Nissan 7 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one know what the quick connect adapter on Nissian/infiniti 7 speed auto trans fill tube is? Car is coming up on 100k and I doubt anyone ever changed it. I don't want to pay 300 bucks for a pump to change fluid once. Also do I really have to pay dealer $15 a quart for "special" Nissan fluid? Or something like Mobil 1 will work?
This is on 2011 Infiniti g25

Last edited:
I would check to see if Valvoline has a product to fit your needs. The Maxlife full synthetic covers most makes. I am very happy with it in my Xterra and Transit and will keep changing to it as my vehicles need a change.

You are looking for the Assenmacher ATF 180 adapter. It's about $30.

Using that, tubing, some plumbing parts and a garden sprayer from Home depot and you have a $60 Infiniti ATF transfer pump

I recommend you pick up 4 gallons of Valvoline maxlife ATF as it meets Matic S specs and you'll need to drain and fill the pan x3 to completely exchange the old fluid, which should be fairly nasty at 100K. I know Infiniti calls it a "lifetime fill," but i'd never let it get beyond 60K, 40K if you drive aggressively (though you can probably get away with longer on a 25 vs a 37). You might want to also pick up a transmission pan gasket if you want to drop the pan, inspect, and clean the magnets.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=G37/Sedan/2011/TM

Here's the factory service manual for the G37, as far as the transmission goes, it should all be the same. The procedure for the fluid change is on page 267. One thing you wont be able to do is read the transmission fluid temperature. I just used an IR thermometer and carefully measured the amount of fluid out/in. Close enough.

Last edited:
Ok after more reading and following up on your link ,MarcS, looks like I need a 8x1 mm thread adapter and some hose. I have fluid pump I can reuse as well.
Places like this site are awesome, who else would know what the hack I'm talking about when asking for quick connect adapter on Nissian/infiniti 7 speed auto trans fill tube. You guys are great.
My local dealer said not to worry about it, fluid is good for a life of a car...ok guy.

This is great info. I just had the ATF replaced on my G37 at a local Infiniti dealer and they charge me $170 ( $45 for the labor and the rest for ATF)...

We have used Matic-S and Amsoil ATL on the 7-speed Autos.

AST makes a tool for the pan. For checking the fluid level, it is critical to start/perform the fluid level check at exactly 104F, not the specified range in the service manual. I am not sure where the temp sensor is located within the transmission, so it is best to use a scan tool and not rely on an IR temp gun that is directed at the pan.

Here are some pictures from the last Nissan 7-speed that I serviced.

Picture of the Filling Device connected to the pan. The bucket is positioned under the cooler lines.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Old Fluid draining out (initial drain from the pan):
Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: stang5
This is great info. I just had the ATF replaced on my G37 at a local Infiniti dealer and they charge me $170 ( $45 for the labor and the rest for ATF)...

For that price they probably performed a drain and refill.

yeah thats right just a drain and fill. I was told there was no serviceable filter.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For checking the fluid level, it is critical to start/perform the fluid level check at exactly 104F, not the specified range in the service manual. I am not sure where the temp sensor is located within the transmission, so it is best to use a scan tool and not rely on an IR temp gun that is directed at the pan.

The only scan tool i know of that can read the transmission PID's is a Consult 3+, and i don't have an extra $5k sitting around to buy one.

What is the % difference in volume for ATF at 104* +/- 10*? Enough to actually matter? How many people have done this DIY without a consult 3+ and never had an issue?

Last edited:
Per the FSM, ATF TEMP 1 "Displays the ATF temperature of oil pan calculated from the signal voltage of A/T fluid temperature sensor" so the temperature we are concerned with is the temperature measured at the pan, ATF TEMP 2 is the calculated temperature for the torque converter. Now, of course, there is only one temperature sensor in the transmission, so the pan temperature you are getting on a Consult 3+ is, likewise, an estimate.

I managed to find the volumetric expansion coefficient for various fluids. Worst case scenario, a 10 degree difference in 10 quarts of ATF is 1-2oz of volume.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stang5
yeah thats right just a drain and fill. I was told there was no serviceable filter.

I think he meant that, at that price, you just got one drain and fill, not the 3 needed to completely exchange the fluid. You should be able to tell by how much fluid they charged you for. If it was a full 3x drain and fill, you got a bargain, it's over $300 at my dealership

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Originally Posted By: The Critic
For checking the fluid level, it is critical to start/perform the fluid level check at exactly 104F, not the specified range in the service manual. I am not sure where the temp sensor is located within the transmission, so it is best to use a scan tool and not rely on an IR temp gun that is directed at the pan.

The only scan tool i know of that can read the transmission PID's is a Consult 3+, and i don't have an extra $5k sitting around to buy one.

What is the % difference in volume for ATF at 104* +/- 10*? Enough to actually matter? How many people have done this DIY without a consult 3+ and never had an issue?

I use Snap-On's software (on my Solus Ultra) and occasionally, Auto Ingenuity's software. Both programs have been able to read the transmission PIDs.

Nissan does specify a range that is acceptable, but 104F is the preferred target temperature. There is a difference in volume between the mid-point of the range and the upper end of the range; the difference is probably in ounces but these transmissions (like most) are sensitive to the fluid level.

According to the Nissan procedure that I have for my Altima the target CVT fluid temperature is 104F with a range of 95F to 113F. This should be achievable for most skilled DIY's. I watched as the fluid drip out as the fluid temperature went form 95F to 104F. It was a very small amount.

When I checked the ATF on my Tacomma, I used my scanguage and an infrared thermometer and the temperatures matched within 3F to 4F. I aimed the detector at the overflow tube as the fluid dripped out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I changed out that fluid using autozone's pump, didnt need a special adapters. Car only drained about 3.5 quarts and took about 3 in. Filled it with Valvoline synthetic atf. I'm gona let her drive it for a week and then do another change to use up the two gallons I bought.
Also changed the rear dif gear oil while at it.
Thanks for all the help!

Here is the pump i used
http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-and-fluid-pump-61746.html

Valovline Maxlife Full Synthetic and Mobil1 ATF along with Redline D6 all work very well in these cars. If you are going to spend S matic money, and rive hard then I'd get Redline. If not Maxlife or Mobil1, doesn't matter just whosoever is on sale.

I am just about to change the trans fluid on our 2011 QX56. I was planning on starting with a cold vehicle and pulling the plug at the overflow. Then use an IR temp gun and point it at a few spots like the pan and the line out to the cooler. Once the fluid starts to spill out I'll right down the temps at those locations. If they happen to be bang on at 104 then I'll be in business. If they are within that 95 to 113 range it won't make me feel quite as good, but I figure that will probably be acceptable as well.

^^^That will just be to prove to myself that I don't need a CONSULT-III.

Then I'll go ahead and dump the pan and start the fluid swap. I'm a little bit more than annoyed that they went this way with the transmission. I'd never even heard of automatics that didn't have dipsticks........that seriously through me for a loop. They really don't want anyone but the dealers service departments working on these new rigs do they?
31.gif
Kinda seems like a further continuation of the throw away consumer society we have become.

Automatics are great and have their place, but this little headscratcher of a fluid change is making me remember why I love my manuals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back