How do you test sway bar links/?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it done with both front wheels on the ground, or one side jacked up.
and what is the test? should you be unable to rotate or twist the swab bar link? say on a camry

In my experience, you want to do it with both wheels on the ground or on ramps. If you jack it up with the suspension fully extended on one side, the sway bar puts tension on the links, so they'll feel tight. At normal ride height, there's little to no tension in the link, so you can find the play. I think that twisting is ok, as long as it feels tight. If it is loose or has rattle in it, it needs to be replaced.

I think if you evenly jack up the front, like putting the front on a pair of jack stands, there will be no tension either.

Both wheels on the ground, grab the bar near the link, muscle it up, down, front to back, side to side, do the same on the link if it's long enough. You'll feel clunking if it's bad.

You can check with a second person and the vehicle still on the ground. Just get your helper to rock the vehicle and you take a look. Pay attention to the links for noise or excessive movement. It should become obvious as the vehicle sways on the faulty part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back