Silverado Vent popping/growling noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My 1999 5.3L Silverado has had this noise coming from the ventilation system for a few weeks. I ordered a new blower motor thinking this was the issue. After the install the noise is still there. I took my glove box out to listen for the sound and it only can be heard when my ventilation system is in the off position and the sound is coming from the passenger vent area. Any idea what this could be? When the heater or fan is on, the only thing I hear is the system, no vent popping or growling.

Thanks,
George

There is an actuator assembly that controls the vent door opening and closing. They have plastic gears in them that strip out causing the noise. My 2010 Impala has had 2 of them fail. The good thing is Rock Auto has the replacement part for not a bunch of money. The down side is they are a pain to replace as they are buried up under the instrument panel.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
There is an actuator assembly that controls the vent door opening and closing. They have plastic gears in them that strip out causing the noise. My 2010 Impala has had 2 of them fail. The good thing is Rock Auto has the replacement part for not a bunch of money. The down side is they are a pain to replace as they are buried up under the instrument panel.

This

Well it sounds like the vent door actuator is the issue. Exciting, it sounds like that job may be outside of my skill set. Rats.

By any small chance does anyone have a video of how to replace actuator assembly behind the front passenger far right side of this truck? Thanks all.

Keep in mind when you're hiring the job out to "a professional," there's all kinds of plastic things that can break inside the dashboard and behind the dashboard. They don't call them hacks for nothing.

I've replaced dash pieces in cars and it's not as hard as you would think it is. GMs are famous for having a series of clips and screws in combination holding stuff together. If you don't know where they are, you will break something. When I replaced the cluster in my Impala, I found the service manual instructions online. You can do this with a fair amount of mechanical aptitude AND the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back