It's Just An Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a member on this website. I decided to check out their maitenance section and came across the oil filters. They are trying to build you up so much about the MC FL-400S oil filter, you would think they were selling you an oil filter that is equivalent to something used on the space shuttle!
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-motorcraft-oem-oil-filter-9708.html

Just about any brand name filter and API approved oil will be fine for most any car (so long as the oil and filter are changed regularly). We do obsess a little over what is best here. The motorcraft filter is fine. I use an oversized fram ultra with PP or M1. It probably makes no difference what I use since I change my oil regularly.

I have two vehicles that it makes a difference, and two that do not care. The Saab and the Jag both want Baldwin or Napa Gold/WIX or they rattle on cold start. The Bronco and the Chevy truck could care less ...

My Beemer didn't care, nor the Volvo before it, nor the Sirocco.

But you fire the Saab with anything else and it sounds like a can of marbles. Same oil. I did that after one change with an AC Delco filter and was afraid I had hurt something... But I put the old Napa Gold filter back on, and it's fine - same oil. So some care ??

I hear Subie's and some Kia/Hyundai's are real particular ...

Intervention time BITOG style. We all swarm the forums and post all the tearolator pictures we have.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I am a member on this website. I decided to check out their maitenance section and came across the oil filters. They are trying to build you up so much about the MC FL-400S oil filter, you would think they were selling you an oil filter that is equivalent to something used on the space shuttle!
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-motorcraft-oem-oil-filter-9708.html

It'll wash your car for you, and adds 150hp. The price is right though.

What's with the "Long Life Oil Filter" on the side of the can. Never seen any Motorcraft that says that on the side.

An oil filter is just as important as the oil iteself and it is rare for an OEM filter to have worse new filter efficiency figures than some orange, white or black can of death. Most filter companies only list figures for a nearly blocked filter, but the clean filter figures are far more important for standard cardboard jobs.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
it is rare for an OEM filter to have worse new filter efficiency figures than some orange, white or black can of death.

Rare? What are you talking about? Toyota and Ford OEM filters have lower efficiency than the basic orange can.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What's with the "Long Life Oil Filter" on the side of the can. Never seen any Motorcraft that says that on the side.
That's an OLD picture, they said that on the side 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I don't see anything abnormal for this product page? Using normal terminology and descriptors for the product.

By reading the article I posted, it makes me want to go out and buy a case of them to throw from a Mardi Gras float down in N'awlins in a few months.
grin.gif

I use this filter quite regular on my F150's engine.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Both the MC FL400 and the FL910 are very good filters. However, the oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

OE filter for the 1989-'99 Ford Taurus SHO 3.0L, 3.2L and 3.4L motors so so much for designed for the F150.....

do they fit Toyotas?
if not they are leaving out a lot of cars. I could never find Toyota fitments.
and are they available in a long lasting version like fram ultra?

Last edited:
I've yet to see a non OEM set of new filter efficiency figures published. Looking at particle count UOA results gives a better idea than a daft set of efficiency figures based on a filter that is almost blocked. Worse still when you read those figures from the manufacturer or OEM they are often based on filtering out too large a type of particle.

I doubt the oil filter makes much difference in real life ,unless it fails and blocks the oil passageways.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I've yet to see a non OEM set of new filter efficiency figures published. Looking at particle count UOA results gives a better idea than a daft set of efficiency figures based on a filter that is almost blocked. Worse still when you read those figures from the manufacturer or OEM they are often based on filtering out too large a type of particle.

Maybe you should start a separate thread about your problem. You'd stand more chance of having your misconceptions corrected.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
DENSO

OK, I'll bite. Do you do this purely to build up your post count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back