Goodyear Wrangler SRA's dangerous when wet

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my 08 Silverado 2 years ago at 23k miles the factory installed Bridgestone tires where worn crookedly because the previous original owner ran them without ever getting an alignment. When I bought it I bought a brand new set of wrangler SRA take offs from a 2014 Silverado. I had them installed and an alignment done. The next week I took a trip to Montana from Indiana in the middle of winter. The tires were awesome in the snow storms I encountered on my three week journey west. Fast forward 47k miles and the tires were still at 6/32 tread but one of them got destroyed by road debris.

Since I had good luck with the first set I bought another set of new wrangler take offs from a 2016 Silverado. I've had them installed for 8k miles and they have 10/32 tread. The last two times I've driven with them in rain they are just plain scary. Earlier today I ran to the store. It has been lightly raining most of the day. As I was leaving the store turning left under gentle throttle ~1700 RPM the trans shifts into second (4L60-E) as I go through the intersection. It's now idlingish at ~1500 rpm and as I get out of the straight portion of the intersection and make my left turn. I'm going about 15mph and the back in just walks out. I'm barely on the throttle. I let off the throttle corrected and continued on. A few miles later I'm at an intersection and I'm turning right. I go when it's clear and driving normal trans shifting at 2k RPM the road gets a slight ~4% grade or so and it starts to spin at like 25mph. The locker catches (G80) and then it starts to walk. I let out and in pure frustration put it in AUTO for the rest of my journey home.

Im baffled at how horrible the wet traction is with this set of SRAs. They are just plain dangerous in the wet. Anyone else have this issue? Tires have 10/32 tread and are all set at 35psi cold per the door.

Last edited:
These tires came on my truck as OEM, the first 12 or so months they were alright but once they started to wear I agree they were plain scary, if it wasn't 75 and sunny I was nervous. Finally decided that was crazy, buy a truck and I'm nervous about rain or snow. So with only about 18k on them I dumped them and have never looked back. In fact I sold them back to discount tire (had to really push to get them to buy them) and those guys had nothing good to say about them. Basically agreed with my assesment and that was decent when new, after a little wear they are down right dangerous. In fact after buying them back, I watched them throw them out with the other used tires. Asked the manager why with decent tread left why they didn't keep them and he said he just couldn't bring himself to sell them to anyone. Really respected that but felt that spoke volumes.

Yes its an oem tire designed for gas mileage, quiet, good ride.
Its also possible it was slicker than it looked.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying you had ice

Winter 2014?2015? I was driving into work at 3am.. looked like wet road. I didnt slip with the blizzaks.. saw some guy slide through his turn and almost hit the sidewalk. I got into my parking lot.. and fell on my rear. couldnt even walk too slippery.

It's easy to make a cheap tyre that grips well in the snow or mud, BUT it costs more to make one with real good braking distance figures in the wet or on ice. The reason is the need for a different adaptive tread pattern and soft compounds.
Next time try a top of the range Conti, Dunlop, Goodyear or Michelin, then you will get what you pay for.

Don't forget that cornering performance has little to do with tyre brand or model. It has far more to do with tyre size and suspension function. Approved lowering kits can work wonders along with new shocks, springs or struts.

Yeah - ran Goodyear F1's to the Assurance Triple Tread to the Wrangler Silent Armor (Kevlar) and all worked well on wet roads.
Never had those ...

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes its an oem tire designed for gas mileage, quiet, good ride.
Its also possible it was slicker than it looked.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying you had ice

Winter 2014?2015? I was driving into work at 3am.. looked like wet road. I didnt slip with the blizzaks.. saw some guy slide through his turn and almost hit the sidewalk. I got into my parking lot.. and fell on my rear. couldnt even walk too slippery.

Here in Cincinnati today it was 45F so it was definitely not icy, However there is Likely more residual oil/grease on the road than where I used to live in rural Indiana. I definitely think the tires are just garbage in the rain.

I'll probably have to replace them, which I hate because they have 75%+ tread.

Last edited:
These are chosen for low rolling resistance. Absolutely a terrible tire.

We took them off our 2014 RAM after just a few months. My wife stated they were dangerous in the rain.

Replaced with LTX MS2.

The 265/60/20 SRAs start out with 16/32s to the wear bar and 18/32s total. They came stock on my 2500 D-max and I took them off @ 30k miles with 8/32s left. My son is on his 3rd set on a 2013 1500 SLT, 65k miles brings them down to 8/32, and off they go. Now I have a stack of 12 half worn SRA 20s.

The trick with Chev/GMCs is to turn the traction control, off-road pull the fuse. The last thing you need is the truck applying a brake to one corner in heavy rain or snow. The E rated cases I found don't like PSI below 42 and the SRAs like 8.5-9.0" wide wheels.

Cheap in Canada, we can buy them on sale @ Camadian Tired for $188 or take off's for about $100. C$ is $.75 USD.

Because of the tread depth, they are not too bad in the winter when they are brand-new.
If we had an extra set of wheels the 40% ones would work OK in the summer.

While I have found StabiliTrack a ---- saver ... I have to turn off traction control in mud, sand, dirt ... it is clueless ... takes power when you need it.

My Ford system is "smarter" - it will allow wheel spin in certain modes. Ironically - that is not the motor needing RPM to make torque ...

SRA Slippery Road Ahead.Worst tires ever.If i buy anything new and it comes with sra's ill be heading str8 to my tire guy and having them replaced asap.

Since there tires are OEM on many trucks they get a lot of feedback from owners....and I haven't read anything good.

Starting to wonder if factory tires are not the real deal - took off Hankook at 10k for same reason (wet road) replaced with Eagle GT and they are fine. (Drove in rain today in fact).
BIL not happy with factory Michelin - they seem too tight spaced for wet roads - [censored] on backroads ...

Test drive delights guess ...

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
It's been years since I was satisfied with any set of Goodyears on any of my vehicles.

+1

I still call them Good for a year after the horrible succession of Eagles and Assurances I've had on my Villager

Then I discovered good tires, like on sale Michelin's, Cooper/Generals, and well priced Continental's

Originally Posted By: 4WD
While I have found StabiliTrack a ---- saver ... I have to turn off traction control in mud, sand, dirt ... it is clueless ... takes power when you need it.

My Ford system is "smarter" - it will allow wheel spin in certain modes. Ironically - that is not the motor needing RPM to make torque ...

My truck although a heavily optioned Z71 4x4 extended cab has no traction control or stabilitrac. I was surprised when I bought it to find a vehicle that new with zero driver aid. my driver aid on wet roads with the death trap SRAs is the auto 4x4 feature and cornering like a grandma.

I'll roll them through the winter as they are surprisingly good in snow. Come April when the rain starts rolling in I'll probably replace them with some LTX M/S Michelins

I had those on my Silverado and they would spin at 1000rpm at an inclined stop sign. I had to run Auto 4x4 also. I had 6 punctures off road as well. I switched to Cooper ST MAXX and haven't had a problem in over 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back