Magnet is on outside of transmission pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnetic fields are distorted by intervening Fe structures (pan metal) but they still pass through. There is an adequate field on the inside of the pan that will be picking up small bits and holding them to the pan's inner surface
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Run
How many miles currently on the vehicle?

And when was the previous transmission service performed? The extra magnet on the outside of the pan is ok.

current mileage is 170,000 miles.
Service was performed 18,000 ago.
There is only 1 magnet, on the outside of the pan.

If someone pulls the magnet off or it gets knocked off on the fly, what ever clump of stuff congregated in that spot inside the pan is going to be released to the pickup screen.

HosteenJorje said:
Be sure to put some magnets in your shoes too. Protects from all kinds of evil things.
wink.gif
[/quote I have magnets in my shoes and I feel invincible.

If you happen to see an old, spent microwave oven in the trash, you can salvage an excellent couple of magnets from the magnatron. I have several and stuck one on all my tranny oil pans. These things are so strong, once they are attached, it is very difficult to remove. They are donut shaped and are a little too big to stick on the inside of the pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I found an online magnet simulator once and you wouldn't beleive how LITTLE of the field penetrates the pan. Very very little.

The magnet I use will hold a washer in place on the opposite side of the pan.

I've used a magnet on the Outside of a pan to hold magnets on the INSIDE of the pan and to increase their magnetic field.
But then again I used some JB weld to hold the magnet on the outside of the pan.

BTW, if you add magnets like this be sure to order some High Temp neodymium magnets. They'll hold their field up around 300 degrees F where others begin to lose their pull.

Did that and it picked up a set of bull nuts that fell off an Aggie driven F350.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back