Is Sta-Bil OIL STABIZER needed for storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have been under a rock for a while but niw I hear that STa-Bil has this for oil and that it "protects thr cam" in storage.

I'm putting a 2005 4wd Dodge Ram Daytona 1500 5.7L hemi up for 6 month of storage. I have the tires 10% over placard and Stabil in the fuel, fresh dino oil (100miles on new oil).

Does this give off a notably effective vapor for the cam and other "dry" parts?

A change of good oil prior to a layup should be all that's needed. There has been postings of farm engines that have sat for decades outside and the pan drain has showed water but the rest of the engine look good. Was a cheap winter hobby fixing up old tractors.

I've found Sea Foam a better stabilizer. It's also popular with farmers in off season farm equipment. That's what led me to try it and I ve had excellent results.

Try stp multi purpose motor treatment it contains an antioxidant called diphenylamine.

I have used this in bad gas. a tiny dose instantly cured poor stored fuel in a van I seldom drove.

Really surprised me. link is below. stabil and seafoam pales in comparison. look at stp website for more info.

click me for link

Originally Posted By: jarad248
Try stp multi purpose motor treatment it contains an antioxidant called diphenylamine.

I have used this in bad gas. a tiny dose instantly cured poor stored fuel in a van I seldom drove.

Really surprised me. link is below. stabil and seafoam pales in comparison. look at stp website for more info.

I think there some other cause.

Diphenylamine only inhibits oxidation. It cannot reverse an already oxidized or degraded fuel.

STABIL has more than just an anti-oxidant.

Why use this additive in new oil that is not going to be used, even if the advertising says it will do anything for any engine until the next ice age starts.

I would be much more concerned about dumping the fuel, or using a Biocide additive that does not try and trash the HP fuel pump.
Also read the engine manual about long term storage, as it might say to use some oil in the fuel for a shutdown run. That will coat the HP pump and injectors, although the same good manual will probably recommend oiling the cylinders and using new coolant or an additive.

At the end of the day it's better for the engine if some good sensible person just fires up the engine for 5 mins every month.

PS: Have we got the names mixed, as the OP is talking about an oil additive, even though I thought Stabil was a fuel one.

Last edited:
Care to see stp compared to the lesser products concerning this subject.

Click here>> stp multi treatment is your $$ worth... :)

Ahh, it's just another MMO, as you can use it in the oil, fuel or best of all dustbin. No info on just why they think it beats Seafoam, just a few daft graphs.

Seafoam is for old motor boats.

Newer products perform better because of SCIENCE.

Troll speak does not diminish results in lab tests or real world applications...

Last edited:
Troll speak does not diminish results in lab tests or real world applications...

Ain't that the truth.

Seafoam is for old motor boats.

Newer products perform better because of SCIENCE.

Where does it say Seafoam, which is one of the most popular additives of all time for good reason, should be used in an old motor boat ??

That web site has no real independent certified tests or real world UOA or other reliable results. It's just advertising for the foolhardy.

Lots of science in Seafoam! The salt additives are very effective.

Mr. Molakule, what can you tell me about this:

"360 Degree Oil Stabilizer contains ThinKote Technology, which leaves a thin durable coat of protection on engine parts ensuring lubrication is available in those crucial first seconds after starting the engine"

thanks

Scotty kilmer is an older mechanic and a well respected guy and a youtuber.

If you care to watch his very short video on this subject it will bring you up to speed

concerning old and new engines and formulas. Click Here >> Scotty kilmer short vid remembers seafoam :)

Besides all of this. seafoam is full of alcohol.

If you buy gas with "ethanol" an alcohol.. you would not use this product in your fuel.

and he is old enough to remember what seafoam was Made for... Told ya...
crazy.gif

Scotty is advertising Gumout, a major competitor to Seafoam, so I presume you must be a Gumout fan or one of SKs sock puppets!

PS: He is holding a can of Gum just after the advertsing.

If you aren't here to learn the truth you get an F.

He says who sponsors him. tools usually and seldom at that.

Seafoam has it's uses. knowing what they are is the rub here..

Seafoam for you oil but not for e10 e85 gas.

Any newer product for fuel storage and in your fuel.

Using something as an example does not prove someone is a paid spokes person. which do not believe he was for this video.

Paranoia does not make you smart... it makes you something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back