How do YOU wash your foam polishing pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of different opinions about how to wash polishing pads and it *seems* like a lot of people agonize over this topic...but maybe I'm underestimating it! Unless I'm way off base, and I may be, *I* think it's nuts to spend $100 plus for a goofy Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer, etc.

smile.gif

What's wrong with throwing them in the washing machine (perhaps is a lingerie type clothes bag?), after you're finished polishing your car, with some liquid soap and then letting them air dry for the average detailer?

Ed

I throw mine in the washing machine, although I usually use the terry cloth pads instead of the foam ones. But I think I've some foam ones in the was too IIRC.

Yup! hot water TIDE soap and double rinse cycle
cheers3.gif

air dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Yup! hot water TIDE soap and double rinse cycle
cheers3.gif

air dry.

How do your pads look after you're done? I've got to think they look, and work, just fine after this process and that's a LOT easier than the contortions that I see some people going through just to clean their polishing pads!

smile.gif

Ed

I might be wasteful, and I also use cheap foam pads but I toss them after using once. Although I am no pro detailer, I just use the HF pads and toss after doing my car.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
it *seems* like a lot of people agonize over this topic..

IMO, this is one of those things that you will never get to look really clean, but in reality will be clean enough to reuse. It's getting past the mental block that says that if it looks dirty, you shouldn't use it type of thing.

I presoak anything that was used with wax in a bucket with very hot water and dawn dish soap. I stir occasionally and change the water several times until it is fairly clear and to keep the water hot. When I am done with the presoak and rinse I throw them in the laundry. It really helps to get them clean and it keeps a nasty ring from forming in the washing machine.

That's a great idea to use Dawn to cut grease (wax).

I would think that polish (like M205) would be pretty water soluble so I'll bet the Dawn would work well for that as well.

Ed

I never thought to throw them in my front loader.

My polishing towels, yes, but not my Lake Country pads.

I have yet to try a pad washer. If someone tells me it's worth the $$$, then I might bite.

But soaking them in a bucket of really hot water and Dawn, then throwing them into a laundry bag and into a commercial washer sounds like a good idea.

If you decide to use your own washer, run two cups of bleach or white vinegar through a "light" wash cycle with hot water to remove any residue afterwards.

I use a Woolite and hot water soak. I agitate then by hand until they're fairly clean, and then rinse them under the hottest water I can stand while squeezing the rest of the residue out until the water coming out of the pad is clean.

I stand them on end to air-dry.

I throw the terry cloth waxing pads in the washer, and hand rinse the foam ones for my rotary buffer in the kitchen sink with the sprayer on the faucet (when my wife is not home lol). Then tumble dry the terry cloth one, wring out the foam pad and air dry.

I use lake country pads that are different colors by use. I write what has been used with the pad on the edge with a sharpie (at least the lighter color ones). I don't mix pads that have been used with compound or polish and wax (requires a different color pad anyways). This prevents cross contamination. I drop them into a bucket of hot soapy water before they have a chance to dry. Work the foam a bit, rinse in hot water, press them dry, (never wring) and let them air dry. I have some pads that are probably near 10 years old and have no issues with them.

I preclean with degreaser sprayed on and rubbed in before rinsing. Then they go in the washing machine when there is enough stuff I can wash with them on hot cycle like work clothes. Not my normal clothes.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I use a Woolite and hot water soak. I agitate then by hand until they're fairly clean, and then rinse them under the hottest water I can stand while squeezing the rest of the residue out until the water coming out of the pad is clean.

As did I when I detailed several cars weekly. Sometimes Woolite, sometimes Oxyclean soak depending on how bad they are at the time and the products used. The negative for throwing them in the washer was the velcro coming loose from the pad which turned it into trash.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

As did I when I detailed several cars weekly. Sometimes Woolite, sometimes Oxyclean soak depending on how bad they are at the time and the products used. The negative for throwing them in the washer was the velcro coming loose from the pad which turned it into trash.
I use the hand wash or gentile cycle with low spin. Seems to not damage the pads.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
I presoak anything that was used with wax in a bucket with very hot water and dawn dish soap. I stir occasionally and change the water several times until it is fairly clear and to keep the water hot. When I am done with the presoak and rinse I throw them in the laundry. It really helps to get them clean and it keeps a nasty ring from forming in the washing machine.

+1 This is what I do for my pads. Give or take a water change in the bucket. Have the same lake country pads now for almost 10 years and they come out clean as a whistle. Air dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back