Robotic vacuums

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been thinking about picking one of these up,as we've got wood floors and no matter how much we sweep,clean the floors weekly,there's still quite abit of dust,etc still left.

Who's got one?

I've had a Roomba 770 for a few years now. I think it does a much better job on hard floors than on carpet, but rugs are generally ok. It works best being run multiples times a week. I try for every other day. The bin is small, so think of it as a maintenance device, not a deep cleaning tool and you'll get along fine. I think it's best at preventing gunk and dust from collecting along the baseboards.

Don't base your opinion on the first week. You will have to do some trial and error with it. It will get itself stuck. Mine still gets stuck under the couch every once in a while and I can't let it go in the bathroom because it will close the door on itself. You may need to pull chairs away from a dining room table to ensure it can move around properly. Think of everything you move when you're sweeping or vacuuming and you kind of have an idea of where trouble spots may be.

Don't buy full price either. They're on Woot all the time and Amazon runs sales very often. A friend has both a Roomba and a Neato. His wife actually prefers the Neato, so don't be afraid and limit yourself the the more popular brand.

We have one but don't use it much. We have a cleaning lady and she uses the central vac. I mainly use the Roomba in our bathroom if I trim my beard or cut my own hair as it has a spot clean feature. I just stand back from the sink and let everything fall on the floor. I don't have to get hair all over the counter that way.

We had 2 dogs and hardwood floors with area rugs on the first floor of our house. The Roomba did a decent job but left hair along the edges of the rugs.

One of the newer rugs is pretty inexpensive and the Roomba makes a linty mess of that one on the hardwood.

I've got a roomba and like it. It will clean about as good as say you used a swiffer. However my place is relatively clean to begin with and not complicated layout, and I find vacuuming or swiffering a pain.

I got the costco roomba 805 (which is a bundled roomba 860 with 2 blocking pods and a replacement filter+side brush). This is the newer model with rubber sweepers and not brushes and newer Li-ion battery.

I suggest if you do get a roomba, do not buy any of the prior generation that uses ni-cad batteries or the older brush system.

It is not foolproof as you will need to set up your place to some degree for the roomba and have to remember to keep things off the floor
If there is stuff that the roomba can get stuck on, like wires or clothes or small light things, you'll have to pick up and move them otherwise the roomba may suck up or push those items around.

Additionally there are various stories of a cat or dog pooping, then a robot vacuum happily smear and spread the poop throughout the house. If you are in such a situation where there is a possibility of a mess on the floor, do not get a robot vacuum

If you watch your roomba it will drive you crazy due to it's inefficiency. Perhaps the top of the line laser ones that actually do mapping won't be so frustrating to watch. It's best that you set it to go when you're not there.

Last edited:
We have the Roomba 870, been using it just over 11 months in our 3000 Sq ft home.
I agree with my wife, one word, awesome.

This is the brushless one, fantastic on hard floors or carpet.
Yes of course once in a while we do the carpets with our Kirby.
The Roomba is a great maintenance vacuum to keep our home perfectly clean as we like a nice clean home.
We both work, the Roomba is a great addition to our house cleaning staff :eek:)

Last edited:
I got tired of the roomba randomness and had issues with the brush. We switched to the neato botvac about 18 months ago and really like it.

not for me. I prefer getting off my butt and moving around to get the work done. Relying on this stuff will put someone in an early grave.

Folks with central vacs should know that inspectors will routinely deny most claims against the carpet initiated by the consumer because of central vacuums. Try hooking up 50 feet of vacuum hose to your favorite vacuum, you'll quickly see why.

IMO the roomba requires far too much fussin', I'll stick with my Dysons...

Have any of you had a Roomba scratch your hardwood floors? I recently read some reviews that mentioned this.

Amazon has a low-end model, 615 maybe, for a price I would almost be willing to pay if it works as advertised.

Funny story heard on the radio just this morning about a robotic vacuum.

Owners came home to dog poo smeared all over the floor of the room. How?

Apparently the dog did its business on the floor, the robovac came "upon it" on its tour and processed the poo in such a matter that it got up in the wheels and dragged it all around the floor.

Pretty sweet machine that can do that.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Funny story heard on the radio just this morning about a robotic vacuum.

Owners came home to dog poo smeared all over the floor of the room. How?

Apparently the dog did its business on the floor, the robovac came "upon it" on its tour and processed the poo in such a matter that it got up in the wheels and dragged it all around the floor.

Pretty sweet machine that can do that.

Amazon has some user reviews that illustrate that process very well with photos.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Moral of the story, don't get a robotic vacuum if you have a dog that [censored] in your house. :eek:)
If I had a dog that poops in the house I would take it out behing the pond and put a 22 LR into it.

Anyone that says their dog has never pooped in their house is simply not telling the truth, they all have done it...and no..I don't own a dog..or cat..

Last edited:
Anyone that says their dog has never pooped in their house is simply not telling the truth, they all have done it.
I had 2 Dalmations that never pooped in the house, a Yellow lab that never pooped in the house and a Border Collie lab mix that never pooped in the house.I have 0 use for a stupid Dog.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Anyone that says their dog has never pooped in their house is simply not telling the truth, they all have done it.
I had 2 Dalmations that never pooped in the house, a Yellow lab that never pooped in the house and a Border Collie lab mix that never pooped in the house.I have 0 use for a stupid Dog.

Agree with you and my experience with our dog and past dogs.
However, I wouldnt call a dog stupid if it [censored] in the house any more then I would call a child stupid, Its the owners fault for not properly training..

Back to the Roomba, we have the 870 without the brushes and love it. If one is considering one, they simply have to look at the reviews on Amazon for whatever model they are considering and see if it is right for them, rather then get opinions in here from people who do not have one.
After one full year of owning this model I can tell anyone, we will never be without a Robotic vacuum.
586 reviews here on this model, overall 4.5 out of 5. Not many products get that high an endorsement.
Click for Rooma Proof

Last edited:
Anyone that says their dog has never pooped in their house is simply not telling the truth, they all have done it...and no..I don't own a dog..or cat..

Absolute nonsense. My old coonhound mix Janet would rather burst than go in the house.

I now own a Blue Tic Coonhound and an Amstaff, and they would become outside dogs INSTANTLY if they go in the house!

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: CT8

Agree with you and my experience with our dog and past dogs.
However, I wouldnt call a dog stupid if it [censored] in the house any more then I would call a child stupid, Its the owners fault for not properly training..

Back to the Roomba, we have the 870 without the brushes and love it. If one is considering one, they simply have to look at the reviews on Amazon for whatever model they are considering and see if it is right for them, rather then get opinions in here from people who do not have one.
After one full year of owning this model I can tell anyone, we will never be without a Robotic vacuum.
586 reviews here on this model, overall 4.5 out of 5. Not many products get that high an endorsement.
Click for Rooma Proof

Yup,no matter what,we are getting one,end of story. I've been shopping on Amazon,checkin the reviews etc,then also checking out youtube videos with people using them.

It's been interesting so far
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back