Wrong viscosity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, feel stupid and ticked off but was servicing all my equipment to put away for winter. Picked up 4 qts of 10w-30 as it is specified for all. (one JD rider, one Honda push mower and a power washer with a Honda engine. Completed all and went to put the extra qt on the shelf and noticed it was 10w-40. Checked the recycle bin and there was one 10w-30, 2 10w-40. I have no idea what I put in which and a little perturbed at the auto store as I grabbed all from one row.

Don't think it will be an issue but figured I would ask as they're all stored now and I hate the thought of starting over. A bit concerned with the Hondas as they're small splash oilers. The John Deere has a pump. Thoughts on whether I'll be okay with everything? Thanks in advance!

In the spring or summer it will be fine but I wouldn't want to run 10w40 on a splash lube small engine in the winter, unless it's a generator running full load all day

If it makes you feel any better my 1989 model Honda mower with the 4hp GX red top engine has been running 10w40 Valvoline Motorcycle oil for about the past 75-100 hours without any issues at all. I've topped off about 8oz total in that time. Speaking of which I should probably change it this fall since it's been in service 3 years and approaching 100 hours. I'll likely refill with some 15w40 I have kicking around. I wouldn't worry a bit. Change again next year with the oil you prefer.

No harm at all for warm weather use equipment.
I am currently using clearance 20W-50 Valvoline 4T syn in my warm weather OPEs and used clearance Maxlife 20W-50 for years.
10W-40 seems a little thin to me.
LOL!!!

I run SAE30, 10W40, 15W40 whatever is next on the shelf....in log splitters and other OPE's in my stable.

I think you'll be fine.

You'll be fine. Even 10w40 flows alright for a small engine in the winter. If it was a straight 30 or straight 40, it might be more of an issue. I've used 10w40 in older snowblower engines that leaked/burned oil and they ran for years. In fact the snowblower body usually fell apart long before the engine was worn out.

Originally Posted By: JR1957
little perturbed at the auto store as I grabbed all from one row.

I'd be kicking myself for not checking the labels before checking out. Been there, done that.

Oh, I am! My son and I are always competing with "Who has the worst luck". Think I have him beat. I blame the Advanced Auto stock guy, as I saw 10w-30 and grabbed 4 qts from the row. Think I was excited about it being on sale and can't believe I didn't notice the others weren't the same when I grabbed them, when I checked out, or when I was pouring the oil in! Getting old isn't what it's cracked up to be...and I just had LASIK done!

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Feel better about it now and think I narrowed down what is in what plus nothing will be run in winter. Was worried about splash up once warm, but pretty sure the 10w-40 is in the JD, which is pumped and the pressure washer which runs almost exclusively at full throttle and under load. We should be good!

Last edited:
Both oils are 10W....that should be all that matters. As far as I'm concerned, you could run pretty much anything and you would never wear out most applications of small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back