Disagreement with mechanic over trans oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally change the filter, and top off oil, but my mechanic says im ruining the transmission that way.

His recommendation is to keep the old fluid and put it back in, he says the the transmission needs the old clutch particles to operate. Ive never heard of this method before, and Im not sure if I would follow up with this.

He's somewhat "right" in "theory" for very high mileage transmissions that have never had the fluid changed.....often on their last legs. Is that what you have? But most Bitogers would generally agree to at least a filter and pan drop for such a high mileage transmission to minimize the "shock."

tell him to pay a visit to BITOG where we'll set him straight
thumbsup2.gif

I'd get a different mechanic. That's the type of guy that tells you to never change your transmission fluid after 50,000 miles because it blows up the transmission.

I think it's time to find a new mechanic.

Many manufacturers have a transmission change and filter change as part of a maintenance schedule. Usually around 75k-100k. Why would they recommend that if it will ruin the car? Most cars are still under warranty at that time as well.

I wouldn't flush the entire system that late in the game but changes and top offs are perfectly fine in my eyes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I normally change the filter, and top off oil, but my mechanic says im ruining the transmission that way.

Find a real mechanic. If a transmission is in such bad condition that it somehow "needs" clutch particles (that should be caught in the filter anyway) to operate, then that transmission is already on its way out.

I've met a few mechanics who feel ATF changes are bad. Him not even wanting it topped off is a bit strange though..

I wouldn't say get a new mechanic just because, but if you need this service done and he is unwilling to do it, I'd move on for sure.

Just for good measure, maybe you could add some powdered newt and dance a little jig while pouring the old fluid back in.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Get a new mechanic! The one you are using has his head up his arse.

+1 I wouldn't let him touch a vehicle I own.

I used to work at a dealership with a few guys like this. That theory was 2-part. 1, was because they didn't know what fluid was actually supposed to go into it (I say that with a straight face - dealership techs not knowing what fluid to put into a car). Some of these also were 'lifetime fill' transmissions and they assumed it was some magic fluid that only the manufacturer has, and even the parts counter wasn't the same stuff..... Other side of that is for the reason that others have stated - they felt it was a liability issue. Don't change the fluid, then if it fails it's not their problem.

I replaced my tranny fluid after 150K + miles in multiple vehicles, none of them blew up. All of them ran normal to better than prior to the fluid change. Get a new mech

I assume he'd probably think "manually shifting an auto" is a sure-way to induce failure, too?

Even though contorting your foot to induce various states of kickdown would be the same, if not causing hunting and peculiar behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back