Glock Trigger Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that this is my 1st Glock that I have ever owned, (Gen 4 G17) I think there can be some improvement in the trigger. But, I don't know ANYTHING about Glocks, and I never like to mess with anything I am not familiar with.
My trigger has a "mushy" feel to it before it fires. I have been doing research on Glock triggers, esp. the Gen 4. I have seen so many different ways to "improve" the trigger that I'm actually confused.
Then, there's that little voice I keep hearing that says to leave it alone, learn it, and be happy. Are there any Glock owners here, esp. Gen 4 G17 owners, that have "improved" their Glock trigger?

I have four Glocks, and no other brands. One advantage of a monolithic collection is the consistency of the 'manual-of-arms'. They all operate the same. They all tear down the same. They all get oiled the same.

Until you go making one different.

But if you must, another advantage of Glock is there are numerous aftermarket companies happy to sell you any mod you can think of.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I have four Glocks, and no other brands. One advantage of a monolithic collection is the consistency of the 'manual-of-arms'. They all operate the same. They all tear down the same. They all get oiled the same.

Until you go making one different.

I agree. I have a total of six. And I keep all of them stock for that very same reason.

Repeatability is absolutely crucial to a good trigger - the pull weight and pull length should be comfortable, and identical every single time. Crisp release without any creep, akin to the feeling of a glass rod snapping, is paramount to being able to predict when the shot will release.

If you don't like it make it work the way you want it to!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My trigger has a "mushy" feel to it before it fires. I have been doing research on Glock triggers, esp. the Gen 4. I have seen so many different ways to "improve" the trigger that I'm actually confused.

Due to their popularity, Glocks probably enjoy the most prolific aftermarket support of any pistol. The upside to that is, if you can dream of something you want for it, it's available. The downside to that is there are a lot of companies pushing stuff that really isn't beneficial, especially if you're not yet sure what you really want.

My advice is to go shoot the gun. Have you fired it yet? You may find that the mushiness you can perceive when dry-firing can't even be felt out on the range. This is not uncommon -- in your easy chair, clicking away at it, you can listen and feel for the smallest thing. Out on the range, those small tactile perceptions are overcome by your concentration on that front sight and getting it on target.

Pull on the trigger until it hits the wall (there may be some mush or grit -- this doesn't affect your shooting). Let the trigger sit on that wall for a second as you concentrate on your trigger pull. Put a constant force on that trigger until it breaks the wall and let it surprise you. Don't jerk the trigger -- just a smooth and even pressure on it. Put a bottle cap on the front of the gun behind the front sight as you practice dry fire. Practice until that bottle cap doesn't fall off the slide. The idea is to not "jerk" the trigger over the wall, but to pull through it with an even pressure until it breaks. Soon, you'll be able to pull the trigger and the front sight won't even move.

With practice, you'll obviously get very proficient with it and be able to move beyond having the gun surprise you. I have found this to be the best technique to learn a trigger. Most striker-fired triggers are not "good triggers". There are some exceptions, but Glock triggers aren't some of those exceptions. A striker-fired trigger is a compromise between a heavy double action trigger and a light single action trigger with a manual safety. Without a manual safety, a striker-fired gun typically has a heavier and longer trigger pull than you'll get with a single action -- this is by design. You'd never carry a 1911 around without the safety on. Glocks are perfectly safe to carry without a safety because the trigger isn't a 4 pound single action trigger. DON'T MAKE IT INTO ONE (is my humble advice).

Further, shoot with it -- shoot A LOT with it -- before you make any decisions about different trigger parts. Once you have a thousand rounds through the gun, and have learned what it is and what it isn't, you may have a better feel for what you want out of it.

What is your general handgun experience? What triggers do you have experience with already?

