Opinions on 2017 Highlander deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get into the advice I'm seeking, we are strictly looking at the 2017 because of the new standard safety features, 8 speed (old one was 6 speed) automatic transmission and direct injection motor. The combination of engine and transmission gives it an extra 25 HP and 15 ft. lbs. of torque over the 2016 model year yet 2 more MPG.

Drove the Limited trim today with the V6 FWD. It was smooth, quiet and just about the perfectly sized vehicle for us.

MSRP is $43,208 and they're discounting it to $37,501. Tag/registration fees are $498, some state fee for the tire/battery is $8.50 and the dealer has a prep fee of $699.

Not digging the $699 fee but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Total would be $41,031.

The dealership is discounting $5,706 off of MSRP or 13.2% which seems very fair to me.

Looking through the USAA car buying program, they estimate that I would pay $41,000 for it so he's beating the USAA car buying program estimate by quite a bit.

Does this seem like a fair deal to you guys? It seems like a no [censored] type of offer from them but there are 10 Toyota dealers within a 50 mile radius of here.

How much is a Lexus RX to compare? Seems like an awful lot of money for a done up highlander.

The MSRP discount seems decent, first question Id ask is what is the invoice price and the holdback percentage? Then, what are the factory incentives they are offering now???

Go walk into a different dealer, look at the car you like and look at the numbers.

Then say "I'd really like for it to be under $40k" and they might be able to get it to $39,990

The amount off msrp seems nice but it's not really that good since they're making up for it with their hefty dealer fees. Which why I shop for the out the price. Then they can backfill all those fees however they choose to for the paperwork.

Not sure if the 8 speed auto is the same unit they use for the LC and some Lexus models but they're having some issues apparently:

LINK

I can't edit the original post but the price that USAA quoted me was plus tax whereas the dealership price was tax included.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
$43,031 for a Toyota? I would shop around.

People pay $100k for a Chevy. What's your point?
confused.gif

You can use www.autotrader.com to get some prices in a certain mile radius. You can also get some pricing by going on Toyota.com and getting some dealer quotes. At that price point I wouldn't be surprised if you could save another $1-2k.

Also an XLE V6 is a good $3k less expensive and still comes with leather interior.

Last edited:
I would go to a few of the other dealerships. Not all of them will have the $699 document fees. Some here in Oklahoma have a $299 fee. Just get your exact specs you want and dont settle. Good luck. Even check in a different state it might be worth a drive.

All that matters is the out the door price. I don't care if the documentation fee is $0 or $700 - I don't care how they slice and dice the final numbers. Shop all the dealers in your trading area, and whoever is cheapest gets the deal. Simple.

Seems like a good deal to me. If you like the car, buy it. I'll never understand traveling to dealers all over or driving hours to save a few hundred bucks. Isn't your time worth something? Mine is. Understand theirs is too. If you're looking for certain options and the dealer won't can't locate one for you... By all means, go get it.

Buy the car at the dealer you will have the car serviced at. Dealerships can see how much you spent with them in sales, parts, and service. Guess who gets regular discounts? I'll give you a hint... It's not the bargain hunter.

You've got the vehicle you want for a very fair price. How much are you going to save by shopping around, maybe a few hundred? Maybe a thousand? Take the deal and start enjoying your new vehicle rather than spending your time going toe to toe with other dealers.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
All that matters is the out the door price. I don't care if the documentation fee is $0 or $700 - I don't care how they slice and dice the final numbers. Shop all the dealers in your trading area, and whoever is cheapest gets the deal. Simple.

Yep. Lots of deals are done over the internet.

Really, it's $38,200 plus taxes and tags. Which is 5k off the sticker. I don't think that is bad for this ride. If you like the vehicle, the dealer, and the out the door price, buy it.

Last edited:
Seems like a fair price. You can always tell the dealer you will buy if they will dump the dealer prep fee. I would be willing to bet they will. If not walk and wait a few days. If they want your business they will call. Or just suck it up and pay the fee and get the car you want. That's a nice car by the way. Everyone over pays for a new car in the end. If they tell you different they are just fooling themselves. Dealerships don't stay in business by selling cars at a loss.

I paid $50K for my first house in central NY in 1997. It was a small house, two bedrooms. But pretty nice. Attached one car garage, full concrete basement, aluminum siding, newer shingles. Bought a new Geo Metro the same year for $8K. That was a great car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Also an XLE V6 is a good $3k less expensive and still comes with leather interior.

I'm trying to see what big differences there are between the XLE and the Limited.

Saving $3k wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

You get the best deals because stealers send coupons in the mail and online and they know if they don't you wont go there. Why else would they send them?

Even the base LX Plus is very nice with alloys, privacy glass etc. I can't tell the difference between that and the higher trim levels except for the leather, moonroof which I could do without. All the ones up here are AWD and I'd prefer the FWD model.

I wouldn't rule out the 2016 which could save you an additional $2k or so. Plus they look the same. The new 8 speed my have some teething issues and DI has some pitfalls as well.

2016 AWD Highlander

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Seems like a good deal to me. If you like the car, buy it. I'll never understand traveling to dealers all over or driving hours to save a few hundred bucks. Isn't your time worth something? Mine is. Understand theirs is too. If you're looking for certain options and the dealer won't can't locate one for you... By all means, go get it.

Buy the car at the dealer you will have the car serviced at. Dealerships can see how much you spent with them in sales, parts, and service. Guess who gets regular discounts? I'll give you a hint... It's not the bargain hunter.

Those are great points there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back