1911 - round in chamber or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the gun is a series 80 it has a firing pin block and has multiple safeties to prevent a round from discharging without a intent. It has the manual safety, it has the grip safety, and it has a firing pin safety. There are few pistols safer to carry cocked and locked or even with a hammer down on a live round in the chamber as a series 80 pistol. Even if the grip safety and manual safety broke, the firing pin safety will prevent forward movement of the firing pin without a pull of the trigger.

How does it induce "wear and tear" in a gun, for it to be sitting with a round in the chamber, as opposed to it not? A gun wears by being fired, not by how it's carried. Springs wear by being cycled, not by sitting compressed.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
Also, if you fear keeping one chambered because you're afraid you will accidentally shoot someone, you shouldn't be owning or handling a gun.
If your not afraid of accidentally discharging you shouldn't own a gun! Why do you think they always tell you to act if the gun is always loaded and pointed at the ground till ready to shoot.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Also, if you fear keeping one chambered because you're afraid you will accidentally shoot someone, you shouldn't be owning or handling a gun.
If your not afraid of accidentally discharging you shouldn't own a gun! Why do you think they always tell you to act if the gun is always loaded and pointed at the ground till ready to shoot.

There is fear that is logical to have, and then there is irrational fear which is ridiculous. If you have a quality firearm that is properly maintained, and you are not a moron in handling it, you should have very little fear. Just enough to respect the gun and the reality of the situation.

I see we are off to the races...

If one truly understands the 1911 design with S80 added then one understands that it is nearly impossible for it to discharge without the trigger being pulled. It would have to be broken.

Which is not to say one should not respect it and treat it always like a loaded weapon, but it isn't just going to go off by accident and to fear that is irrational.

The thumb safety (AKA slide lock safety) physically blocks the sear and hammer. The grip safety physically blocks the trigger. The S80 plunger physically blocks the firing pin.

It would take a series of malfunctions for it to go off "accidentally".

Indeed, heck if you have a gun with the old Schwartz style firing pin safety (S&W, Kimber) and it is not setup right you can actually have a gun so safe it won't fire even when you want it to. lol

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

The real safety is in between your ears. Not only in the form proper and safe gun handling techniques but also knowledge of your firearm.

As others have pointed out, a series 80 1911 is a very safe gun which requires active participation on the part of the person carrying/using it to make it fire. In fact you could use it as a hammer while cocked and locked (it's heavy enough) and it still wouldn't discharge.

Cocked and locked. That is how they were made to be used. Being a 1911 lover I embarrassingly have to say that I prefer to carry a plastic pistol. More so a 442 has been my on my permit forever
blush.gif
it seems. Some of the Deputies around here carry 1911s and It looks so impressive. It seems to say I can really shoot good.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
To clarify, was just wondering how to keep it locked in my fingerprint operated little safe. When I'm carrying, it's always "in the chamber".

So from reading everyone's input, I'll keep it that way 24x7!

Thanks everyone!
Keeping it cocked and locked is much safer than loading and unloading it continually. Cocked and locked is the only way to keep a defensive 1911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back