FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new jug of 0w-40 from Amazon and its now made in Belgium too. Recent change? The jug I got a year ago was made in Germany.

0W-40 has not quite the right viscosity for your car, BMW requires 0w-30 or 5w-30 if I remember correctly ( I had an 335 w/ N54 biturbo engine). In 2009 I checked on www.castrol.de and the 0w-30 was showing up as the first choice for my BMW. Castrol 0w-30 is a little bit on the thicker side of SAE 30 anyway and 0w-40 might be a little bit too much. I was reading somewhere Porsche wants you to use the right viscosity for the car as there has been observed using a higher viscosity will cause an increase the engine coolant/ engine temperature. This observation makes perfect sense, the oil flow is reduced with a higher viscosity and this interferes with the engine’s heat dissipation, the oil has a crucial role in cooling the engine. This being said German Castrol oils are great, I switched to 0w-40 Castrol for my Porsche 991 GTS and arguably the engine is running smoother vs. Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garick
Just got a new jug of 0w-40 from Amazon and its now made in Belgium too.

How do you know it's actually new? What's the date code?

Originally Posted By: RMG
0W-40 has not quite the right viscosity for your car, BMW requires 0w-30 or 5w-30 if I remember correctly ( I had an 335 w/ N54 biturbo engine). In 2009 I checked on www.castrol.de and the 0w-30 was showing up as the first choice for my BMW. Castrol 0w-30 is a little bit on the thicker side of SAE 30 anyway and 0w-40 might be a little bit too much. I was reading somewhere Porsche wants you to use the right viscosity for the car as there has been observed using a higher viscosity will cause an increase the engine coolant/ engine temperature. This observation makes perfect sense, the oil flow is reduced with a higher viscosity and this interferes with the engine’s heat dissipation, the oil has a crucial role in cooling the engine. This being said German Castrol oils are great, I switched to 0w-40 Castrol for my Porsche 991 GTS and arguably the engine is running smoother vs. Mobil 1.

Oil weights with regard to European oil specifications are arbitrary.

If it carries LL01, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 5W-40 all have an HTHS of 3.6-3.8.

So really, your "observation" makes no sense at all. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

So is anyone using the 0W-30 with good results? I'm thinking about trying it for the next oil change with winter around the corner. I really love Pennzoil Platinum but want to see if a 0W performs better in winter and have never actually a tried a "true" synthetic before. Although I think the natural gas base oil probably performs on par with PAO's and esters.

Isn't the oil green or something like that?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
So is anyone using the 0W-30 with good results? I'm thinking about trying it for the next oil change with winter around the corner. I really love Pennzoil Platinum but want to see if a 0W performs better in winter and have never actually a tried a "true" synthetic before. Although I think the natural gas base oil probably performs on par with PAO's and esters.

It used to be green..

Originally Posted By: jongies3

0W30 ALWAYS provided good results!
Thousands UOA, just google it.

So long as the formula has not changed, I'm personally not bothered whether it is made in Germany or made in Belgium.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
So long as the formula has not changed, I'm personally not bothered whether it is made in Germany or made in Belgium.

Sure, just throwing it out there.

Just ordered in 2 jugs, will be interesting to see what the COO is.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Oil weights with regard to European oil specifications are arbitrary.
...?!?! Please enlighten me on this.

If it carries LL01, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 5W-40 all have an HTHS of 3.6-3.8.
...actually this is incorrect. BMW too would disagree w/ you as they have both 0w-30 and 0w-40 LL-01's in their offering, each oil used for a different application/ engine. And btw there are LL-01 rated oils with a lower than 3.6 HTHS. But that's like focusing only on one facet of the story...
So really, your "observation" makes no sense at all. Where do you people come up with this stuff?
...from Porsche AG technical papers and track days observation. There are Porsche Club members who noted 50 grade oils (vs. factory recommended 40) reduce output and increase coolant temperatures simultaneously on the track.

Last edited:
LL01 and LL01 FE are different specifications, with different viscosity limits and requirements. An LL01 0W-30 and LL01 0W-40 are very similar. See the Castrol twins: they're close enough in viscosity and HTHS that you're splitting hairs choosing between them.

LL01 FE is your HTHS 3.0 oil and is not the same as LL01 with minimum HTHS 3.5.

LL01 and LL01 FE are different specifications, with different viscosity limits and requirements. An LL01 0W-30 and LL01 0W-40 are very similar. See the Castrol twins: they're close enough in viscosity and HTHS that you're splitting hairs choosing between them.

... I am not sure what you're trying to prove with the FE vs non-FE statement above. Again, BMW has oils w/ different weights within the LL-04, LL-01 and/or LL-01 FE class. For example, in Germany you are invited to check your car’s manual before choosing between a BMW 0w-20 LL-01FE and a BMW 0w-30 LL-01 FE.
And the fact that Castrol 0w-30 is almost thick enough to be a 40 weight doesn't prove your point, quite the contrary... the fact they developed two different products ( 0w-30 and 0w-40 are both LL-01) seems to acknowledge this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RMG

... I am not sure what you're trying to prove with the FE vs non-FE statement above. Again, BMW has oils w/ different weights within the LL-04, LL-01 and/or LL-01 FE class. For example, in Germany you are invited to check your car’s manual before choosing between a BMW 0w-20 LL-01FE and a BMW 0w-30 LL-01 FE.
And the fact that Castrol 0w-30 is almost thick enough to be a 40 weight doesn't prove your point, quite the contrary... the fact they developed two different products ( 0w-30 and 0w-40 are both LL-01) seems to acknowledge this.

LL-01 HTHS is 3.5cp.
Reason for 0W30 LL-01 is lower NOACK and better winter performance while providing pretty much same protection like 0/5W40. 5W40 are mostly used in older BMW engines and now M models. Previous M models used 10W60 anyway.

Just stocked up on Castrol 0W-30 made in Belgium at my Autozone December closeout. Took their 21 quarts @ $2.00 each, $42.00. My 2014 Ford Escape with 2.0L turbo is going to be very happy

Originally Posted By: Garman
Just stocked up on Castrol 0W-30 made in Belgium at my Autozone December closeout. Took their 21 quarts @ $2.00 each, $42.00. My 2014 Ford Escape with 2.0L turbo is going to be very happy

Are you still under warranty? Does GC meet the requirements since it's API SL?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are you still under warranty? Does GC meet the requirements since it's API SL?

I'll bite the bullet and take the risk, and take it off his hands for him.
wink.gif

yes its out of warranty by 3 months. But this SL is as good or better than the 5w-30 QUD, 5w-30 PP, 5w-30 Castro Mag, 5w-30 Motorcraft, that has ran through it. I like the fact that its A3/B3 and B4, for DI engines and its a REAL synthetic, and a thicker 30 weight. And best part was $2 per

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back