Ford Escape Titanium or Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a compact SUV this past Tuesday. Vehicle replaced was a FWD V6 2006 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) with over 100k NYC/Metro miles. (Only repair except maintenance over the past 10 years was a new alternator/location on bottom of engine is not ideal)

I shopped and drove the Rav4, CRV, CX-5 and Escape. Didn't like the Rav4, interior and seats felt cheap, car felt sluggish and not too responsive, more appliance like. CRV was okay, liked the interior room and seats, but handling was so-so and not a big fan of CVT's in general.

So concentrating on my two finalists, the mid-range CX-5 Touring and Escape SE. The CX-5 handled very nice, good driving dynamics, okay acceleration. Nice interior but seats/fabrics seemed a bit cheap and the big 3-dial manual HVAC control was okay but a bit dated. Interior was very straight-forward/almost bland)

I ended up getting a 2017 Ford Escape 4WD SE 2.0l Ecoboost. No tech, only option was the cold-weather package. The engine sold me. Great low-end torque, smooth and fast with a pretty decent 6-speed transaxle. Seats are quite firm, but comfortable, interior looks upscale, firm ride and good handling paint quality is great. Car seems well screwed together (I have to give the nod to the CX-5 for better on-center steering feel though).

With $3500 of rebates and near invoice pricing, I got a very good deal. Personally, I don't like all the touch screen nonsense on many new cars. The Escape can get pretty pricey if you aren't careful with the options. The middle SE trim has everything I need with regular Sync for phone connectivity etc. Probably would have gotten a FWD, but the dealers around here do not stock any FWD except for the base S trim. The Ford Intelligent AWD seems to be a pretty decent system from what I read.

Shop the brands and decide for yourself, The major players all have strong contenders so it boils down to what you value.

Last edited:
Nice - congrats - from your signature you were getting a bit low on vehicles
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Nice - congrats - from your signature you were getting a bit low on vehicles
wink.gif

LOL!....the list has been whittled down considerably.....but still plenty of memories.

Mini-Spare on steel wheel. Heck, I'm glad it's not the stupid tire-goo and inflator that many cars get. There are foam filler blocks around the spare. Might be able to get a bigger diameter spare tire to match the road wheel diameter, but matching the 235 width will probably cause it to stick up above the floor in the well.

Be worth looking at diameter in case you need 4WD and have tire issues.
Pulled an F150 out of the mud a few months ago and he had a flat - rains it pours
I'm supposed to do a crazy double swap with small spare.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Just bought a compact SUV this past Tuesday. Vehicle replaced was a FWD V6 2006 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) with over 100k NYC/Metro miles. (Only repair except maintenance over the past 10 years was a new alternator/location on bottom of engine is not ideal)

I shopped and drove the Rav4, CRV, CX-5 and Escape. Didn't like the Rav4, interior and seats felt cheap, car felt sluggish and not too responsive, more appliance like. CRV was okay, liked the interior room and seats, but handling was so-so and not a big fan of CVT's in general.

So concentrating on my two finalists, the mid-range CX-5 Touring and Escape SE. The CX-5 handled very nice, good driving dynamics, okay acceleration. Nice interior but seats/fabrics seemed a bit cheap and the big 3-dial manual HVAC control was okay but a bit dated. Interior was very straight-forward/almost bland)

I ended up getting a 2017 Ford Escape 4WD SE 2.0l Ecoboost. No tech, only option was the cold-weather package. The engine sold me. Great low-end torque, smooth and fast with a pretty decent 6-speed transaxle. Seats are quite firm, but comfortable, interior looks upscale, firm ride and good handling paint quality is great. Car seems well screwed together (I have to give the nod to the CX-5 for better on-center steering feel though).

With $3500 of rebates and near invoice pricing, I got a very good deal. Personally, I don't like all the touch screen nonsense on many new cars. The Escape can get pretty pricey if you aren't careful with the options. The middle SE trim has everything I need with regular Sync for phone connectivity etc. Probably would have gotten a FWD, but the dealers around here do not stock any FWD except for the base S trim. The Ford Intelligent AWD seems to be a pretty decent system from what I read.

Shop the brands and decide for yourself, The major players all have strong contenders so it boils down to what you value.

Nice! We are doing the same. Now we are discussing a new one or used. The power in the 2.0 has got my attention.
Plan is to buy after the new year. For personal property tax reasons.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Mini-Spare on steel wheel. Heck, I'm glad it's not the stupid tire-goo and inflator that many cars get. There are foam filler blocks around the spare. Might be able to get a bigger diameter spare tire to match the road wheel diameter, but matching the 235 width will probably cause it to stick up above the floor in the well.

Yes, that's exactly what I would try to do.

Get a real spare tire, not a limited use space saver, and have the improved spare as the same diameter as the road tires, but thinner so it fits in the boot, all on a steel rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back