From what I understand there is a "break-in" period for Glocks where some of the parts need to wear in--hence the 25 cent trigger jobs you see on YouTube where they use metal polish to polish certain parts of the firing system to make it smoother. For a range pistol, I see no problems modifying it, but for an EDC I (emphasis on me) would not change any parts and leave it all OEM (except perhaps for sights, magazines, etc.) The last thing I would want is if I had an SD situation to have some hot shot lawyer attempt to prove I modified the firearm with the intent to do "X" or that somehow I know more than the OEM who does millions of dollars of R&D (again, this is my thought and does not have to apply to others).

I recommend that you put at least 500 rounds down range before making any assessments on upgrades. If and when you do modify, do one thing at a time so that you have time to understand what the change did for you before adding/replacing something else.

Glock triggers break in nicely after a thousand rounds or so. Frankly, i doubt you can outshoot the gun with the factory trigger, so I'd spend the $150-200 or so you would spend on an aftermarket trigger on a case of ammo and see if you still want to change it after that.

As for aftermarket triggers, thwre are a lot out there and you have to be careful as some triggers don't leave all the internal safeties intact. Other triggers with tight tolerances and overtravel/undertravel adjustments might make the gun less reliable in adverse conditions.

If the 2-stage feel of the factory trigger bothers you, a factory (-) connector and a NY1 trigger return spring will give you a ~6lb revolver like pull which may people like. Also, since they'refactory parts the combo costs a mere $20 and you can polish up the contact points while you're in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
BlueOvalFitter said:
What is your general handgun experience? What triggers do you have experience with already?

Let's see, when I was 5-6 years old my grandfather started teaching me about firearms, shooting, safety, and cleaning them. I received a Benjamin .177 cal. air rifle at 6, and numerous handguns, rifles, and shotguns up until I joined the ARMY in 1984. For 8 years (11C-Infantry & 62J-Combat Engineer) I qualified expert every year with my M16A1/A2 rifle & my Beretta M9A1 sidearm. After my honorable discharge in 1992, I collected A LOT of assault rifles and handguns. I "tinkered" around with the triggers, but, never really got in too deep. I would usually let a gunsmith friend, or, a LGS gunsmith work on my triggers if I needed major work done.
I have been doing research on my Glock for almost 3 weeks now and have mastered taking it completely apart and putting it back together with no problems at all.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Shoot it a while before modding it.

Fixed it for you. Its a combat Tupperware pistol. The stock trigger is reliable. It works. And its not terrible. If you are going to make a target only pistol out of it, then go crazy. Otherwise, leave it alone. Learn it. Learn to like it. Lubing the pistol properly (the connector and striker contact areas) with a grease will make for a nice smooth trigger.

For 8 years (11C-Infantry & 62J-Combat Engineer) I qualified expert every year with my M16A1/A2 rifle & my Beretta M9A1 sidearm. After my honorable discharge in 1992, I collected A LOT of assault rifles and handguns. I "tinkered" around with the triggers, but, never really got in too deep. I would usually let a gunsmith friend, or, a LGS gunsmith work on my triggers if I needed major work done.

It sounds like the Glock may be your first modern striker-fired handgun, and most of your experience is with DA/SA handguns. I've owned both, and think that I prefer DA/SA overall. I've owned three CZs and sold them all, have owned two M&Ps (have sold one of them), and am yearning to go back to either a CZ P-07 or something like a Sig SP2022 or a Beretta PX4. Bottom line is it took me a while to figure out what I liked and didn't like (not just in triggers, but in handguns in general). Striker-fired guns definitely feel different than DA/SA, and plastic guns definitely feel different than steel or aluminum.

I definitely recommend that you shoot your Glock a lot before you do anything with it. Some had the same suggestions with the sights, but I think the response is CLEAR about the trigger -- the trigger system obviously performs a critical functional role and has a lot to do with reliability of the gun. You may find that you prefer a different style or weight of trigger, but I recommend that you master the stock trigger first. It wasn't until about 400-500 rounds through my Shield that it really clicked with me how to shoot it. It's my first striker-fired gun. Some complain about the trigger, some love it. Rather than love it or loathe it, I decided to learn it. I can now shoot it great. My next gun will very likely be a DA/SA gun, but I've learned the basics of a striker-fired gun, and that kind of technique is pretty transferable to others in the same category, regardless of brand (Glock, Ruger, Smith, H&K, etc).

