Fram Ultra vs. M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that really matters is that the oil filter doesn't fail. Pick one and run it. You will never realize the difference until you hit a million miles so to say.

IMO youre splitting hairs. I personally prefer the FU, but because the M1 can be had free with some oil change deals, I have them running right now on one car...

If someone said they prefer the M1 over the FU, theyd be just as right as I.

Thanks. AAP has a M1 EP combo deal for $34. M1+FU from Amazon would be $37. $3 saved is $3 saved.

Last edited:
I've used both and I prefer the textured end on the FU. Much easier to hand tighten.

Originally Posted By: CT8
All that really matters is that the oil filter doesn't fail. Pick one and run it. You will never realize the difference until you hit a million miles so to say.

So which ones don't split ??

I always use OEM dealer supplied oil filter IF they say made in Germany on the can. If not then I just go to Wallymart and find the most expensive filter that lists the car model or engine number. The can should read made in the USA.

Real good oil filters and a dual filter bypass system in particular are just as important as the type and quality of the oil if you are a long life engine lover. Turbo's really do hate cheap oil filters, as do the bearings in a VVT or cam phaser unit.

Last edited:
The Ultra has fully synthetic media which is technically, arguably better than the M1's synthetic cellulose paper media. But the end results are the same so buying by price is the big decider.

I have used a couple of each filter and my car uses cartridge filters so I can see how they are made. The Mobil filter is good but the Ultra's media appears to have twice the strength. The Fram looks superior to me.

The M1 filter is about the same price if shop around. The Castrol sfx looks a lot like the M1. Like here:

http://www.filtersandwipers.com/

So it more about features than price, IMO. I think the Ultra is hard to beat on features and may be "better." The M1 may have a thicker can but the Ultra has that media with the stainless steel mesh, hard to top that feature.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
what is the efficiency of each?
M1 is 99% at 20 microns (which is the same rating as the Champ/Fram made Carquest Blues [if you can find them]), the Ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns, also stated to be 50% @ 5 microns. The Ultra is almost always cheaper than the M1, and can be found on eBay for ~ $6 each when bought by case lots. The FPS (Fram Pro Synthetic) is the same as an Ultra, without the black grippy stuff-and some larger Ultras also don't have the Sure-Grip either. Really can't go wrong with either one. I'm almost exactly 1000 miles away from 20K on the XG3600 on the xB in my sig-I'll be posting the innards when I change it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

some larger Ultras also don't have the Sure-Grip either.

Which (for example)?

Originally Posted By: Izb
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

some larger Ultras also don't have the Sure-Grip either.

Which (for example)?
The XG3976A, used on the Cummins ISB/Dodge 5.9, doesn't have it.

For the price you just can't beat the Ultra. Now if I were to find the M1 cheaper I would use it.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The M1 filter is about the same price if shop around. The Castrol sfx looks a lot like the M1. Like here:

http://www.filtersandwipers.com/

So it more about features than price, IMO. I think the Ultra is hard to beat on features and may be "better." The M1 may have a thicker can but the Ultra has that media with the stainless steel mesh, hard to top that feature.

Wow! Castrol have joined the oil filter game. Thanks for that as I'm looking for an oil filter that will do more than the 30K km one on my Renault Twingo 1.2 (16V) town car. I'm also looking for a filter for my street illegal 1.9 TDI that has a max OFI of 20K km.
Long live the long life filters, IF I can figure out which ones I need to beat the OEM oily specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back