8th gen Honda accord's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about buying a 2008 Honda Accord, it has the i4 engine, 5AT, and 144k miles one owner car very clean and very close to me. I am wondering if all of the 8th gen i4 engines (k24's) have terrible oil burning issues, I'm okay with some oil burning but I don't really want a quart every 1k miles, and if they have any other common issues, I'm looking for this car to hopefully last me 300k+ miles, TIA

Was this one of the years with the problematic and failure-prone transmission shared with the Odyssey minivan?

The '08 was the first of this gen and our '12 is the last.
Having driven a lot in my mother's seventh gen car as well as having owned 2 sixth and one fifth gen car, I can tell you that the '08-'12 car is not nearly as much fun to drive as is any earlier Accord.
We think of ours as the firm riding Japanese Buick, and it is that roomy and does have that cavernous of a trunk. It is a superior highway cruiser, going as fast as you wish with 30 mpg+ fuel consumption and traditional Honda path accuracy and strong, no corrections needed tracking. It isn't fond of tight corners though, with understeer putting an end to the fun.
By '08, any real issues with the K24 had been worked out.
You still see reports of oil burning, but we don't see this in our '12 at about 60K and my mother's 80K '03 K24 doesn't seem to use oil either.
I guess the bottom line is that a few of these engines develop oil consumption and most don't.
If I had one that consumed notable amounts of oil at any mileage, I'd suspect gummed rings and give Kreen a run or two. I really don't think that those who see highish consumption at 100K or less really have worn out engines. I think they just have sticky rings.

I guess cars last longer down there but is it alot more to get one with fewer miles on it? I rather get something with fewer miles and ensure it lasts..do some research..yahoo cars..consumer reports and recalls..should give u an idea of reliability.

An engine with less torque and a vehicle with half a ton or so less weight will have a remarkable impact on the longevity of any automatic transaxle.
Some Odys had problems.
Most seventh or eighth gen Accords don't, while many sixth gens did with the slushbox then in use. Fifth gens didn't have problems either.

2008 Accord 4cyl: worse car I've ever owned and probably the last Honda I'll buy (it was my 3rd straight Honda.)

Premature brake wear - resulted in a class action lawsuit
Rattling noise during cold start up - faulty Vtc actuator
Excessive oil burning
Excessive rotor warping - see premature brake wear

Google the 2008 model year and then run - run far away.

I owned a 2008 accord ex 4 banger with the 190 hp. Yes i had premature brake issues and ended up doing a full 4 rotor and pad change used Napa ceramic kind. Never had any problems with brakes after that. I also had the VTC issue had that fixed and took care of the problem. Mine did seem to drink some oil but I ended up being fine with that. I ended up selling it to my BIL earlier this yr with 100k and it will return to me after he is done. Last yr I put some Pirelli Citurano P7 all season plus tires on and started using Pennsoil Platinum and filling up with Shell Nitro Plus and saw a 4-5mpg jump avg 30mpg. Good luck

gregk24 has one.

VTC actuator grind seems to be a real issue with this gen Accord.

8th gen accord drives like a boat compared to the 7th gen accord. The size is way bigger, the Honda steering feel is vastly muted, and the handling is not as crisp.

The gf (now wife) had the 2007 Honda Accord 4 cyl since new, which has been passed around her family and we still drive when we visit the in laws. The 07 came with a slightly more powerful k24 than the prior years. Her parents bought the 2008 Honda Accord 4cyl a year later because of the good ol cash for clunkers. That car now belongs to her younger brother.

Whenever I get in the 7th gen accord, I'm reminded why Honda used to have crazy fan boys. The car is insanely reliable, gets great MPG, holds its value well, and for a japanese family sedan, drives very well. The few times I've driven the 8th gen, I'm immediately amazed at what a downgrade with respect to driving manners the car is.

We've had an 05 TSX which also has the K24 for the past 2 years. I don't like to admit it, but I would say the 07 accord drives better than the TSX.

And to answer your original question - no idea about the oil burning on the 8th gen
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
gregk24 has one.

VTC actuator grind seems to be a real issue with this gen Accord.

That issue is a deal breaker for me.

Yeah the vtc does have issues but there not a big deal and they are advioidable if you wait a few secs before you turn the car over, yeah brakes were issues in 7th and 8th gen models, I appreciate all the input keep it coming!!

The 8th gen has a TSB for oil consumption. After Honda expanded it to cover the '11 model year, they sent us a copy of the extended warranty associated with it (8 years, 125k miles). I check the oil level every 4 weeks, which is about 1300 miles of my wife's mixed driving. It's been fine so far.

Here's a link to a copy of the TSB for the '08 & '09 model years (hopefully it downloads for you) - http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=246810&d=1432147360

I noted this above.
The fifth, sixth and seventh generation cars are fun to drive.
Our '12 isn't, which is the reason we call it the firm riding Japanese Buick.
The seventh gen car is larger than any previous Honda car yet still drives well.
The eighth gen car is larger still and it seems as though Honda assigned suspension tuning to a team or Korean or ex GM or Chrysler engineers.
Our Accord starts out in a hard corner feeling fine. Turn-in is good and body roll is pretty limited. As you try to go harder, though, severe understeer sets in, unlike earlier Accords I've owned and driven. It feels as though the outside front tire is rolling under. I thought the OEM Dunlops might be to blame, but after nearly 60K, I replaced these with Pirellis and find handling barely improved, although the Pirellis are much quieter.
Overall, the eighth gen is a good car for my wife, who drives well but isn't interested in driving entertainment.
The '12 is is a supreme highway cruiser.
It is a very quiet car at typical young eighties interstate speeds and will always exceed 30 mpg with whatever load aboard.

Yeah this car is going to be my wife's so no real worry about handling, I was originally aiming for a 06/07 accord but the 2008 came up locally and everything hit the rear of it is really growing on me, there rear ends look like space ships or something!!

I recently saw an 8th gen v6 accord belch some nasty blue smoke from both tailpipes. such a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back