For 8 years (11C-Infantry & 62J-Combat Engineer) I qualified expert every year with my M16A1/A2 rifle & my Beretta M9A1 sidearm. After my honorable discharge in 1992, I collected A LOT of assault rifles and handguns. I "tinkered" around with the triggers, but, never really got in too deep. I would usually let a gunsmith friend, or, a LGS gunsmith work on my triggers if I needed major work done.

It sounds like the Glock may be your first modern striker-fired handgun, and most of your experience is with DA/SA handguns. I've owned both, and think that I prefer DA/SA overall. I've owned three CZs and sold them all, have owned two M&Ps (have sold one of them), and am yearning to go back to either a CZ P-07 or something like a Sig SP2022 or a Beretta PX4. Bottom line is it took me a while to figure out what I liked and didn't like (not just in triggers, but in handguns in general). Striker-fired guns definitely feel different than DA/SA, and plastic guns definitely feel different than steel or aluminum.

I definitely recommend that you shoot your Glock a lot before you do anything with it. Some had the same suggestions with the sights, but I think the response is CLEAR about the trigger -- the trigger system obviously performs a critical functional role and has a lot to do with reliability of the gun. You may find that you prefer a different style or weight of trigger, but I recommend that you master the stock trigger first. It wasn't until about 400-500 rounds through my Shield that it really clicked with me how to shoot it. It's my first striker-fired gun. Some complain about the trigger, some love it. Rather than love it or loathe it, I decided to learn it. I can now shoot it great. My next gun will very likely be a DA/SA gun, but I've learned the basics of a striker-fired gun, and that kind of technique is pretty transferable to others in the same category, regardless of brand (Glock, Ruger, Smith, H&K, etc).

I currently own an SD9VE (2015), an SW9VE (2008) an SW40VE (2009 )and the Glock Gen 4 G17 (2016). I have done the APEX trigger and spring kit on ALL 3 S&W's. The factory triggers on the 3 S&W's were ATROCIOUS!
So, I have been around striker fire handguns for awhile. And, the Glock trigger is "mushy."

I didn't care for the feel of the trigger in my G23 and was able to improve it by changing the connector bar. It was $12 and easy to install. If I recall correctly, my problem with the factory trigger was more related to the pull weight, however. For the money, though, you may want to consider it as a first step?

I have 4 and have shot countless thousands of rounds through them. The only mod I ever made was connector switch on a G23 that had an unusually awful trigger. It worked.

Triggers are not a Glock's strong point but you can get used to them. They have many other endearing features though.

Due to their popularity, Glocks probably enjoy the most prolific aftermarket support of any pistol.

Almost. There is that pesky thing called a 1911.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Due to their popularity, Glocks probably enjoy the most prolific aftermarket support of any pistol.

Almost. There is that pesky thing called a 1911.
laugh.gif

Someone told me that Glock owners and 1911 owners are always clashing. Is this true?
laugh.gif

Someone told me that Glock owners and 1911 owners are always clashing. Is this true?
laugh.gif

lol..
I owned a number of 1911's. Got rid of them and never looked back.

Funny. After decades of Glocks (which I still have and appreciate) I am head over heels for the 1911. What an incredible weapon. But to each his own.

I currently own an SD9VE (2015), an SW9VE (2008) an SW40VE (2009 )and the Glock Gen 4 G17 (2016). I have done the APEX trigger and spring kit on ALL 3 S&W's. The factory triggers on the 3 S&W's were ATROCIOUS!

Those definitely are an interesting case. The striker on those is not really pre-cocked, so you pull the striker back as you pull the trigger back, similar to a double action trigger. I rather like them (the triggers), but they certainly take some practice. My Kel-tec is similar -- it's a long (but smooth) trigger pull. I generally prefer these over a shorter trigger with a wall. Personal preference, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back