Oil burning hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 68000 miles on it it currently uses around a quart of oil every 1000 to 1500 miles. I've ran 0w20 5w30 5w40 all with no help . Pcv has been changed also. Regular oil changes also . Is this normal ? Runs and drives fine . No smoke . Thanks

I think my 2011 may use half a quart between its 10,000km oci. That is with lots of heavy towing and engine braking. I only run 5w20 in it as well. It has 139,000km on the clock.

I'd check coolant for oil in it. If not there, I'd check the PCV. It is gummed up, the throttle body will probably need cleaning. Even if the PCV appears fine, I'd still change it as a precaution and see if it helps. Could be the EGR too.

Try a high mileage oil to see if any of the additives will help slow the burn. Some consumption is normal, Im sure theres a spec listed in the owners manual, but normally its around 1 qt/1000 miles.

There are a lot of complaints about Hemi oil use. I remember this time a couple of years ago, a customer came in to the shop and asked about a ticking noise in her '09 1500 Hemi. The dipstick was dry. If memory serves, she had about 4K something miles on the oil change.

Hemis are notorious for the hemi tick...oil weight matters not. I had one in a 3/4 and it was a great motor and ran just fine on the recommended 5w20. Great motors but ma mopar cheaped out on the junk champion copper plugs that need to be changed every 30k...all 16 of em

Never have known them to be oil burners though

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Does my saturn qualify as a hemi? It used to burn a lot of oil!

Boy those saturns could really drink the oil...they will go the distance though if you don't run em low!

A compression test and a leak down test in conjunction should tell you where the oils is going. I'm betting you need rigs or stem seals but will probably use maxlife to try and slow it before any repairs.

I don't like putting anything in my crankcase but oil.

Try marvel mystery oil. don't overfill your oil. MMO will not cause harm due to "chlorinated issues" under normal usage.

when your oil gets dirty replace it with castrol edge "high mileage" in the weight it calls for.

this is full synthetic "EDGE HM" not "gtx HM".

Remember you can probably use a 5W- whatever weight in winter weather below 50 F.

to save $$ try wallyworld.

I had that issue with an 05 Durango I had with 79k on it.Would be the same Hemi you have since it didn't have MDS. Used to actually get sooty on the tailgate and the rainbow effect on the tailgate glass from all the oil it burned. 1qt/1000k is annoying I agree, but within the spec. Sure there aren't any leaks? What brand PCV? If it's aftermarket, get a Mopar one in there, there's a quality difference.

No leaks anywhere . Tailpipe is black at the tip. I have tried both stock and aftermarket pcv with no difference in the two. Is it possible the crankcase breather line from the valve cover to the air box is the issue ? Air filter has some oil on it I've seen mods where it is deleted with a filter . I've read that in higher Rpms the hemi will suck a lot of oil through the intake. I've owned since new it's well maintained

Originally Posted By: 008wagon
How would the egr cause oil burning?
Sorry, meant only to check EGR too if PCV was bad because it could be clogged with carbon; egr shouldn't cause oil to burn; I typed too fast.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Quit running water in the crank case.

Did you actually read the original post? It said he tried 5w30 and 5w40 as well.

Originally Posted By: 008wagon
No leaks anywhere . Tailpipe is black at the tip. I have tried both stock and aftermarket pcv with no difference in the two. Is it possible the crankcase breather line from the valve cover to the air box is the issue ? Air filter has some oil on it I've seen mods where it is deleted with a filter . I've read that in higher Rpms the hemi will suck a lot of oil through the intake. I've owned since new it's well maintained

Possible maybe. Check a Mopar parts diagram and see if there's any inline breathers in those lines.

Would a dose of kreen or mmo help ? Current fill is rotella 5w40 1200 miles in it's a quart low. Always used synthetic oil since new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back