2006 Pontiac Solstice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2006 Solstice. 5 speed with 50,000 miles.
This would just be a warm weather toy.
Is there anything good or bad I should know about these?

Typical GM car made from off the shelf parts of other models. I don't recall anything unique.

Wow, it sure looks like it has a big trunk for a two seat convertible!
Hey, what's that big carpeted box in the middle of the trunk?
Not everyone likes the overstyled look of these and they are mainly Chevy parts bin cars, and both the Solstice and the Sky are orphans of departed brands.
I've never driven one but they're said to be fun to drive.
I don't know how well the ecotec will hold up, but certainly well enough for a summer fun driver.
How much are these cars going for these days?
I know that remaining Solstices and Skys went pretty cheaply new, not unlike the somewhat earlier Chrysler Crossfire, some of which I saw offered new at unbelievably cheap prices.

If you ever replace the tires, reward yourself by choosing summer only tires since its a warm weather car.

For the longest time I always thought the only reason this car was made was for the Transformers move that came out around that time.

It does look like it could be a fun summer canyon car though. Light, low to the ground and a decent 4 cyl.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I know that remaining Solstices ..... went pretty cheaply new, .....

Maybe when they were down to the dregs, but early on in the fire sale there was only $4K on the hood, and that was pretty much all you got on a loaded car, at least around here - ours stickered at $30,450, and I wrote the check for $26,000, even. By comparison, I passed on a new G8 GXP that stickered around 44 or 45, and I could have driven home for 32 or 33.

Ours only has a few thousand miles on it, and hasn't been driven in at least four years, so not much stands out about it in my mind. The trunk is useless. It's roomier inside than you would expect. It's really rigid, and with the big tires and wheels, plants to the road pretty good.

They are still nagging me about the ignition switch recall.

For the most part, well, strike the for the most part, I just don't like four cylinder engines. LS conversions are available and DDM Works makes some nice blower setups. The existing engine sets nicely in the frame rails and looks like it would be extremely easy to service if that were ever required. It displays well. I think an LS in one of these would be a pretty good sleeper.

edit: oh yeah, the top - it's manual ( fine with me), and you have to get out of the car to raise or lower it. It's got a real glass window with a defrsoter - none of that plastic [censored] that you can't see through after a few years. It's well insulated and quiet. Ours has the fancy schmancy two tone interior, but much of the plastic just looks cheap to me. The seats, top, etc., are good wenough quality.

Last edited:
2006 was the first year and didn't come with the turbo engine. I would try out a turbo model before pulling the trigger on an NA version.

I remember that the gauges were disappointing for a supposed sports car.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Win, is the Solstice rwd? Same q about the Cross fire? TIA

The Crossfire is based on the MB SLK 320 chassis and is RWD.

Last edited:
If it's leisurely cruising and looking good with the top down you're after then this fits the bill. If you want any kind of genuinely good driving dynamics in addition to that you'll be much better served by a MX-5 Miata or S2000 (for some added performance).

starting with art deco styling in the 1930s, I have always liked fast backs, long hoods. huge fenders and tear drop headlights.

Originally Posted By: andyd
starting with art deco styling in the 1930s, I have always liked fast backs, long hoods. huge fenders and tear drop headlights.

I like it as well; it's not likely to be described as bland. I particularly like the Xj40/Xj81 series Jaguars with the long hood, low roofline look. I think Lyons was a closet Bugatti fan. Our Sol is "brazen" which is a brighter orange than the burnt orange on my G8, with a khaki top and two tone khaki "leather" trim. Never understood why people would want bland colors or dull styling in a car - life is too short.

I always wanted an XKE ( still do ), and seeing the bonnet flipped up on the Sol, with the inline engine perched in the frame rails, reminds me of one - without all of the inconvenience of bloody knuckles.

I'm probably lucky the Sol was at our second house instead of the warehouse of junk, where the S-10 was stolen from, or it probably would have also been stolen. The keys were in the Xj12, but the thieves were too stupid to get past my anti theft system - pulling #1 fuel pump relay .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back