very nice. Our Malibu is a 2.2 but darn is a nice vehicle. We have the sedan but I had wished we got the hatchback. More flexible and it seemed to be a nicer vehicle. In terms of the cover. It looks great to me. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy it. How is the suspension holding up? Our Malibu has had a few things needed to keep her driving smooth. Lower control arms, sway bar links, struts. Pain but she has been so good to us. Can't part with her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back