Old tv: how to get rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staples accepts them. Local recycling center near me now charges $30 for ANY tv with screen over 30"

Sorry I ain't a redneck to shoot at it either; don't people know what's
In the glass?!

I'd Craigslist it for free, someone can use it in their basement/garage/patio.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
We have a similar TV, a Sony in our case. It has a really good picture, but it's heavy and bulky. We're going to run it till it drops and then recycle it.

And we gave an older set away through the local Kijiji website. It's better if someone can make use of it.

As far as disposal is concerned, electronics contain toxic substances that should be reclaimed and recycled.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
car51 said:
Nick: Best Buy said to me that unless I purchase a new tv from them; they wouldn't accept it. I promptly hung up after that crock of b.s.

Then leave it there after hours!
laugh.gif
Just kidding...

I have dropped at least two TVs at my local one. IDK if they have changed policy or if you spoke to an ignorant sales buffoon...

*It seems to vary state-by-state, apparently in PA they don't take TV's...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Bust it up with a hammer and get rid of it out piecemeal in the trash bags if all else fails.

In our locale you can pay $10 per set for a recycling fee. Other times recycling programs come up and you donate something.

Put it in the bin and let the bin men take it away.

Break & sell for spares

Burn it

Use it as a doorstop

Convert it to a fish tank

Sell it

Bury it

Donate to a less well off person

Our transfer station charges $10 or so. We got rid of our CRT's several years ago, and it's so much nicer not having that huge old TV in the way. It was worth paying to get rid of them. I suspect most of 'em get sent overseas where someone smashes them up and pollutes their own dirt; but might as well do that and have that pollution in one spot, rather than scattered all over.

I recall in college that once a year the town would pick up all sorts of trash, for free. Old paint, electronics, whatever. It was the day to drive around and do a bit of curbside shopping.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Unattended dumpster.

Last tearout / rebuild job I did, some low life filled up my roll off with regulated waste. Guess who pays to dipose of it properly?

A big dumpster just seems to attract trash - the people kind - that are too lazy or cheap to deal with their own trash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
Unattended dumpster.

Last tearout / rebuild job I did, some low life filled up my roll off with regulated waste. Guess who pays to dipose of it properly?

A big dumpster just seems to attract trash - the people kind - that are too lazy or cheap to deal with their own trash.

Yeah, that happens everywhere. I like to get it done quick, the longer you leave a dumpster on the ground, the more trash it tends to attract. If it's going to be a while or if it rains, I throw a tarp over it to keep out rain and extra trash.

Originally Posted By: car51
Good afternoon BITOG faithful. Have this older TV, circa 2004 works fine and was in my place when I moved here. Don't know how to go about getting rid of it. Don't know if my borough will accept it. Thanks in advance

Just put it out on the curb with a sign "$50 works great". It will be gone the next night!!

I had a bunch of the old tube type TVs around the house...none of the places like Goodwill or the Salvation Army would take them anymore, so I was going to take them to the landfill, but they don't take them anymore either...I had to get rid of them by putting them in our trash container one at a time until they were all gone...I don't like doing that, but I didn't know what else to do with them since none of the previous options to get rid of them exist anymore...

Put it by the curb 36 hours before trash pickup day. If it remains there after trash pickup, I'll toss it in one of those nearby business dumpsters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
Unattended dumpster.

Friend of mine runs a small business. A local filled his dumpster with household trash, much of which had his name on it. Buddy took the time to gather it up and dump it on the guys lawn. Never happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back