BFG K02 or LTX ?? 2015 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my truck has 24k miles on the stock garbage goodyears and in the rain alone its harder NOT to spin them from a stop. Im going to Idaho (to live there) and probably should get some new tires before i go. Ive always wanted the Michelin lTX M/S and the BFG K02 tires.

Which will serve me better? Snow and ice and I stay on the roads. No crazzy off roading. Like the LTX because they last forever and are very quirt. Thanks!

I love my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos & Revo 2s, quiet on road, good on ice & snow, able to handle everything but deep mud off road. They wear like iron, too, I had a set go over 70K-and my driving style EATS tires!

I have the Defender LTX's on my Silverado and love them! They have been great and I have about 25k on them now. They perform wonderful in all weather and I've off roaded in 13 inch snow on a back road with them and they never let me down. They look like the day I got them.

Last time I was in discount I also had my eye on the KO2, asked the guy about them as a winter tire (don't even know why bc the Defender is great) and he told me he loved the KO2 but even though there is a huge difference in appearance he said the KO2 didn't perform that much better in snow and it certainly wasn't worth getting them if I already had the LTX's. He said he had driven a jeep one with the LTX and one with the KO2 and that was his opinion.Cant verify the story but he did his best to talk me out of another set of tires so it seemed like he was being genuine.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd go for the KO2 as I just don't understand everyone's worship of Michelin tires here.

But Michelin owns BFG, LOL!

I've had great service out of numerous pairs of LTX M/S and more recently the M/S2 tires, which perform extremely well on ice for a non-winter tire. Given you mention you stay on the road, I think the LTX is probably the better choice.

I've owned both the BFG (In Radial AT and KO not the KO2) )and my father currently has the KO on his 3500 Diesel Ram) and the Michelin LTX AT and AT2. For a mostly highway driven truck I'd have the Michelin hands down. Better handling, quieter, longer tread life. The edge in off road traction when the going gets sloppy bordering on the need for a mud terrain goes to the BFG KO/KO2. BFG lost me with the KO2 with the heavily embellished sidewalls. To me it seems like they were going for a cosmetic appeal to gain customers. If you like the look by all means, I simply preferred the old KO. You'll be pleased with either one I suspect!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd go for the KO2 as I just don't understand everyone's worship of Michelin tires here.

It's just the brand name people are in love with. They will poop all over Uniroyal which are also owned by Michelin.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I've owned both the BFG (In Radial AT and KO not the KO2) )and my father currently has the KO on his 3500 Diesel Ram) and the Michelin LTX AT and AT2. For a mostly highway driven truck I'd have the Michelin hands down. Better handling, quieter, longer tread life. The edge in off road traction when the going gets sloppy bordering on the need for a mud terrain goes to the BFG KO/KO2. BFG lost me with the KO2 with the heavily embellished sidewalls. To me it seems like they were going for a cosmetic appeal to gain customers. If you like the look by all means, I simply preferred the old KO. You'll be pleased with either one I suspect!

FWIW, I got to witness a test between a set of new KO's against a new set of newly released KO2's on the exact same model of vehicle, driven over a variety of surfaces, simultaneously. The KO2's did better in all aspects.

That said, I prefer the Toyo AT2 in that tire category.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It's just the brand name people are in love with. They will poop all over Uniroyal which are also owned by Michelin.

Not me, I've just had fantastic luck with some of their tires. I've also had good experience with other brands, such as Yokohama and even Goodyear, with the SilentArmor.

In my experience, Michelin just makes some excellent tires. The A/S3, the M/S2 (now Defender) and the Pilot Super Sport are examples of those. I've never liked the Primacy and my experience with them on my dad's Towncar, I would not recommend them. The 2nd gen X-Ice as well, the XI2, they weren't great on surfaces that weren't ice.

I don't give Michelin a free pass. But I will give them praise on tires that I've had a good experience with.

I had brand new sets of both KO's and LTX on my F150 thru Michigan winters and cross country trips. The Michelin wins hands down for a couple of reasons. Despite the awesome gnarly look of the KO the grip was no better than the LTX when it mattered. And the large tread blocks had some uneven wear not due to alignment or other problem. The Michelin's on the truck now have +65K on them and have even wear with at least another 15K tread and the warranty runs out at 70K. I don't worship Michelin ...the performance speaks for itself.

2 Very different tires..
I think the michelins fit your needs better but tons of other options out there.

Cooper A-T/3,Bridgestone revo2 etc.
Even kumho makes a very good mild AT tire.

Michelin (The tire Gods gift to mankind) or another tire....

Useless thread here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I think this is a bit brash. I'm not a Michelin fan boy. Have I owned them? Yes. But I've owned a lot of other tires that have served me well. I shared honest experiences. I don't think that's useless for someone looking for others experiences. Tires are a major expense on a vehicle. I enjoy all the input I can get when I purchase a set.

I think this is a bit brash. I'm not a Michelin fan boy. Have I owned them? Yes. But I've owned a lot of other tires that have served me well. I shared honest experiences. I don't think that's useless for someone looking for others experiences. Tires are a major expense on a vehicle. I enjoy all the input I can get when I purchase a set.

The issue being is the the bias towards Michelin is laughable on this forum. So-if you spend any time on the "tire threads" here you know exactly what the comments are going to be even before they are written. And the above posts illustrate exactly that.

We can agree to disagree.

I have owned 4WD's nonstop since 1979 and endorse what FlyNavy has to say. The Mich's tend to chip for me - the BFG - sick of looking at (really good though) so I just run Destination AT, Toyo AT or Silent Armor and toss at 40k with at least a plug in 3 or more tires ... (some I put in out somewhere)

Cooper ST Maxx is another serious tire I have used - not super quiet though ...

The issue being is the the bias towards Michelin is laughable on this forum. So-if you spend any time on the "tire threads" here you know exactly what the comments are going to be even before they are written. And the above posts illustrate exactly that.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe people who have a positive opinion of Michelin tires, have had a good experience with them?

Last edited:
What size are you talking? I have a set of 35x12.50x15 BFG MT that get used off road and are still at 85% after 2 years. Very pleased.

If this is going to be just on the street mostly, I'd look at BFG or Toyo A/Ts.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe people who have a positive opinion of Michelin tires, have had a good experience with them?

Yes-but they loose all credibility when you get a post such as-"I'm on a budget and can only afford $400.00 for tires what should I get?".

And you know what the answer is-------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back