Is any one familiar with calif gun laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not get political. I know that California sucks. I have a question I cant find the answer to.

Can I open carry on my property being that I'm in the county outside of city limits?

I don't know about CA or your local ordinances, but if you're on your own property with a legally owned firearm, you may carry it however you want(open or concealed). Check Calguns.net.

Last edited:
Hi. I tried to understand Ca gun laws when I was visiting daughter in SD, SF, and LA. Best I could figure was different municipalities had different laws. You being in the country a call to the sheriff could get you an answer. Or not. Try calguns.net

I have been told that it depends. Depends what you are carrying, how you are carrying it, if you can be seen from a street, and of the person's opinion who can see you.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Let's not get political. I know that California sucks. I have a question I cant find the answer to.

Can I open carry on my property being that I'm in the county outside of city limits?
Generically yes but if some tard calls the Sheriff who knows what will happen. Up here the Sheriff is pretty pro gun . As mentioned call the Sheriff.

Here in WI you can open carry an AK47 right down a public sidewalk BUT you dare grab your tantruming kid by an arm and carry them to the minivan and you are surrounded by the first stoplight. LOL

Since we're derailing this thread a couple of weeks ago I was riding my bike around the neighborhood and passed by a young mother pushing a stroller with a dog on a leash and open carrying a pistol! I love Arizona!

Here's some info-
12026. (a) Section 12025 shall not apply to or affect any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, who carries, either openly or concealed, anywhere within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. (b) No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.
Source(s):
Cal. Penal Code §12020 et. seq.

You can concealed carry on any private property with permission from the owner. I'm sure it is the same for open carry. If you think about it you are open carrying when you hunt.

If you've ever seen a psychiatrist, or failed a security guard psychological profile exam, no guns for you. Myself, I aced the security guard test.
grin2.gif
They've been giving me those tests all my life and I know all the right answers.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Prolly, but call your Sheriffs Office and ask? They tell you quick. Some counties may have an open carry ban.

You may not within 1,000 yards or a school or something like that, and never in a publically owned space including roadways.

Post the question on CalGuns.Net
smile.gif

Apply common sense. California is filled with anti gun liberals. So doing anything regarding carrying a firearm is going to open you up to far more unpleasant scrutiny, then it would anywhere else. If your neighbor doesn't like it, and calls it in, you're going to have issues. Perhaps you'll come out on top, but most likely you won't. The very least that will happen is you'll get aggravated.

The problem with questions like yours involving carrying firearms in liberal states, is the answer always, "depends on something". There is never anything written in stone, because liberal states change their attitude regarding firearms like they change their socks. Anywhere they can screw you... They will. I lived in Illinois for 38 years and went through much the same thing. I finally got the he!! out of there, and moved to Arizona. It was the smartest thing I ever did. The only mistake I made in doing it was waiting so long.

And as far as, "not getting political"... That's impossible. The very nature of the question involves politics, because that is what guns have become in the state of California.

Chris142, I think you live in one of the better counties in California if you want to obtain a CCW permit. You work at a garage and sometimes take large sums of cash to the bank, don't you?
Unless there is something in your past that would prevent you from obtaining a CCW, I would try getting one if I were you.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This is all they let you have in California!
crackmeup2.gif

6e297845-985d-4952-a546-a8cd8ca68bfc_1000.jpg

Animal cruelty, please wait for the SWAT team

Originally Posted By: fxrider
love Wyoming`s laws, no permit needed to carry.
Several others passed this last year the right to carry laws. Missouri with all its problems for one.

You can open or conceal carry on your own property in CA. Depending on your neighbors, waving a gun around or actual shooting could be an issue. It is against the law to shoot in my city limits, but a neighbor has been shooting coyotes and the PD hasn't shown up yet.
If you want to carry a loaded gun in your car or carry off your property, best to get a permit. Be especially careful around Game Wardens. They have rights to search that other CA LE's don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back