Low temperature startability and pumping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First here's the linked paper...

Google Books Link...

Couple of snaps from it (cherry picked)...it's an old paper too.

startability_1.jpg

Being an old paper, fuel volatility and battery performance in cold come into the ability of things to get going.

Next one is interesting, WRT the "doubling" of dynamic viscosity every 5C rule of thumb...

viscosity%20temperature.jpg

1980 and the 5W20 was described as being a synthetic basestock...hmmm who would that likely be ?

Go up a few pages, and there's a paper on European OEMS and THEIR take on what constitutes start-up oiling. (back in the day)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall someone siggesting using MMO in TGMO for better cold start protection...might try that. Wonder what "fully additised" kerosene would be like there too...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I recall someone siggesting using MMO in TGMO for better cold start protection...might try that. Wonder what "fully additised" kerosene would be like there too...
Only in the summer as people have posted no oil is too thin on start up!

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
And the no start integral for a SAE 30 is how much cP, 7k, 8k?

There's no requirement for pumpability/CCS for an SAE30...have found a few documents using the older "borderline pumping" protocol that show THAT around the same as 20W50.

http://www.viscosityoil.com/pdf/P1_12.PDF

Originally Posted By: Garak
-26 C is coming on Tuesday. Fortunately, I won't have to toss in 10% kerosene to get going.
More info? I am from California where the water freezes at 50*F

We went below -30 C a few times, and the G37 spent more than enough time outside. It was shut down for 10 or 12 hours outside, and started unaided. It didn't sound happy, but neither did I.

I'm going up to Andorra in the Pyrenees in about 2 weeks , temps will be between +5 and -5c i guess i will be ok with 20W-50, i'll try to drive very easy when starting the car.
Only going there for 4 days so i won't bother changing the oil to something thinner.

going to do some tax free shopping?

Anyway, -5 or even -10°C wouldn't worry me with 20w-50 in the sump. Pumping the oil will not be a problem, but if you go too cold you'll have trouble starting the car. put some of the oil in your freezer and see how it behaves there. I bet it'll still move at -20°C but will be very thick, probably preventing the engine to turn over quick enough to fire up.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
going to do some tax free shopping?

Anyway, -5 or even -10°C wouldn't worry me with 20w-50 in the sump. Pumping the oil will not be a problem, but if you go too cold you'll have trouble starting the car. put some of the oil in your freezer and see how it behaves there. I bet it'll still move at -20°C but will be very thick, probably preventing the engine to turn over quick enough to fire up.

Just checked the forecast again and now it says it will hover between 0 and +5c for most of the time so i'm ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back