Oil For Mazdaspeed3 2.3 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find out if I need some special low-calcium oil to prevent LSPI or whatever. Car is catless. Don't blame me. I picked it up that way.

Driving will be fairly vigorous, so I want to run a good, stout, synthetic.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Trying to find out if I need some special low-calcium oil to prevent LSPI or whatever. Car is catless. Don't blame me. I picked it up that way.

Driving will be fairly vigorous, so I want to run a good, stout, synthetic.

Any ideas?

Not sure how are Castrol 0W30/40 regarding LSPI, but that would be my choice in any turbo application, especially that one that you intend to drive like you stole it.

Good call. I was actually thinking in that direction already. I'd be leaning more toward a 40 than a 30, given Florida heat and turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Good call. I was actually thinking in that direction already. I'd be leaning more toward a 40 than a 30, given Florida heat and turbo engine.

Yeah, probably. But 0W30 proved extremely well in Euro turbo applications (HTHS is 3.58). Also, both oils have same base. What works in 0W30 favir is lower NOACK of 8.3%, while 0W40 is 9.1%.
What does not work in 0W30 favor is price. That is the only reason why I use 0W40. 0W40 for 5qt jug in Wal Mart goes for $25, 0W30 for 1qt in AZ or AAP goes for almost $10.

First of all use the oil finder guide page of the major brand oil company that Wallyworld have in stock to see what engine specific oil they recommend. If it's a turbo I would stick to a GTL or German Synthoil if possible.
I think Penn will list a real good one for your set of wheels.

As a cross check, check the owners handbook for oil category and viscosity limits.

2.3 engine use DI? I know the ms3 came with 2.3L originally or is this a new model?

Either way if it does have DI, go a 40 grade for sure!

Originally Posted By: KL31
2.3 engine use DI? I know the ms3 came with 2.3L originally or is this a new model?

It's not the DI, it's the turbo and the seal problems. I think the CX-7 might be worse...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: KL31

It's not the DI, it's the turbo and the seal problems. I think the CX-7 might be worse...

Hey Nick,

These were all DI...

https://www.mazda.co.nz/innovation/drivi...ocharged-engine

Good point on the fuel dilution. That one I hadn't thought of.

No apparent turbo issues, but if it does eventually have any, I'll go aftermarket. At the price I got it, I'm not worried about buying an upgraded turbo.

I used nothing but Rotella T6 5w-40 and most of the guys on Mazdaspeed forum as well. Excellent for the fuel dilution.

M1 HM 10w40. Extra zinc and perfect for your climate. Excellent protection for the extra heat from the turbo.

Off topic: If you decide to add a cat, I would throw a high flow cat on it though even just to keep the smell down. They dont really hurt performance these days and some can actually gain a little power. (Add an ACAT hi flow cat and a less restrictive muffler) Thats just me these days with turbo cars. I used to run a test pipe on everything but theyve come a long way.

Rotella T6 for sure. Nothing else. Thats what I ran in my big turbo speed6. Most all Mazdaspeed guys agree its the best oil for these cars. Best oil to help mitigate the pretty awful fuel dilution issues these cars have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back